Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,486   Posts: 1,571,303   Online: 789

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Kodak still makes this 35mm color E-6 film:
    http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Produ...Films/5285.htm

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Fuji has been dominating the chrome market for quite awhile now, just like Kodak dominating color neg film. As long as they were competing head to head probably neither was able to make decent
    money. It was raw competition, that's all. They can't afford that now. This was inevitable bankruptcy or not. It hardly means the end of E6 or chrome films per se. Three-hour long slide shows
    of Aunt Maud's vacation to Peoria might be over, since she can now post her shots on the web.
    But there are plenty of other valid reasons to keep chrome film going. But one inevitabel side effect of specialization rather than head-to-head competition is that you can expect both chrome and
    color neg films to significantly rise in price. But economies of scale dictate the two companies
    specialize in what they do best in this respect. Overhead itself is rising quickly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Poop.
    My sentiments exactly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it would be good to remember that you can still have a slide show if you have slides, they don't just jump in the trash can upon a product being discontinued. Also, digital did not kill slide film nearly as much as C-41 films back in the heyday as even with family snapshots done on Kodachrome, people still wanted prints. Once C-41 took over the family happy-snap, it were pros and select enthusiasts who were left with E6 and that use of it got mostly killed off with digital...

I used slides almost exclusively for select work along side digital up until about 5 years ago, then shot my 1,200 rolls of Kodachrome and knew this was coming, moved to all Portra, Ektar and black and white. I also just sold off a fair amount of now way overpriced Leica aspheric glass because quite frankly, I just did not see the difference nearly as much in using it on a M9 or with black and white...color slide is practically what Leica Asph glass was made for...

I bet Fuji does hang on for a bit, but with some 50 rolls of it in 120/220/35mm in the fridge, I am pretty set...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm really sad to see E100VS go and have ordered several 5 packs in addition to the ones I already got when Kodak's downward spiral accelerated. This won't let me shoot E100VS forever, but should give me some time to adjust to the new situation and find a suitable alternative.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    Artistophanes wrote: "Trust is no longer a business consideration for Kodak. It makes no difference to the bottom line anymore. Kodak invested billions of $$$'s in their films and the brand, and their customers walked away. The currency of trust in private contract makes no sense when your customer is flirting with everything else in sight."

I was actually talking about "trust" in the sense that Kodak, for a long time now, have been promising to support analog, then, within months, discontinuing products one after the other. That's nothing to do with customers choosing alternatives, analog or digital....the latter is just hubris, bad management and failure to compete on the part of Kodak. You can't blame the customers.

But it is another reason for customers to choose other brands with a better "image" of trust and reliability, particularly as the Kodak name disappears from shops and shelves.
    The other brands are under the same pressure of declining demand.

It's an industry-wide problem. From Fuji's perspective this may not be a good thing because they are now seen as the sole source for tying their brand to the E6 product in constant demand decline. If they cannot find enough customers, then Fuji will get the "killed it" tag.

Kodak cannot afford to invest in fickle customers. It has a fiscal duty to its shareholders (now creditors) and it often makes sense in business to walk away from products and customers that do not serve the bottom line.

Both Kodak and Fuji appear to be helpless in stemming the drop in film demand. That's why I hope some Hollywood connected private equity will pick up the market and consolidate.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Kodak still plans to offer E6 chemistry and compete with Fuji in this category. That means they think
    E6 process lines still have a future. But their chemistry is made by a spinoff not subject to the
    bankruptcy, so without the same disruptive factor. As usual, I suspect Aristophanes is actually an undercover digital camera saleman.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Poop.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As usual, I suspect Aristophanes is actually an undercover digital camera saleman.

I'd say maybe more connected to reality than some on these "wake" threads.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Kodak still plans to offer E6 chemistry and compete with Fuji in this category. That means they think
    E6 process lines still have a future. But their chemistry is made by a spinoff not subject to the
    bankruptcy, so without the same disruptive factor.
    Champion isn't a spin off company, it was formed by the merger of May & Baker's Phohoto Division with other companies in Canada & the US, they used to make Ilford & Paterson's chemistry until accepting the contract to manufacture Kodak's chemistry.

As usual, I suspect Aristophanes is actually an undercover digital camera saleman.
    along with CGW

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin