Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,691   Online: 1191

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    From the perspective of the overall world of photography, I'm sorry to see it go, but I don't find it surprising. My own slide shooting started tapering off 30 years ago.

My most recent attempts at transparencies have run into "local" processing taking two weeks or more, and in some cases, evidence of less than careful handling, and I don't use enough to even consider doing it myself. I do have a few rolls of Provia here yet, but they aren't being consumed very rapidly.

"The only thing constant is change."
    Dave -
    I don't know who you use for E6 processing, but I've been satisfied with Colourworks in Wilmington.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Ugh. I don't shoot much slide film now but when I do I prefer E100G since Fuji dropped Astia. If Fuji would bring back Astia the reversal world would be ok again. Well if we also had Ilfochrome. Yeesh.
    I would kill, KILL I SAY, for fresh Astia, especially in sheet film.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Yes Ian, I'm aware of Champion. I was using the term spinoff loosely. They spun off their chemisty to Champion,
    which seems to be doing just fine. But another annoyance with the doomsayers - what makes you think E6 only
    applies to projector slides? Do you think that every landscape photographer using 4x5 is going to switch to a
    thirty grand fragile digital back that will be software-obsolete in five years and not deliver half the quality?
    And there are still serious editing advantages to slapping a nice big chrome down on a lightbox rather than
    guessing about it on a screen. I'm hardly naive about this. Digital is killing off certain film applications, but
    digital is also killing off digital at a far more rapid pace. How often can you afford to replace your gear? Amateur
    digital cameras will be made extinct by cell phones, then these will be exterminated by something else soon enough. It's just how the consumer electronics industry keeps alive. Constant obsolescence. But you can go down to any pawnshop and probably find a reasonably usable 35mm film camera for fifty bucks with the probability that some kind of film will still be made for it twenty years from now. I've heard these end of the world scenarios several times before when several popular film of paper products disappeared around the same
    time. We all have our favorites. I hate to see Kodachrome, E100G, and Cibachrome go. But they had a great run.
    And I have no intentions of giving up a color darkroom. No need to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Yes Ian, I'm aware of Champion. I was using the term spinoff loosely. They spun off their chemisty to Champion,
    which seems to be doing just fine.
    Champion is listed as one of Kodak's biggest unpaid, unsecured creditors in the bankruptcy filing. And creditors are amazingly vulnerable in a bankruptcy.

Sorry to sound like a couple of eastern Canadians.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't shoot Kodak E6 normally but I will shoot some before it's all gone.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ugh. I don't shoot much slide film now but when I do I prefer E100G since Fuji dropped Astia. If Fuji would bring back Astia the reversal world would be ok again. Well if we also had Ilfochrome. Yeesh.
    I see Astia 120 readily available at Adorama.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If Fuji would bring back Astia the reversal world would be ok again. Well if we also had Ilfochrome. Yeesh.
    And Agfa Scala.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Champion is listed as one of Kodak's biggest unpaid, unsecured creditors in the bankruptcy filing. And creditors are amazingly vulnerable in a bankruptcy.

Sorry to sound like a couple of eastern Canadians.
    Champion will be hit quite hard in all this and to think they ditched former customers to take on this contract.

About 8 years ago the company I was working for were approached by Kodak to take over their silver recovery (in the UK), the investment needed was too high to meet Kodaks requirements and there was no guarantee of it being a viable proposition. Essentially they wanted everything done their way without taking any risks themselves.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not surprised but it's disappointing. I haven't shot color slide film in years in a still camera but I do shoot Ektachrome 100D in Super 8mm and would love to be able to continue shooting it and projecting it. I checked Kodak's web site to see if there was any information about Ektachrome 100D in Super 8mm and couldn't find any. I filled out their online form to request information about 100D Super 8mm availability and will post again if I hear any news.

I'm never quite sure where Fuji stands on product availability. Do they still make sheet E-6 film? It would be a shame if there were no options left for transparency sheet film users.

-Tim

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteZ8 View Post
    Through social networking. No longer is there a need to use food and alcohol to entice your friends and family into sitting in a dark room so they can be bored to death by ones vacation photos. They're up on Facebook long before the vacation is even over, and people can now ignore them from the comfort of their own computer screen.
    Yet with all of this new-found technology and incredibly shortened speed of delivery, photography has never been at a lower level of signal:noise then ever before - and, btw, the signal ain't so hot either. In general the "art" of photography is receiving a quality beat-down due to both massive over-consumption and massive over-production of imagery. The heavy majority of which is mediocre.

Remove limitations, receive crap.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin