Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,967   Posts: 1,523,385   Online: 1153

Shooter
    Medium Format

Worthy crowdsourcing project for APUG lovers

Amazing photographer Toby Deveson is running a crowdsourcing project over at http://www.indiegogo.com/TobyDeveson that I think anyone who loves analog photography might be interested in backing. He's not only looking to do a show, but also celebrate & educate people in the wonderful process of film photography and printing. Here's an outtake from the website...

"With iconic brands like Kodak facing bankruptcy, I am afraid that film, along with all the excitement and wonderment I experienced as a teenager, is at risk of becoming obsolete. Photography students, for example, will often go through their entire course without entering a darkroom.

It is time to celebrate the power of film, and I intend to get my work out there and use it to evangelise about what I believe in.

During the exhibition I will invite students and kids to come and talk to me so I can share the skills, knowledge and passion I've developed over those 22 years. Seeing darkroom prints and speaking directly to the photographer will, I hope, inspire the students and increase the likelihood of them developing skills in analogue photography."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I was young you just hung the photographs on the wall.

So, now to "hang my photographs at the Strand Gallery in London for a week long exhibition" one needs an Executive Producer, a Production Manager, a Designer, a Film Editor & Musician and a partnership with a media networking production company?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    ... one needs an Executive Producer, a Production Manager, a Designer, a Film Editor & Musician and a partnership with a media networking production company?
    Don't really need them for everyday work, but it would be nice to have 'em around.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think it's important to remember that these kind of things can have an air of "this is what I've been doing all my life, please validate my knowledge" for those who might favour digital. Sharing this knowledge is valuable, but I'd hope Mr. Deveson will emphasise the importance of film in a historical context. The fact that all the great work has been produced with traditional material means the inherent aesthetic of film is something people will always try to emulate, so long as the images are available to them in books. This is what gets kids shooting film, not a sentimentality for the process. They can't experience 'the magic of the darkroom' until they've experienced the magic of all those great photographs produced there.

I'm not sure about this new media buzz word, 'crowdsourcing'. It's cropping up everywhere at the moment and leaves me a little suspicious of those using it.

Having said this, if I wasn't such a poor post-grad, I'd happily contribute. I'm sure the target will be reached.
    Last edited by batwister; 03-16-2012 at 11:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by amsp View Post
    During the exhibition I will invite students and kids to come and talk to me so I can share the skills, knowledge and passion I've developed over those 22 years. Seeing darkroom prints and speaking directly to the photographer will, I hope, inspire the students and increase the likelihood of them developing skills in analogue photography."
    Hey, I'll be glad to do this, too. Everybody just send me $15,000.00!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "crowdsourcing" == getting someone else to pay for your hobbies. ^_^

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I honestly don't get the negativity displayed here. It's not like the guy is asking for money just to hang his photos in a gallery, did you read the text and watch the video? He's trying to celebrate and inspire people to shoot film before it's gone forever, I thought that would go over a little better around here. Also, you are not just giving him money, there are incentives like postcards and darkroom prints. But hey, if you don't want to contribute no one is forcing you, but there's also no need to pass it off like some sort of scam. There are tons of cool and fun projects nowadays that are seeing the light of day thanks only to this kind of financing, and everyone is free to back whatever they like. Have a look here for example: http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/...ed?ref=sidebar

cheers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The fellow has talent, and he has a lot of photographs that I like. However, with only four days remaining, I don't see how he can raise another $3000+ to get to his goal. (I myself sponsored the Afghan Box Camera project, so that's it for my money.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by amsp View Post
    I honestly don't get the negativity displayed here. It's not like the guy is asking for money just to hang his photos in a gallery, ... He's trying to celebrate and inspire people to shoot film before it's gone forever, ...
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Hey, I'll be glad to do this, too. Everybody just send me $15,000.00!
    I wasn't being entirely factitious. I would be glad to be an evangelist for film if someone else is paying for it. Artists have been asking people for money for forever, but usually in the form of grants or private solicitations of a sponsor/patron. Just putting up a website saying "send me money" seems a little lazy, that's all.

Plus, his price is a bit high and he is making some assumptions. Namely, that without his efforts, film will, indeed, die.

Seriously, good luck to him, but the proposal just seemed a little over the top to some of us.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin