Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,496   Posts: 1,543,050   Online: 1017

Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161721 ... LastLast
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Dang! I was just about to ...
    Someone already did on the first page. I'm surprised no one has brought up Plus-X or TXP.

Edit: someone did.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingWaves View Post
    I think a 'duh' film for me to bring back would be TXP 320. Its still being made as a sheet film so the formula is current (not like the Panatomic-X which has Cadmium).
    Put 1000 rolls up in 220 and I'm certain it would sell out.
    or 120. =)

Love that film
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah Smith View Post
    Heck, if they would just advertise Film's GOOD properties a little, I'm sure you'd see at least hundreds of thousands in the U.S. dust off their film cameras and join the new "too cool to shoot a digicam - so I shoot film" trend. .....
    ......But, Kodak needs to do an advertizing blitz about the SOUL of photography and blah, blah about film being awesome...and voila - you will have a run on film, guaranteed. Marketers don't call us all "sheeple" for nothing. They need to get some GOOD PR machines working for them. Believe me, they exist hardcore in this country, I don't know why Kodak is not using them.
    Jedidiah, Kodak are client to one of the top Ad agencies in the world - Ogilvy & Mather. David Ogilvy is considered the father of advertising.
    This is the last Kodak Ad campaign I heard about http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/thework/1088379/ by Ogilvy & Mather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    The difference might be substantial in a 20x30 print but probably only from 35mm. If you want to print 20x30 you don't need a sharper, finer grained and painfully slow film (which will also do nothing for your lens that will be sorely tested) - you need a bigger negative.

I think that's why Tech Pan is gone - TMX in 35mm is good enough that the limiting factors become other than film - to get the most from it you must lock your mirror up (if using an SLR- could also use a rangefinder of course) and shoot off a tripod AND have a superb lens, and you still have the tonality and spectral response to deal with. And if you are going to shoot off a sturdy tripod anyway you might as well use a camera big enough for the job, especially now that they are affordable.
    Roger, the difference is substantial in medium format as well. Thats why they are offering it in that format since a few months.
    Also, I think its available upon request in larger sizes as well, not without a reason. Yep, its spreading to other formats, folks.
    The new developer they did last year for the medium format launch is spectacular.

At least in Europe, Kodak Technical Pan was unreasonably priced and partially that helped its demise., these days most Kodak products are still keeping double prices over here and less and less folks are buying it.

As for Tmax, well Rollei Retro 80S completely murders Tmax in all regards and have the same speed. It has been talked about many times.
    Both, Adox CMS and Retro Retro 80S and some other films are in fact made by AGFA, so QC is top notch and more than whats needed.
    AGFA don't sell directly to end customers anymore, only biz to biz, hence You have Adox and Rollei doing what they are doing.
    Same story with papers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well I always loved APX 100 and 400. Where are they?

And while they're at it, bring back Agfa's last line of C41 films. Optima 100 was good but nothing that I can't get from Portra, close enough. But Ultra 50 had a saturation that was just incredible, even more than today's Ektar 100, heck I think it was more saturated than Velvia. I rarely wanted such exaggerated color but when I wanted it, Ultra 50 delivered. What I'd like even better would be something like Portrait 160. Today we have highly saturated film (Ektar 100) and moderately highly saturated film (everything else) - there is no muted pastel film available. I've no idea how to get that kind of look anymore from film/paper. The only way I know to get it is digitally.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    And while they're at it, bring back Agfa's last line of C41 films.
    How are Kodak going to do that?!!!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Roger, they say the last reincarnation of APX is still on the market as APX100 from Agfaphoto or as Rollei Retro 100.
    Apart from that, Adox got the machines and engineers form AFGA that did APX, so its a matter of time to start rolling.
    http://www.adox.de/english/ADOX%20Films/Fims.html
    You can see that they are working on it - ADOX Pan 100 (i.p.), ADOX Pan 400

Resurrect color is a no go, at least not in Europe.. given the current economy situation and market.
    Ektar is a perfect film, so shoot it while You still have it.

Some Kodak ads from 1970 till present http://www.advertolog.com/brands/kodak/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    How are Kodak going to do that?!!!

Steve.
    Little bit of a diversion there. The poster I was responding to was saying that Adox film was just Agfa. So I meant, well, in that case, have them (Adox) give us those films.

Back to Kodak dreamin'...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by georg16nik View Post
    Roger, they say the last reincarnation of APX is still on the market as APX100 from Agfaphoto or as Rollei Retro 100.
    Apart from that, Adox got the machines and engineers form AFGA that did APX, so its a matter of time to start rolling.
    http://www.adox.de/english/ADOX%20Films/Fims.html
    You can see that they are working on it - ADOX Pan 100 (i.p.), ADOX Pan 400

Resurrect color is a no go, at least not in Europe.. given the current economy situation and market.
    Ektar is a perfect film, so shoot it while You still have it.

Some Kodak ads since the 1970 http://www.advertolog.com/brands/kodak/
    I do like Ektar a lot, and it's less...temperamental than Ultra 50 was. But damn that film was something.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Why we're very unlikely to see any of these past films resurrected is that everyone wants certain favorites,
    and Kodak has already done an excellent job of making their remaining film lineup the most versatile ever.
    Pooling buying power on specialty products isn't that easy unless you're gov't, a huge industrial user, or some outfit looking to rebrand and volume distribute yourself. Chromes from them are probably gone for good. But in anything like a custom run of anything else, just be happy if it's less than seven figures. Maybe if it one of their old standby products, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If you want them to stay in business, keep buying what they offer now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i find it very strange that they dismantled the whole processing side of their business,
    killed off paper, sold off the chemistry division, has discontinued emulsion after emulsion.
    then a month or so after they file for bankruptcy, say they are going to resurrect all their old
    emulsions in a boutique quantities ... they just raised their prices again by 15%, i can only imagine
    how much their new boutique line of film will cost the consumer. a 100sheet box of tmy has more than doubled in price in the
    past 10 years, if in boutique amounts made its going to cost 4x what i paid 10years ago ... in the middle of a recession, i don't think
    many people will buy already excessively expensive film.
    but then again, maybe they are just coming to their senses ?
    maybe they will sell master rolls of sheet film to our good friends in california to cut to custom sizes, notch and package ...

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    As much as I'd like to see some of the wishes posted here come true (especially Pan-X), I've often wondered (if, indeed, Kodak is committed to film) why they don't have a presence here, on APUG. Talk about the target market... If a Kodak rep was as accessible as Mr. Galley is for Ilford, we wouldn't need to speculate. Seems like a no-brainer, to me. One of the reasons I'm using more Ilford products than in the past is Simon's presence here. His participation speaks volumes about Ilford's commitment, and the increasing loyalty I have for Ilford products.

hi eddie,
    i know exactly what you mean. having simon here is the icing on the cake !
    with no one from KOduck here, this is just 11 pages of speculation ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin