Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,137   Posts: 1,637,420   Online: 936

Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213141516171822 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If film regains the popularity that other "forgotten" items have, such as vinyl records, Kodak could be on to something. Who would have thought in the late '90s that records would be as popular as they are now? Some 2 or 3 million vinyl albums were sold last year, more than in 1991. Same could happen with film as well.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=jnanian;1320496]i find it very strange that they dismantled the whole processing side of their business,
    killed off paper, sold off the chemistry division, has discontinued emulsion after emulsion.
    then a month or so after they file for bankruptcy, say they are going to resurrect all their old
    emulsions in a boutique quantities ... they just raised their prices again by 15%, i can only imagine
    how much their new boutique line of film will cost the consumer. a 100sheet box of tmy has more than doubled in price in the
    past 10 years, if in boutique amounts made its going to cost 4x what i paid 10years ago ... in the middle of a recession, i don't think
    many people will buy already excessively expensive film.
    but then again, maybe they are just coming to their senses ?
    maybe they will sell master rolls of sheet film to our good friends in california to cut to custom sizes, notch and package ...

Might be best just to chill on this one. I'm still looking for a press release. To date, this amounts to "unnamed sources say..." and may be what an over-refreshed Kodak rep said to an over-refreshed audience. Who knows? Back to warming up some film.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Basically murders how? Sharpness or some other benchmarker-based number? They're not even remotely the same kind of film. A Toyota murders a Ferrari on gas mileage too.

You can't shoot everything with 80S.
    Yes, You can shoot everything with 80S, if You've tried it and dev in the appropriate developers., You would know it.
    On top of that 80S is sensitive up to 750nm, so its IR capable film.

Some folks say that You can't develop everything in Rodinal but if You know what You are doing, then its like a walk in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    ..To date, this amounts to "unnamed sources say..." and may be what an over-refreshed Kodak rep said to an over-refreshed audience. Who knows? Back to warming up some film.
    Obviously, there was an event.
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    thou, the page is deleted now but still safe in google's cache

Hollywood Section Meeting March 20, 2012

Section Meeting

Tue, 03/20/2012 - 6:30pm - 9:30pm

HOLLYWOOD SECTION MEETING
    TUESDAY, MARCH 20, 2012
    The next section meeting date will be on Tuesday, March 20th at the Linwood Dunn Theater.
    Reception at 6:30pm, and the program will start at 7:30pm
    The subject will be:
    THE TECHNOLOGY OF FILM, FROM THE BEGINNING UNTIL NOW, presented by
    Beverly Pasterczyk.
    More details will be posted soon.
    Linwood Dunn Theater 1313 N. Vine St.
    Los Angeles, CA 90038United States
    34° 5' 40.6572" N, 118° 19' 37.164" W

Looks like Ms. Pasterczyk might be reached here http://www.smpte.org/smpte/70066/contact

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by georg16nik View Post
    Looks like Ms. Pasterczyk might be reached here http://www.smpte.org/smpte/70066/contact
    There 'ya go, CGW...

Ken
    "There is very limited audience for the arty stuff, and it is largely comprised of other arty types, most of whom have no money to spend because no one is buying their stuff either. More people bring their emotions to an image than bring their intellect. The former are the folks who have checkbooks because they are engineers, accountants, and bankers—and generally they are engineers, accountants and bankers because they are not artists."

— Amanda Tomlin, Looking Glass Magazine, 2014

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by georg16nik View Post
    Yes, You can shoot everything with 80S, if You've tried it and dev in the appropriate developers., You would know it.
    On top of that 80S is sensitive up to 750nm, so its IR capable film.

Some folks say that You can't develop everything in Rodinal but if You know what You are doing, then its like a walk in the park.

Obviously, there was an event.

thou, the page is deleted now but still safe in google's cache

Go ahead and see if she responds. I've seen the SMPTE notice, thanks, when I tried to drill down. I'm still waiting, though, for the OP to post a link to his source.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Go ahead and see if she responds. I've seen the SMPTE notice, thanks, when I tried to drill down. I'm still waiting, though, for the OP to post a link to his source.
    A friend of mine from the movie biz in Hollywood already sent her an email.
    I will let You guys know.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Trying to compare TMax to Rollei based upon the requirement of enlarging 35mm negs its a pretty narrow perspective. TMX is very consistently mfg and remarkably versatile, coming in multiple formats, and responding
    in a very predictable fashion in many difficult technical scenarios. I don't personally do general shooting in 35mm
    either (though I have for expensive clients, when the look was appropriate), but do use it in the lab for various
    tricky things like color separation negs and masks; and in the past, as a very predictable film for architectural shots in large format. I love it in 8x10 as a portrait film. It has great micro-contrast and a very long scale, with
    excellent separation deep into the shadows. Needs to be correctly metered, however - not a film for bozos. For
    general outdoor shooting I prefer its faster cousin, TMY-2. But my idea of a really big enlargment from 35mm is
    8X10! Want a big print, get a big camera!

Shooter
    127 Format
    I believe there was an enterprising soul who was getting special runs of Kodak film to cut into sheets, re-box and distribute. I think the magic number from Kodak was $50,000 for such an order.

This has to be verified of course, but a $50,000 minimum to get a special run does not sound insurmountable.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It isn't insurmountable if a dealer or group of dealers gets together and does it. They can project demand over, say, a year, and put in an order. Things might run out toward the end, or a bit might be left over and sold off at closeout, but it could work well that way.

I keep reading about how the price will increase. Why should it increase with smaller runs necessarily? It's quite possible that the reason the price is where it is now is that they have to produce more than they can sell and have a lot of waste, and that the big machines require a lot more material to make a run than they can actually sell in resulting product. In other words, "right sized" production could actually lower costs and thus, ideally, prices - or, more likely, maybe hold the line on further increases.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Why we're very unlikely to see any of these past films resurrected is that everyone wants certain favorites,
    and Kodak has already done an excellent job of making their remaining film lineup the most versatile ever.
    Pooling buying power on specialty products isn't that easy unless you're gov't, a huge industrial user, or some outfit looking to rebrand and volume distribute yourself. Chromes from them are probably gone for good. But in anything like a custom run of anything else, just be happy if it's less than seven figures. Maybe if it one of their old standby products, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If you want them to stay in business, keep buying what they offer now.
    I fear you may well be right, though it isn't that bad because, as you say, their current films are so good.

If any discontinued films were to be brought back I think E6, being the most recently discontinued, would be the most likely. E100G also fits a niche that nobody else fills right now, a moderate contrast transparency film. Ok, Astia is a bit better in that regard and still readily available in 4x5 and 120, but not in 35mm or larger sizes and it's remaining stock only.

BUT - I keep remembering my conversation with the Freestyle rep when I called to check on stock of 35mm E100G. He said they just got in 200 or 250 rolls, forget which, and "we usually sell about 10 rolls a month so you should be fine." Ten rolls a MONTH in 35mm, for what is certainly one of the biggest dealers in North America. No wonder they discontinued it, and no wonder I agree that the odds of getting it back would be slim.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin