Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,474   Posts: 1,570,977   Online: 815

Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213141516171822 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi eddie,
    i know exactly what you mean. having simon here is the icing on the cake !
    with no one from KOduck here, this is just 11 pages of speculation ...
    I have never understood why no-one from Kodak ever seems to appear here....surely it's a no brainer that this is an ideal way (presumably at little or no cost?) of communicating directly with genuine enthusiasts? I think that PE has said that APUG is read by Kodak people, but that means nothing.

(OTOH, Kodak seem to have missed the obvious for years now, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.... )

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by georg16nik View Post
    As for Tmax, well Rollei Retro 80S completely murders Tmax in all regards and have the same speed. It has been talked about many times.
    Both, Adox CMS and Retro Retro 80S and some other films are in fact made by AGFA, so QC is top notch and more than whats needed.
    AGFA don't sell directly to end customers anymore, only biz to biz, hence You have Adox and Rollei doing what they are doing.
    Same story with papers.
    Basically murders how? Sharpness or some other benchmarker-based number? They're not even remotely the same kind of film. A Toyota murders a Ferrari on gas mileage too.

You can't shoot everything with 80S.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If film regains the popularity that other "forgotten" items have, such as vinyl records, Kodak could be on to something. Who would have thought in the late '90s that records would be as popular as they are now? Some 2 or 3 million vinyl albums were sold last year, more than in 1991. Same could happen with film as well.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=jnanian;1320496]i find it very strange that they dismantled the whole processing side of their business,
    killed off paper, sold off the chemistry division, has discontinued emulsion after emulsion.
    then a month or so after they file for bankruptcy, say they are going to resurrect all their old
    emulsions in a boutique quantities ... they just raised their prices again by 15%, i can only imagine
    how much their new boutique line of film will cost the consumer. a 100sheet box of tmy has more than doubled in price in the
    past 10 years, if in boutique amounts made its going to cost 4x what i paid 10years ago ... in the middle of a recession, i don't think
    many people will buy already excessively expensive film.
    but then again, maybe they are just coming to their senses ?
    maybe they will sell master rolls of sheet film to our good friends in california to cut to custom sizes, notch and package ...

Might be best just to chill on this one. I'm still looking for a press release. To date, this amounts to "unnamed sources say..." and may be what an over-refreshed Kodak rep said to an over-refreshed audience. Who knows? Back to warming up some film.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Basically murders how? Sharpness or some other benchmarker-based number? They're not even remotely the same kind of film. A Toyota murders a Ferrari on gas mileage too.

You can't shoot everything with 80S.
    Yes, You can shoot everything with 80S, if You've tried it and dev in the appropriate developers., You would know it.
    On top of that 80S is sensitive up to 750nm, so its IR capable film.

Some folks say that You can't develop everything in Rodinal but if You know what You are doing, then its like a walk in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    ..To date, this amounts to "unnamed sources say..." and may be what an over-refreshed Kodak rep said to an over-refreshed audience. Who knows? Back to warming up some film.
    Obviously, there was an event.
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    thou, the page is deleted now but still safe in google's cache

Hollywood Section Meeting March 20, 2012

Section Meeting

Tue, 03/20/2012 - 6:30pm - 9:30pm

HOLLYWOOD SECTION MEETING
    TUESDAY, MARCH 20, 2012
    The next section meeting date will be on Tuesday, March 20th at the Linwood Dunn Theater.
    Reception at 6:30pm, and the program will start at 7:30pm
    The subject will be:
    THE TECHNOLOGY OF FILM, FROM THE BEGINNING UNTIL NOW, presented by
    Beverly Pasterczyk.
    More details will be posted soon.
    Linwood Dunn Theater 1313 N. Vine St.
    Los Angeles, CA 90038United States
    34° 5' 40.6572" N, 118° 19' 37.164" W

Looks like Ms. Pasterczyk might be reached here http://www.smpte.org/smpte/70066/contact

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like Ms. Pasterczyk might be reached here http://www.smpte.org/smpte/70066/contact
    There 'ya go, CGW...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, You can shoot everything with 80S, if You've tried it and dev in the appropriate developers., You would know it.
    On top of that 80S is sensitive up to 750nm, so its IR capable film.

Some folks say that You can't develop everything in Rodinal but if You know what You are doing, then its like a walk in the park.

Obviously, there was an event.

thou, the page is deleted now but still safe in google's cache

Go ahead and see if she responds. I've seen the SMPTE notice, thanks, when I tried to drill down. I'm still waiting, though, for the OP to post a link to his source.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Go ahead and see if she responds. I've seen the SMPTE notice, thanks, when I tried to drill down. I'm still waiting, though, for the OP to post a link to his source.
    A friend of mine from the movie biz in Hollywood already sent her an email.
    I will let You guys know.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Trying to compare TMax to Rollei based upon the requirement of enlarging 35mm negs its a pretty narrow perspective. TMX is very consistently mfg and remarkably versatile, coming in multiple formats, and responding
    in a very predictable fashion in many difficult technical scenarios. I don't personally do general shooting in 35mm
    either (though I have for expensive clients, when the look was appropriate), but do use it in the lab for various
    tricky things like color separation negs and masks; and in the past, as a very predictable film for architectural shots in large format. I love it in 8x10 as a portrait film. It has great micro-contrast and a very long scale, with
    excellent separation deep into the shadows. Needs to be correctly metered, however - not a film for bozos. For
    general outdoor shooting I prefer its faster cousin, TMY-2. But my idea of a really big enlargment from 35mm is
    8X10! Want a big print, get a big camera!

Shooter
    127 Format
    I believe there was an enterprising soul who was getting special runs of Kodak film to cut into sheets, re-box and distribute. I think the magic number from Kodak was $50,000 for such an order.

This has to be verified of course, but a $50,000 minimum to get a special run does not sound insurmountable.
    - Bill Lynch

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin