Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,521   Posts: 1,572,239   Online: 829

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're all high.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    We're tryin'. Pass the bong...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    There were smaller volume machines made so it is vaguely possible.

Ian
    The K-labs. Not sure how well they worked, but they were made.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    $$$ Wonder if film prices will spike, especially if its sold with processing included. Be careful what you wish for...

How far away is April 1?
    Depends on the film and how much it spikes. I just paid over $10 a roll for ten rolls of E100G. I'd gladly pay $20 a roll for Kodachrome 64 with processing included. I'd not pay more than, say, $25 though, not while E6 films and processing are still readily available (and processing IS readily available - you may have to send it out; I'm fine with that and do it all the time anyway.)

$50 Drew? Ouch, yeah, not many would pay that. But isn't 8x10 Ektar already something like $10-$13 or so? $20 a sheet for 8x10 Kodachrome processing included doesn't look that bad compared to those numbers.

Still, I'll be happy to get it back in 35mm.

While we're all getting high on the prospect of a return of Kodachrome, get them to run some type R paper for all those chromes too. Happy days again...

(And then I woke up - but it still could be a good thing ultimately, just maybe not THIS good.)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I love this speculation! Let's hope it pans out this way!
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am hallucinating... I was in the darkroom... maybe I forgot to turn on the ventilation system?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While I'm not going to hold my breath, it might be fun to pause just a bit before exhaling...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    The Kodak Park power plant needs a 40 to 60 million dollar upgrade (it presently burns coal) to meet federal and state standards. http://www.13wham.com/news/local/sto...RbemHlBxQ.cspx This could be a major problem in the future.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    If the coating division of Kodak gets free of the Eastman Kodak shackles and rids it's obligations to past employes it may well rise from the ashes. Sounds like things may be possible
    If the only way for this to happen is by shafting past employees by reneging on agreements made years ago, then I will never buy anything made by them.

Why is it considered anything less than a crime to cancel pensions and such? Forget the lawyers, it's the MBAs we need to kill first.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Actually, what is described in the OP is exactly how modern manufacturing is done. The process and equipment is sized to the market. The general idea is to make exactly as much of the product as will be consumed, when and as it is consumed. In theory, if the process and production methods are designed correctly, it IS possible to make a profitable product in any size market. The company I work for is a niche electronics producer and this is how we work everyday. The part that seems to make it profitable or not is the amount of inventory that has to be managed (less is better) and how you account for it or so I am told - I'm not an accountant.

The batch nature of film production changes the scenario somewhat, but if they could stock small master rolls of their emulsions with long enough shelf life to allow the roll to be fully consumed, then each week (for the sake of argument) they would spool up enough rolls to fulfill that weeks sales, or, better yet, preferably on demand and by order.

Walking through our fairly small plant I did a mental exercise as to whether film (color and b/w) film could be made in that facility and I decided it could, but you'd have to do it by the sort of model described in the OP.

They might have some very good people advising them. What is described is not that far fetched. If they could make the emulsion for Panatomic-X and Kodachrome using the equipment they describe, the rest of it just might be an exercise for the accountants.

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin