Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,760   Online: 929

Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2327282930313233343536 LastLast

Shooter
    127 Format
    Perez and execs chomping the good meat. Soon to be only bones left for the rest.

Our only hope is a white knight to take the film and coated products.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Another layoff at EK this week. About 100 more.

PE
    My goodness. At what point is no one left? Are all 100 in the film division? How can there be hope that somehow, someway Kodak will keep making film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Buy, buy, buy, buy KODAK film. Use, use, use, use Kodak paper and chemistry.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    Buy, buy, buy, buy KODAK film. Use, use, use, use Kodak paper and chemistry.
    Very much agree, except...

They discontinued my favorite b&w films (Panatomic-X and Plus-X), my favorite color film (see your avatar), and all of their b&w papers, and other transparency films. So I would if I could, but I can't.

I do still use their KRST selenium toner. And their formula for D-76, which I scratch mix. And I also have some beautiful old Kodak glassware with the classic antique logo on it. In fact, I'm looking to source more antique Kodak darkroom gear. Not as an investment, but just because I think it's so cool. I'd love to get one of their old balance scales in nice condition. I'd even use it for nostalgia's sake.

BUT...

If they somehow manage to come back in any way as a color film company, I'll be back on board for slides. Even if it's not your avatar. And especially if I can process it at home in a 6-bath kit.

B&W will remain English, however. They were there for me in the darkest days when I really needed them. Plus, their medium and high speed b&w films come in all sizes from 35mm up to the size of my house. I like that.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It is with great sadness that I read this thread. The value of all my film equipment continues to fall, as the films vanish, and great former Yellow Box God continues to shrink. But a question crossed my mind...

Where is the source of all the film used for reconnaissance purposes by the US Military?! Have recon cameras gone digital, too?

As for the economics over time evolving, I'd like to offer these observations...
    • When I was a freshman in college at a private university, I paid $1200 per year in tuition cost. My first job was at $12k per year, or 10 times what I paid in tuition during my freshman year.
    • Today, that same university costs $38400 per year just for tuition; can you imagine anyone hoping for $384K per year in salary, let alone one year out of college?!
    • Many years ago, we could expect 4% interest on a simple passbook savings account in the bank; our money would double in value at that rate every 18 years. About the rate of inflation.
    • Now, we could expect 0.5% interest on a simple passbook savings account in the bank; our money would double in value at that rate every 144 years. But inflation is higher, at about 3.5-4%, so no point in putting any money in the back, inflation eats it up!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bankers run this country. 'Nuff said.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Everyone wants to be a banker, financial analyst or stock speculator. No one wants to be a physicist, chemist or mathematician.

Those latter jobs go begging and the former consist of laid off college grads. There was an NBC news spot on this.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE... If one wishes to be a physicist, chemist or mathematician then they'd better be damned good at it and work for an American pharmaceutical company or anywhere outside the USA... like China... or India... or Brazil... or??

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    But a question crossed my mind...

Where is the source of all the film used for reconnaissance purposes by the US Military?! Have recon cameras gone digital, too?
    I'm afraid so - often with realtime satcom downlink. This has been the trend since the early years of sattelite imaging when dropping film cannisters proved unreliable.
    Kodak film was used in the SR71 blackbird but not the birds and UAVs that replaced them.
    Last edited by andrew.roos; 05-12-2012 at 05:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs" (Ansel Adams)

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    It is with great sadness that I read this thread. The value of all my film equipment continues to fall, as the films vanish, and great former Yellow Box God continues to shrink. But a question crossed my mind...

As for the economics over time evolving, I'd like to offer these observations...
    • When I was a freshman in college at a private university, I paid $1200 per year in tuition cost. My first job was at $12k per year, or 10 times what I paid in tuition during my freshman year.
    • Today, that same university costs $38400 per year just for tuition; can you imagine anyone hoping for $384K per year in salary, let alone one year out of college?!
    • Many years ago, we could expect 4% interest on a simple passbook savings account in the bank; our money would double in value at that rate every 18 years. About the rate of inflation.
    • Now, we could expect 0.5% interest on a simple passbook savings account in the bank; our money would double in value at that rate every 144 years. But inflation is higher, at about 3.5-4%, so no point in putting any money in the back, inflation eats it up!
    More good news:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/bu...t.html?_r=1&hp

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin