Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,790   Online: 1041
      
Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 24282930313233343536 LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 352
  1. #331

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    15,912
    it would be nice if they did all these thing that are suggested
    but their current pricing is kind of over the top!
    100 sheets of 4x5 film ( tmy ) is nearly double what ilford charges
    and close to triple what the eastern european films are.
    i was going to buy some recently, but couldn't justify the cost
    no matter how much i have shot this film in the last 20 years
    (thousands of sheets and rolls &c ) ...
    i wish kodak the best, but my at the prices they are charging
    you need to be independently wealthy to buy+use it.

  2. #332
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    22,922
    Images
    65
    When I started college, the total tuition was under $400 / semester, but the minimum wage was $0.50 / hour.

    Most chemistry courses nowdays center around Forensic science.

    Just some thoughts.

    Oh, and after 34 pages, this is NOT a quick read.

    PE

  3. #333

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Alamo City, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    895
    Living in the USA is DEFINITELY NOT CHEAP NOR FISCALLY FAIR. I'll probably move elsewhere when I retire.

  4. #334
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,798
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    it would be nice if they did all these thing that are suggested
    but their current pricing is kind of over the top!
    100 sheets of 4x5 film ( tmy ) is nearly double what ilford charges
    and close to triple what the eastern european films are.
    i was going to buy some recently, but couldn't justify the cost
    no matter how much i have shot this film in the last 20 years
    (thousands of sheets and rolls &c ) ...
    i wish kodak the best, but my at the prices they are charging
    you need to be independently wealthy to buy+use it.
    Agree. Despite my flagrantly over-reported pessimism, I'm truly concerned that price is building as the biggest downdraft on demand for Kodak product. Local pricing here in Toronto--thanks, apparently, to no steady wholesale supplier--is climbing and it's still cheaper to buy from B&H. Suck it up? For now, yeah. But sinking demand-->higher prices-->lower demand-->even higher prices. People loathed old Aristophanes hereabouts but he knew the economics no one really wanted to face.

  5. #335

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,773
    Images
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Agree. Despite my flagrantly over-reported pessimism, I'm truly concerned that price is building as the biggest downdraft on demand for Kodak product. Local pricing here in Toronto--thanks, apparently, to no steady wholesale supplier--is climbing and it's still cheaper to buy from B&H. Suck it up? For now, yeah. But sinking demand-->higher prices-->lower demand-->even higher prices. People loathed old Aristophanes hereabouts but he knew the economics no one really wanted to face.
    It was very disappointing to see how Aristophanes was treated by some here. To an objective observer such as myself, I could clearly see he was no troll. The guy clearly knows what he is talking about regarding corporate economics. I never sensed he was happy about the seemingly unstoppable demise of film. He was just reading the cards as they continued to be dealt.

  6. #336

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,773
    Images
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    PE... If one wishes to be a physicist, chemist or mathematician then they'd better be damned good at it and work for an American pharmaceutical company or anywhere outside the USA... like China... or India... or Brazil... or??

    Pharma is no good place to go. I'm a chemist with friends who work for big pharmaceutical companies in the US. They are survivors, as there have been massive layoffs across the industry as it has consolidated. After that, outsourcing to Asian labs is the next big threat. Guys with 20 years experience designing medicines to fight cancer are completely afraid for their jobs. It truly is a pathetic world now.

  7. #337

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Alamo City, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    895
    Ratty, a damned shame for certain and pathetic it truly is. God Bless the USA... Our world-class corporations are SO DEDICATED to our country and it's people...

  8. #338

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    15,912
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Agree. Despite my flagrantly over-reported pessimism, I'm truly concerned that price is building as the biggest downdraft on demand for Kodak product. Local pricing here in Toronto--thanks, apparently, to no steady wholesale supplier--is climbing and it's still cheaper to buy from B&H. Suck it up? For now, yeah. But sinking demand-->higher prices-->lower demand-->even higher prices. People loathed old Aristophanes hereabouts but he knew the economics no one really wanted to face.
    cgw

    i don't think you are a pessimist, you are a realist ..
    no one wants to read or see or hear what they know to be true.
    ( i agree with most of what you say ... )

    i know what you mean, i thought about how if i don't buy it now it was going to be more expensive
    because my measly 200 sheets would have kept the price down ... but then i realized
    that i don't have $360 to spend on 180$, or 90$ of film. i would rather not eat ( or make my family eat )
    mac+cheese or ramen-noodles or PBJ sandwiches for a few months because i splurged on film.
    besides i don't think my 200 sheets will be missed one bit ... i bought 200 sheets a few months
    ago and it wasn't noticed, they raised the prices before and afterwards.

    john

  9. #339
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    22,922
    Images
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    It was very disappointing to see how Aristophanes was treated by some here. To an objective observer such as myself, I could clearly see he was no troll. The guy clearly knows what he is talking about regarding corporate economics. I never sensed he was happy about the seemingly unstoppable demise of film. He was just reading the cards as they continued to be dealt.
    If he was so correct, how could so many people poke so many holes in his arguments? I think that is what I noticed more than anything else. His feelings about analog are, as you say and I agree.

    Pe

  10. #340
    lxdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Redlands, So. Calif.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,581
    A cogent point, PE.
    He had a point of view, and it was based at least in part on his background, but that didn't make his opinions right.
    More than once he misinterpreted events at Kodak, stating they indicated something which was not so.
    So he got challenged, and rightly so.
    Last edited by lxdude; 05-12-2012 at 06:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin