Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,691   Online: 742

Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oh, maybe Tech Pan and original Kodachrome 25. Wonder how many rolls of 35mm or 120 would justify the production run. Problem with each of course is the companion developer systems and chemicals that Kodak would need to produce. Maybe economical if only 1 processing center and shooters were willing to wait until Kodak had enough film to turn on the machines to process the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Anyone noted the trajectory of demand for film? It doesn't appear to be up, does it?
    Nope. Which is why the whole point of this thread has to do with the possibility of Kodak restructuring their film manufacturing model down to the boutique level to match that trajectory. We were all aware of the drop in demand issue 5 years ago. Again, that's old, old news and that horse became pulp long ago. The question now is what happens next?

Gotta keep up with the topic, CGW...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    .I think some on here have spiked the bong water with vodka, lol!
    Wowww, I've done that, Man...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My biggest concern would be if Ms. Pasterczyk's words relate more to the people in the film division trying to save their employment and that entity's future than the expectations and plans of Eastman Kodak's management and bankruptcy trustees.

And as for the obligations to employees, it may be possible for there to be reasonable compromises for those, particularly considering the fact that the pensions for already retired employees appear to be excluded from the bankruptcy and relatively well funded.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Which is why the whole point of this thread has to do with the possibility of Kodak restructuring their film manufacturing model down to the boutique level to match that trajectory.

No interest at all in possibilities(e.g., K-64 back from the dead). I'm struck by high implausibility of such "restructuring" that would have Kodak verging on artisanal manufacture of film materials relative to their current organization. Can't imagine investors throwing $ at a product whose market is withering away.

Funny how the collapse of film demand appears not to be "old news" around here given the passionate denials of the past few months. The "topic" remains pure blue sky, Ken.

Still waiting for some good news from Rochester.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    No interest at all in possibilities...
    Yes, this is also old news to us...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    Besides the hypothesis of reviving Kodachrome, which probably is the last material to be resuscitated, the general idea looks very promising.

In this internet age, big shops might collect orders paid upfront, and send the order to Kodak as soon as they reach a certain quantity.

Kodak would only have to make the film and deliver it. No big expenses in marketing, branding, and very importantly no inventory risk, they would know the entire production is sold when they start the coating machine.

I imagine a future in which the rolls will have a generic box and cartridge equal for all films of the same format, with a stamp on it simply stating Dreamachrome 2 Batch 76/15 exp. 12/17. A bit like medicines on demand.

Firms like Amazon would have no great difficulties in collecting orders and money, sending manufacturing orders to Kodak, receiving great quantities from them, and sending to each individual purchaser. That's what they do already.

Costs would IMO probably decrease in comparison to today, due to intermediate rings in the distributing chains being quite simplified, bulk orders at consumer level (20 rolls or so minimum order), no inventory risks for Kodak and possibly very simplified packaging.

We have to adopt to a world where we order minimum 20 rolls of film each time. No big problem for most film users nowadays.

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    No big expenses in marketing, branding...
    I'm still convinced that they would do well to advertise more broadly, aiming squarely at the hipsters and art student types.

If Kodak are reading, the TV advert would be a sentimental montage charting their history. I can see a happy middle class family, in 60s attire, frolicking on the beach with their Instamatic in one clip.
    The final shot would be present day, a student taking photos on his Hipstamatic app, pushed aside by his cooler flatmate with a Hasselblad mid way through opening a beautifully purple box of Portra, ready to load.
    The slogan would be 'Kodak, nostalgic for tomorrow'.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Yes, this is also old news to us...

Ken
    So is the house-brand fabulism in threads like this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    I'm still convinced that they would do well to advertise more broadly, aiming squarely at the hipsters and art student types.
    I agree with this broad concept, but would target another group with a lot of cash: I can't count the number of upper middle class 40 somethings that I've talked to about my Spotmatic. They get all dreamy-eyed and tell me about their first "true love."

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin