Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,883   Online: 912

Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Not even sure if it's worth it at this point, but perhaps let me to try explain my post with the discussion of the ADOX film in it.
    I have almost always bought Kodak whenever they had what I wanted, ever since my Dad gave me an X-700 for my first camera. Like you, I also feel - and hopefully always will - that Kodak film/chem products are the finest quality in the world.
    My post was not to say they should do everything like ADOX. Far from it. My statement was that ADOX is already manufacturing film in this manner, and if they can do it - Kodak certainly has (perhaps had) the R&D knowledge and muscle to figure out how to do this as well. Now, whether they want to - that is a different question altogether. Some of us are very excited that at least someone in the company "gets it".

Lastly, a bit of an aside, but it is truth - what film has Kodak to compare to CMS20 that I may purchase instead? It is non-existent. I have done the tests myself. TMax100 does not hold a candle, if what you want is enlargement capability from a small piece of film.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Jed - Kodak did (and possibly still does) offer microfilm stock which in at least a few instances was
    rebranded for generally shooting using special developers. For many years, of course, Tech Pan was
    their label for extreme resolution film. I have never particularly cared for the tonality of any of these
    films in general photography, and much prefer 25-speed films like Efke 25 and Pan-F-plus for enlarging, with Rollei 25 being a newcomer to the same category, kinda between the other two in
    tonal range.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    PE stated many weeks ago that Kodak has some R&D coating machine which they might dust off and use for production of small batches. Given that Kodak films main product line, movie print film, is on its way out, this move is the most reasonable one. The talk referenced in the thread origin essentially confirms that Kodak indeed plans on going that way and that this is seen as a viable business model.

No big surprises here, but very good news anyway. One number I would really like to hear is "minimum order quantity" for a batch run. If one batch can be had for four digit dollar amounts, a lot of odd ball materials will be available soon. If it is closer to six digits, most likely only the current product lines will remain.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    From another photo forum, quite interesting! Posted today....

Remain curious why the OP couldn't supply a link to this "other photo forum" where this all appeared.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just a couple quick thoughts:

(1) it is (and always has been) blazingly obvious that EK's film division can turn a profit... if they are taken out from under the other mountain of debt. Ideally, that's what chp. 11 does- allow subparts of a business to rise out from under the cloud of the parts that failed. I will resist the temptation to point out that certain people among us consider(ed) this impossible. But....

(2) That this or that film might come back or be continued in smaller volume doesn't say anything at all about the prices of those products. You adapt the manufacturing volume to optimize profit- obviously you don't make small volumes on a high-volume line. That doesn't bode well at all for anyone associated with the high volume facility nor the American market per se. Offhand I'd guess this all means that the recipes and some of the talent will be shipped elsewhere e.g. to Fuji, and that's it.

(3) I do ask myself what the Kodak brand is really worth, when all Kodak users remember all too well what they've done to their people and their products over the last few years. EK has curried outright hatred in recent years and is right on the ragged edge of having absolutely no user base- they've been doing everything possible to alienate their core clients for years now. To be blunt, I think it'd be a miracle to see certain products come back, but the greater miracle would be for an appreciable number of people to care if they did. Most of us who were investing in Kodak film products took careful note around the time that HIE went away... and there's a lot of water under the bridge since then...

I do hope, of course, that there are good jobs and good products for people right there at the main EK facility. Let us see. In spite of (2) and (3), I sincerely wish them well.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    127 Format
    Sounds like a task for The Celebrity Apprentice !

"Your task this week is to create a viral campaign headlining the use and enjoyment of Kodak Film. Because they are a fabulous company with a long history in American Culture".

"This task will be huge, HUGE, and you better make it good because, as always, someone from the losing team is going to be fired".

Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    I'm still convinced that they would do well to advertise more broadly, aiming squarely at the hipsters and art student types.

If Kodak are reading, the TV advert would be a sentimental montage charting their history. I can see a happy middle class family, in 60s attire, frolicking on the beach with their Instamatic in one clip.
    The final shot would be present day, a student taking photos on his Hipstamatic app, pushed aside by his cooler flatmate with a Hasselblad mid way through opening a beautifully purple box of Portra, ready to load.
    The slogan would be 'Kodak, nostalgic for tomorrow'.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP PPPPPPPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Now I can make room for food in the freezer!
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    PE stated many weeks ago that Kodak has some R&D coating machine which they might dust off and use for production of small batches. Given that Kodak films main product line, movie print film, is on its way out, this move is the most reasonable one. The talk referenced in the thread origin essentially confirms that Kodak indeed plans on going that way and that this is seen as a viable business model.

No big surprises here, but very good news anyway. One number I would really like to hear is "minimum order quantity" for a batch run. If one batch can be had for four digit dollar amounts, a lot of odd ball materials will be available soon. If it is closer to six digits, most likely only the current product lines will remain.
    Kodachrome blue sky is just for fun at this stage (something some don't seem to understand - bet they never, ever, buy even a single lottery ticket either) but I'd personally be quite happy with the continuation of current product lines. If we could ease E100G and VS into that category too then all the better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    +1

I'd love to see Kodak stick around. However two posts in this thread really crushed whatever enthusiasm I might have had:

1) The notion that Kodak could do nice things if it freed itself from obligations to former employees

2) Someone made a comparison with "Adox".

I couldn't support Kodak products if they fkd employees over. As for Kodak learning anything from "Adox", I wouldn't go anywhere near Kodak products any longer if Kodak did anything at all the way those companies do. "Kodak" would end up being nothing more than a resurrected brand name pasted on junk in an effort to capitalize on the legacy of the brand.
    I agree with point 1 but have to be realistic - if they completely go away then those employees and former employees are likely to get NOTHING. SOMETHING, even if less than promised, is still better than NOTHING. But I'm certainly aware of this factor.

On #2 - bah, or mostly bah. I've never used their film but Adox makes damned fine paper. Ok, MCC 110 is Afga MCC on a different base (I prefer the new whiter base anyway) but that's not important. It's a very good paper and I've used several packs in three different sizes now with not a single QC issue on a single sheet.

Maybe they need to shore up QC, maybe their film sucks, but the reference is to emulating the model of making small runs, not making similar products.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll go for the Area 51/Roswell theory here...they discontinued E-6, let Fuji have it, and will bring back Kodachrome! HA HA.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Kodachrome blue sky is just for fun at this stage (something some don't seem to understand - bet they never, ever, buy even a single lottery ticket either) but I'd personally be quite happy with the continuation of current product lines. If we could ease E100G and VS into that category too then all the better.
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin