Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,558   Posts: 1,573,291   Online: 963

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak's Film issues

I am not an industry insiders. I am a small town CPA in the Texas. I've seem many companies and several industries come and go. Kodak has several viable and broken business under the umbrella named Kodak.

The only one I am interested in is the film business. Kodak's issues is one of size. There manufacturing plants and machinery is too big and too fast what has become the new sales volumes. We see several other player in the market place, and FreeStyle seems to investing to keep the hobby/art alive.

I can only think that Kodak's brass is going to find a way to stay in the film market. It can be a very profitable business center.

I plan to shoot film for long time. I will be shooting Kodak B&W. I have faith the some business leader will step forward to right size the infastructure to keep Kodak's film business going.

Alfredo
    Small Town CPA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Alfredo and welcome to APUG. I have similar hopes as you do. Thanks for your refreshing post.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Alfredo, and to echo Fotch above - great to hear there are those out there rooting for Kodak. They've sure made some "poor decisions" as I will call them over the years, but many of us would be extremely happy for the next generation to grow up shooting Kodak like we did.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We certainly hope so.

I could live without Kodak for black and white but I would rather not. There's no other film quite as good as TMY-2 and no other film quite like Tri-X (both the 400 and 320 versions.)

My main worry and I think that of many others is the color film market. Kodak ceded (for now anyway, see the other recent thread) the transparency market to Fuji and I've no idea how much longer they will make the stuff and, in any case, they already canceled their best film, Astia. You can still get it in 120 and 4x5, but it's remaining stock. Kodak color neg beats Fuji handily these days and I'd really like to see it continue (and the black and white, and a return of Ektachrome 100G and VS and...)

Shooter
    127 Format
    I think that Kodak would have trimmed their film production capacity much sooner except the management was using that revenue to fuel the fire for digital products.

Certainly the worldwide recession and US near-depression over the past several years played a serious role.

Now, unshackled b y the digital albatross, Kodak can concentrate on coated products and get themselves righted.

I look forward to the return of Ektachrome and Plus-X in the near future. Maybe in special order quantities but I think it will come back.

I will be deeply saddened if we lose Kodak gold in 35mm. When that's gone the game is over for good.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Alfredo, welcome to APUG!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome Alfredo.

I think Kodak has only two options:

1. Become a much smaller but profitable film company.
    2. No longer be a company.

I hope option 1 works out for them.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think we're all rooting for Kodak. Too many people already think film is dead.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cscurrier View Post
    I think we're all rooting for Kodak. Too many people already think film is dead.

It doesn't help to mention that yet again...!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome aboard!

If you don't mind, I have a quick questions about my taxes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin