Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,928   Posts: 1,556,826   Online: 887

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokoro View Post
    I usually take my drawing pad into work and have been keep it in my cleaning cupboard and when I get ideas while working I goto the cupboard and write it down in the back of my drawing book. For the last week I have been thinking about this thread and other threads on apug about advertising film, and also about advertising my cards.

My first note is "Faking Popularity". Companies already do this I think, several camera companies have been accused of hiring people to promote their products on social networking services and forms. By Faking Popularity I think that you can hype something and say how popular it is and other people jump on the bandwagon. If you want to advertise something it is better to say how good it is rather than say something is negative. I have been thinking about this with respect to my cards. The only adverts I put up are ones on the notice boards in work and despite the adverts being on the boards for two years only one person in the company we clean for has ever asked me about my cards, and that was after that person recieved a christmas card from one of the other cleaners who used one of my cards because I carry a selection of cards in my bag. The reasoning could be because my cards are useless or it could be that the adverts are inadequate because all they are is pictures of two cards with the words "available form evening cleaner". So we need a new strategy. What if the advert was bigger and said, in bold, coloured, letters "The Best Cards Money Can Buy!!!. The advert will get more attention. Furthermore because I dont rate my artwork highly, when asked about my cards I say how few get sold and how not enough sell for them to make any money or how the two shops selling my cards no longer want to take any more because they do not sell well enough. What I should be saying is how I have someone who regularly buys christmas cards and sends them all over the world and how my cards are popular enough to actually be sold in shops. Same information seen in a different light can get a different reaction.

I am sure that advertising can be planned and popularity faked enough to become viral. In order for something to become viral every recipient of the information needs to pass it to at least two other people (either by notifying one other person personally or by posting it to a publicly viewable place like a social network stream). If 100 APUG users use a social networking service and posted something (thats carefully planned) promoting film then more than 100 people will view it and a percentage of them will pass it on. With a bit of luck the chain will be self sustaining and the advert will spread.

Play on cost. Photography, for a lot of people, is expensive. Cost advantages of film photography is one area that can be played on. I have a large collection of lenses, mostly M42. It would be nice to have a digital camera to use them on. The cheapest I have found that has a sensor big enough to fully utilise the lenses is around £650, used. My Zenit, which came with a lens and a strap, cost me £2.50, used. The percieved cost of photography in general is one myth we can use to our advantage when advertising film.

Difficulty is another myth. A lot of younger people do not know how to use film. Advertising that plays on showing how easy film is to work with I think would be very effective.

Memes... is another note I wrote.

Planning. Offense and defense.
    My quickly put together Memes criticise digital. That isn't really the right way to go about promoting anything. If you put something down that someone likes then that person becomes defensive. They will ususally condemn back, which promotes nothing. Criticising people will not make them see our point of view. It is more effective to promote something postively, the people who dont like it will usually ignore it while the people who do like it will spread it. This needs to be worked out by careful planning. The big companies do it, we can too.

Because there has been several threads on apug about promoting film, lets now try to think of real ideas we can really put into action.
    I doubt that the man in the street would know what "clipping the highlights" means, I've spoken to people using digital S.L.R.s who claim to be professionals who would give you blank looks if you used the term.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 04-29-2012 at 12:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anything but "So Kodak!"
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Anything but "So Kodak!"

Anyways, I've been noticing a lot of time-lapse movies done with DSLRs. A recent time-lapse of Portland, OR (link) took 3.8 hours of post-production per one second of video. Anybody here familiar with the time-lapse process using film? Was it that difficult using a 35mm movie camera?

Film: it's so easy to use!

Shooter
    35mm
    Picture of someone who is pregnant, caption reads "all because he used a film camera"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What about something without words? Music in the background or whatever, but show the essentials of why film is important. It lasts a long time, it can be viewed no matter how technology changes.

(Recovery of Lunar Orbiter images. The project is tricky because the film was developed and scanned in space, and the results were beamed back. 40 years later, there are only two refurbished 70mm data tape decks on the planet, and one was found in a chicken coop. Restoring Instant Analog Photographic Technology)

Show what it looks like when film is exposed and the resulting print.

("Don't Panic. Shoot Tri-X. Don't Panic. Shoot Tri-X. Don't Panic ...")

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    From Kodak Endura Professional Photographs:

"A photograph never grows old. You and I change, people change all through the months and years but a photograph always remains the same. How nice to look at a photograph of mother or father taken many years ago. You see them as you remember them. But as people live on, they change completely. That is why I think a photograph can be kind." -- Albert Einstein

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokoro View Post
    Difficulty is another myth. A lot of younger people do not know how to use film. Advertising that plays on showing how easy film is to work with I think would be very effective.
    In terms of usability and time to visible result, how would film outsmart iphone/android + instagram? This is what "the kids" are using today....

Go figure.

http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    How many go for cooking as a hobby? Cooking can take longer than developing some film.

Film is like cooking:
    ... but it's done in the dark, and the results last years.
    ... and it produces a feast for the eyes, instead of the mouth.
    ... both produce great memories.
    ... both are enjoyed by the whole family.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    How many go for cooking as a hobby? Cooking can take longer than developing some film.

Film is like cooking:
    ... but it's done in the dark, and the results last years.
    ... and it produces a feast for the eyes, instead of the mouth.
    ... both produce great memories.
    ... both are enjoyed by the whole family.
    The same description also applies to sex
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    The same description also applies to sex
    Apart from the last point I sincerely hope.....

http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin