Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,660   Online: 1102

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Advertising Ideas

Post your advertising ideas here!

I keep seeing a few advertising ideas here and there in the threads. Just for grins and giggles, post them here!

An SD card (like 128Gb) is falling through space. There are pictures and movies from it flashing about. The card finally falls into sofa crack or sidewalk crack. Film cartridge falls next to crack, rolls over crack.

Inside a messy drawer, looking from back out to front. Hand frantically searching about drawer, sometimes touching SD card, sometimes not.
    Kid's voice: "Mom, I need those pictures for school!"
    Mom's voice: "I'm looking! I'm looking!"
    Grandma's voice: "Here, honey, how about these? These are prints from film..."

A show of historic negatives and their prints. Data retention span: over a century and counting, by design.
    A show of not-so-historic pictures from an SD card. Data retention span: five to ten years, by design.

A couple of hands with point and shoots, side by side, users are not seen. One is film, one is 12Mp digital. After shots, show comparison, with enlargements. Digital image goes to pixels, drops color in low light. Film images go to grain and retain color, still look good.
    "Film: bringing you what looks good."

How about yours?

Shooter
    35mm
    A advertising campaign that is a story. Showing someone who uses a film camera. Nothing that is immidiately obvious that it is the camera and the film that is being advertised. The person would not be a professional photographer or in anyway employed in the photographic industry, just a normal person going about their daily life. But they have a passing interest in photography and takes some pictures of the family or a landmark. Has the film processed, or self processes the film and gets the pictures. The advert would show how simple film photography can be. The adverts could become like a 3-minute at a time mini series.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I like this I think Kodak should have done something like this, years ago.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Kodak could simply bring back their traditional advertising. "Treasure your memories with Kodak film" ...........
    Gun Control is like: Reducing drunk driving by making it harder for SOBER people to buy cars.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk View Post
    I like this I think Kodak should have done something like this, years ago.
    I agree, Kodak and the other film companies should highlight how sexy and cool film is. Use cameras like Hasselblad V and Leicas in their advertisement, they make any digital camera look about as sexy as a toaster in comparison. But Kodak has done everything wrong from the start of the "digital revolution", like for example the fact that they didn't make a cheap high quality scanner available, that blows my mind. Even if they were selling them at a loss they would surely have made up for it in film sales, much like they do with printers and ink sales.

Shooter
    35mm
    I usually take my drawing pad into work and have been keep it in my cleaning cupboard and when I get ideas while working I goto the cupboard and write it down in the back of my drawing book. For the last week I have been thinking about this thread and other threads on apug about advertising film, and also about advertising my cards.

My first note is "Faking Popularity". Companies already do this I think, several camera companies have been accused of hiring people to promote their products on social networking services and forms. By Faking Popularity I think that you can hype something and say how popular it is and other people jump on the bandwagon. If you want to advertise something it is better to say how good it is rather than say something is negative. I have been thinking about this with respect to my cards. The only adverts I put up are ones on the notice boards in work and despite the adverts being on the boards for two years only one person in the company we clean for has ever asked me about my cards, and that was after that person recieved a christmas card from one of the other cleaners who used one of my cards because I carry a selection of cards in my bag. The reasoning could be because my cards are useless or it could be that the adverts are inadequate because all they are is pictures of two cards with the words "available form evening cleaner". So we need a new strategy. What if the advert was bigger and said, in bold, coloured, letters "The Best Cards Money Can Buy!!!. The advert will get more attention. Furthermore because I dont rate my artwork highly, when asked about my cards I say how few get sold and how not enough sell for them to make any money or how the two shops selling my cards no longer want to take any more because they do not sell well enough. What I should be saying is how I have someone who regularly buys christmas cards and sends them all over the world and how my cards are popular enough to actually be sold in shops. Same information seen in a different light can get a different reaction.

I am sure that advertising can be planned and popularity faked enough to become viral. In order for something to become viral every recipient of the information needs to pass it to at least two other people (either by notifying one other person personally or by posting it to a publicly viewable place like a social network stream). If 100 APUG users use a social networking service and posted something (thats carefully planned) promoting film then more than 100 people will view it and a percentage of them will pass it on. With a bit of luck the chain will be self sustaining and the advert will spread.

Play on cost. Photography, for a lot of people, is expensive. Cost advantages of film photography is one area that can be played on. I have a large collection of lenses, mostly M42. It would be nice to have a digital camera to use them on. The cheapest I have found that has a sensor big enough to fully utilise the lenses is around £650, used. My Zenit, which came with a lens and a strap, cost me £2.50, used. The percieved cost of photography in general is one myth we can use to our advantage when advertising film.

Difficulty is another myth. A lot of younger people do not know how to use film. Advertising that plays on showing how easy film is to work with I think would be very effective.

Memes... is another note I wrote.

Planning. Offense and defense.
    My quickly put together Memes criticise digital. That isn't really the right way to go about promoting anything. If you put something down that someone likes then that person becomes defensive. They will ususally condemn back, which promotes nothing. Criticising people will not make them see our point of view. It is more effective to promote something postively, the people who dont like it will usually ignore it while the people who do like it will spread it. This needs to be worked out by careful planning. The big companies do it, we can too.

Because there has been several threads on apug about promoting film, lets now try to think of real ideas we can really put into action.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    nice!! good idea! I will do this!

On another note, i just went to buy some film at one of my usual places...and uhhh what? a whole new selection of lomo film cameras are being sold as well as more film selection and chemicals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i don't think old yellow has any problems
    with making commercials
    they made them for 50+ years
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1y8y...eature=related

Shooter
    35mm

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by amsp View Post
    I agree, Kodak and the other film companies should highlight how sexy and cool film is. Use cameras like Hasselblad V and Leicas in their advertisement, they make any digital camera look about as sexy as a toaster in comparison. But Kodak has done everything wrong from the start of the "digital revolution", like for example the fact that they didn't make a cheap high quality scanner available, that blows my mind. Even if they were selling them at a loss they would surely have made up for it in film sales, much like they do with printers and ink sales.
    Most consumers don't want to be scanning themselves, most consumers want CDs when they have the film developed, but that brings me to another problem, the crappy quality of lab CDs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin