Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,209   Posts: 1,531,965   Online: 1161

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    I asked the same question a few years ago and got shot down - the problem is no one would want to maintain it, pure and simple.
    Another way of putting that: if someone were to do some solid, complete, and reliable reporting on this question and start a thread about it, say posting an update four times a year, then we'd probably make it a sticky.

This is how it works in general--someone starts a thread and it turns out to have lots of good information and not too much noise, and we make it a sticky thread. We don't start thread as a sticky typically and hope people contribute in a way that makes it worthy.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Another way of putting that: if someone were to do some solid, complete, and reliable reporting on this question and start a thread about it, say posting an update four times a year, then we'd probably make it a sticky.

This is how it works in general--someone starts a thread and it turns out to have lots of good information and not too much noise, and we make it a sticky thread. We don't start thread as a sticky typically and hope people contribute in a way that makes it worthy.
    As long as I know there is some interest from the mods, I'll get to work on it. When I get as far as I can go, I'll post it and give you a heads up. Those who are outside the US that have regional films or just those who have something to add can chip in with data. Since every time a film is canceled it seems to a half dozen threads on here within 24 hours, I don't think keeping up with it will be too tough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can the original post (#1) be left open to be edited forever? IMHO, that's where the "latest" information should be posted... not buried 250 posts deep. Can that responsibility then be transferred to the next person... and the next... who wants to take on the task after the original and subsequent watchers no longer have the time?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    Can the original post (#1) be left open to be edited forever? IMHO, that's where the "latest" information should be posted... not buried 250 posts deep. Can that responsibility then be transferred to the next person... and the next... who wants to take on the task after the original and subsequent watchers no longer have the time?
    That was more or less my plan. A mod could always keep current the info as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteZ8 View Post
    That was more or less my plan. A mod could always keep current the info as well.
    Yes, but a Mod may not want to do that any more than the average Member. I was thinking that the responsibility could be passed on to the next willing Member. The thread could be closed if no Mods nor Members wish to take on that task any longer. Tasks and responsibilities can take a lot of time from one's life. This could be fairly short-lived.
    Last edited by Old-N-Feeble; 04-09-2012 at 07:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Realistically, how would one maintain such a list when manufacturers themselves don't reveil current and honest information in timely manner? Without sources being reliable and unquestionable, such list will be nothing more than speculation and be subject to heated debate. Once trolls jump in, we'll have no idea what we are talking about.

There is no doubt in my mind such list will be valuable but I don't see how it can be done.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Realistically, how would one maintain such a list when manufacturers themselves don't reveil current and honest information in timely manner? Without sources being reliable and unquestionable, such list will be nothing more than speculation and be subject to heated debate. Once trolls jump in, we'll have no idea what we are talking about.

There is no doubt in my mind such list will be valuable but I don't see how it can be done.
    It may not be perfect, but it's a start. I was inspired to start this as the other day I was looking for info on color IR film and it took a bit of searching to learn that the only color IR film was a Kodak Aero film that was just discontinued. So as of now, the only option for color IR is digi

But it would have been nice to just have a simple resource as to what is out there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the real world... you chose the blue pill. Now, swallow it and see reality.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    Welcome to the real world... you chose the blue pill. Now, swallow it and see reality.
    What am I missing? That I expected there to still be a color IR film?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If a few people are willing to do the work, we could declare it a "no comment" thread, with data only, in a specified format and maybe with a source for the information, and we would delete all discussion. Then one could read backward from the last post for the latest info without having to weed through endless commentary.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin