Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,967   Posts: 1,523,378   Online: 1175

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Foma is taking back defective 200-120 film

The Dutch distributor of Foma, Fotohuis RoVo (Robert Vonk), sent me an email today stating that Fomapan 200 in 120-size with the following date/batch numbers are eligible for replacement: 099561 exp. date: 11/2013 and 099561 exp. date: 12/2013.

Foma admits scratch/crack-like problems with these batches in tight loading systems ("Hasselblad A12 and some TLR's").

I personally won't bother to return the few 200-120 films that I've shot or not-yet shot. I refuse to spend more time and money on an issue that should have been addressed long before. But perhaps I'm being harsh here.

I will be much more interested in Foma's view on the problems reported by some people (including myself) with Fomapan 100-120. Not a word about that in the email, unfortunately.

Sander

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I should add that, according to RoVo's email, the replacement version of Foma 200-120 has been improved in the following ways:
    - a different (more transparent) polyester carrier,
    - softer, more flexible backing paper for less friction with the emulsion,
    - an improved, slightly harder emulsion.

I wonder if the same improvements will be/have been applied to other films (e.g. 100-120) in Foma's range as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've always found Foma 200 to be beautiful in 8x10 sheet size... But that was before the emulsion disaster, haven't tried it since then as i had some stocked up.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandermarijn View Post
    I wonder if the same improvements will be/have been applied to other films (e.g. 100-120) in Foma's range as well.
    I've asked Robert; he doesn't know.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Good to know I'm not insane. 2 crops from 120 fomapan 200 in a A12 back:

First looks like cracks, this only happened at the end of the film, scratches on the second were only at the beginning of the film.
    They look like scanner issues but they aren't, they are on the negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In a Dutch analogue photoforum some examples of the new Fomapan Creative 200 are posted. They seems to be free of any defects.

And you can receive the new Fomapan 200 120 roll films free of charge in the Netherlands. Not too bad this faulty filmexchange.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photocrack View Post
    Not too bad this faulty filmexchange.
    True. I just sent back my used and unused Foma 200-120. Foma deserve some credit I guess for this offer-it'd be too easy of me to turn them down just like that.

i had the same cracks with the new fomapan 200 film in my hasselblad.. fotohuis rovo sent me in return new film (fuji across 100) this was the second time i had problems with fomafilm and in total i ruined more than fifteen films...and spend a lot of time, for me no foma anymore

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jelke View Post
    i had the same cracks with the new fomapan 200 film in my hasselblad.. fotohuis rovo sent me in return new film (fuji across 100) this was the second time i had problems with fomafilm and in total i ruined more than fifteen films...and spend a lot of time, for me no foma anymore
    Are you saying that you are having problems with the new production on a clear polyester base and softer backing paper?

Trond

Quote Originally Posted by Trond View Post
    Are you saying that you are having problems with the new production on a clear polyester base and softer backing paper?

Trond
    yes..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin