Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,481   Posts: 1,542,703   Online: 848

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Movie Studios want to abandon film.

The article can say it much better than me.

http://www.laweekly.com/2012-04-12/f...tal-Hollywood/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    no shit, what's cheaper?
    You don't think those execs keep their montana ranches and beverly hills mansions by not cutting corners, do you?
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Give me convenience or give me death!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Very interesting read. Actors will also be kicked to the curb soon. You can now render virtual humans that are indistinguishable from the real.

CuS

Shooter
    35mm

Quentin!

I knew I loved Tarantino for a reason - from the article:

"Jefchak works at the New Beverly, which is owned by Quentin Tarantino. A regular at the art-house cinema, Tarantino bought the place in 2007, when it was in danger of closing. The New Beverly still plays traditional reel-to-reel 35mm, and Tarantino has said that the day the cinema puts in a digital projector is the day he burns it to the ground."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CuS View Post
    I knew I loved Tarantino for a reason - from the article:

"Jefchak works at the New Beverly, which is owned by Quentin Tarantino. A regular at the art-house cinema, Tarantino bought the place in 2007, when it was in danger of closing. The New Beverly still plays traditional reel-to-reel 35mm, and Tarantino has said that the day the cinema puts in a digital projector is the day he burns it to the ground."

Tarantino said that??
    Very interesting.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Very interesting read. Actors will also be kicked to the curb soon. You can now render virtual humans that are indistinguishable from the real.
    Just think... Once the threshold of creating a virtual viewing audience is breached, the movie studios will have finally closed the entire loop. All of their virtual theaters will always play to virtual packed houses who came to see virtual motion pictures created and presented by a virtual army of employees.

They will have finally freed themselves from dependence on those pesky real, analog human beings forever. No human actors, directors, cinematographers, projectionists, or anyone else. No human audiences, ticket takers, popcorn sellers, or janitors. Just an army of obedient digital clones, spun up like so many VMs of Windows XP whenever you need them. And disappearing instantaneously when you don't.

Let the real humans rot. We don't need them anymore anyway. Didn't really like depending on them in the first place. They just brought far too much uncertainty to our profits. And they smelled.

“Why is it every time I ask for a pair of hands, they come with a brain attached?”
    -- Henry Ford, American automotive industrialist, 1863-1947

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Just think... Once the threshold of creating a virtual viewing audience is breached, the movie studios will have finally closed the entire loop.

Ken
    Think about it; it's already being done. Studios trot out these quasi-fabricated numbers all the time. 'Biggest first week for a movie opening on a Wednesday', or '$300M opening day!' (Well, hell yes, the tickets are $30.00 each. I'm sure it beat Ben Hur and its what, $1.00 ticket price.

Movies are so expensive to make that the studio leaves nothing to chance. Not even attendance.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Related or not to this thread, I find it sickening that we live in a world where thousands of people can loose their jobs just so a few already extremely rich people can line their pockets with a couple of extra millions. Oftentimes at the expense of quality and workmanship at the same time. Ahhhh, progress.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    lacavol, thanks for the article!
    Last year, I have posted a link here for the Oscar's report called Digital Dilemma that is mentioned in this laweekly article.
    Quote Originally Posted by georg16nik View Post
    I am not sure if You guys have seen the Oscars report called Digital Dilemma.
    heres a link to the pdf http://www.artmob.ca/files/pdf-stc_digital_dilemma.pdf
    The pdf can also be downloaded from the Oscars website but You need a registration, so here You have it a click away.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin