Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,503   Posts: 1,543,421   Online: 855

Shooter
    35mm

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be. It's more expensive now.

If you stumble across this

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Produc...ual/index.page

like I did you might be scratching your head, like I did. Did Nikon give up on manual focusing lenses or didn't they? Are they experiencing push-back from digital owners who don't want (or already have) a big, heavy zoom and are looking for a few small primes? You know, primes like the 24 2.8 that they've heard people rave about for the last thirty years or so. Perhaps they don't want to pay $1200+ for a 24 1.4 like a pro might be willing to. I don't know the age of this page but some of the comments are pretty recent.

Furthermore, if they still have the tooling for these boys, what other tooling is still laying close to hand? Smart companies can make money in bad times as well as good, and without having to ramp-up for a 70s era boom. Quick, somebody give me a reality smackdown.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I knew the 50 1.2 was still in production but not the others.
    Great thing about Nikkors is there are soooo many of them production wise.

Shooter
    35mm
    Link is broken
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Link is broken
    [pre]http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Camera-Lenses/Manual/index.page[/pre]

It's not for my browser, but I've turned off 'parse links...' and added some probably worthless tags. Give this a shot.

s-a
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You'd think they would keep the ones only with the fastest apertures such as the 50 1.2 and 35 1.4 but where's the 24 and 28 f2s? only the 2.8 versions are available. 105 2.8 but why not the 85mm. Nikon you so crazzay.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nikon still makes small primes in their autofocus lineup too, but they don't get much promotion. I have the 24/2.8, 28/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.4, and 85/1.8 AF-D Nikkor lenses. The 50 and 85 lenses I have were recently replaced with new versions that do not have aperture rings (they work on the F5, F6, and F100 but not older film bodies), but the rest are still made in the old style with aperture ring, so they work on film or digital and work fine with manual focus Ai bodies.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Large Format
    Zeiss makes an 85 mm f/1.4 in Nikon manual mount. (Expensive).
    Available at B&H.
    We sometimes use these at work on scientific video cameras that use F mount.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The newish Zeiss ZF & ZE etc is a "prime" example of the original sentiment of this thread.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    If you stumble across this

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Produc...ual/index.page

like I did you might be scratching your head, like I did. Did Nikon give up on manual focusing lenses or didn't they? Are they experiencing push-back from digital owners who don't want (or already have) a big, heavy zoom and are looking for a few small primes? You know, primes like the 24 2.8 that they've heard people rave about for the last thirty years or so. Perhaps they don't want to pay $1200+ for a 24 1.4 like a pro might be willing to. I don't know the age of this page but some of the comments are pretty recent.

Furthermore, if they still have the tooling for these boys, what other tooling is still laying close to hand? Smart companies can make money in bad times as well as good, and without having to ramp-up for a 70s era boom. Quick, somebody give me a reality smackdown.

s-a
    Are you in the market for some or what? I see 8 lenses...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Are you in the market for some or what? I see 8 lenses...
    I own six of them. What's your point?
    - Garry Winogrand

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin