Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,280   Posts: 1,534,885   Online: 855

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to be a commercial shooter and most if not all of the stuff I shot wasn't film worthy anyway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The article is moderately interesting reading. It is though very US- and Kodak-centric. Here and there in Australia — a smaller market, I've learned that E6 and C41 is on the rise and has been for about 14 months or so now. This may not correlate to big film sales, but possibly the use of latent stocks of film, uptake of students or what, I don't know. What is very important is to take such stories as just another piece of information floating about the web. Nothing will buoy the long-term survival (availability is a better word!) of film better than going out there and using it in film cameras, processing it in traditional or poly-hybridised workflow, printing and framing and telling all that only film endures, which it does in truth.

Melbourne, Australia, has a thriving APUG group that gathers maybe a few times each year for outings. Good on you up in Toronto for getting the mechanics of a group meet-up and outing organised. This is what APUG is for, networking and discovering what others are doing. With film.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Six years ago, I switched to digital photography, yesterday I bought a mint Canon Elan 7E and ten rolls of Tri-X. I imagine I'll sell everything except a little digital snap shooter for vacation pix in the future, and buy a couple more film bodies. I have no fear of the death of film, because (a) Ilford is enjoying sales increases, (b) new players are actually coming into the market, which means (c) there will be variety and price competition. Let's face it, a large part of the reason Kodak's going under is mismanagement. The decline in film sales isn't helping, but shouldn't the people who virtually invented film photography for everyman AND the digital camera be doing a little better than they are?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Admittedly, they are local to me, but I still find this snippet to be good news:

"Rebecca Kaplan, who owns photographic equipment retailer Glazer’s Camera in Seattle, reports that analogue photography products are “still a profit center for our business.” After the market shifted following the introduction of digital photography, Kaplan says, their film photography sales numbers have stayed consistent for the past five years." (Emphasis added by me)
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agree with Matt. I get into Glazer's Camera every so often when I'm in Seattle.

Across the street in the older analog building, for those who know it. There's always lots of people in there. Or at least lots more than there used to be. The odd thing is, they're always young people. And not young only in comparison to me. College-age young. I feel out of place. Or out of generation.

One young lady saw me rummaging through the Omega enlarger accessory drawers and struck up a nice darkroom conversation. It was a good afternoon. Not only did I get to spend pleasant time with her, but I scored a brand new Omega 6x6 Rapid Shift Glass Carrier for my D5-XL on top of it. She was carrying a brand new Mamiya 7II/80mm outfit. Could'a bought a nice digital camera for that price, said I. Not interested, said she...

Nice to see analog in a continuing cautious rebound these days.

Ken

P.S. Maybe some day we'll bump into each other at Glazer's? Or Kenmore Camera?
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought it was interesting and encouraging that the article pointed out that several magazines and companies will still request film for the certain look that film provides. In this day and age, nearly any straw seems worth grasping.

-Tim

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The odd thing is, they're always young people...
    It seems to me that it's a lot of the older folk (speaking about amatuer photographers, here) who have completely jumped to the digtible side. Younger people don't seem to be as intensly committed that side of the fence. My teenage and early twenties daughters will often grab one of our SLR's, head out with a roll of 36 and come back having shot it all and then off with dad to process. And they often shoot some pretty good stuff - imagewise that is. They usually get me to scan the negs to post online, but sometimes they ask to print with the enlarger. Phones, of course, are used for snapshots. Each of them has a nice digisnapper but they don't really seem to get used that much any more.

Ham radio seems to be much the same, the older guys are going for the SDRs and the really high priced gear. Younger guys are often not that impressed and very happy with the older rigs.

Maybe it's like older fellows and vettes.

Has anyone else noticed this trend? Sounds like some of you have.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    "Lomography, a company that manufactures analogue cameras and film, says its worldwide sales doubled in 2011, when the company sold two million rolls of film."

Back in the day, that wouldn't have seemed very much, but in today's shrunken market for roll film, that's not too shabby, esp. since most of that is probably 120.
    Indeed. I wouldn't mind owning a company which manufactured two million rolls of film per year.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Indeed. I wouldn't mind owning a company which manufactured two million rolls of film per year.

Steve.
    Lomography manufactures film? I thought they just re-branded. Where is the Lomography film factory?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bugbugbug View Post
    Lomography manufactures film? I thought they just re-branded. Where is the Lomography film factory?
    Downtown Lomograd? They rebrand.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin