Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,924   Posts: 1,522,105   Online: 790

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    It seems to me that it's a lot of the older folk (speaking about amatuer photographers, here) who have completely jumped to the digtible side. Younger people don't seem to be as intensly committed that side of the fence. My teenage and early twenties daughters will often grab one of our SLR's, head out with a roll of 36 and come back having shot it all and then off with dad to process. And they often shoot some pretty good stuff - imagewise that is. They usually get me to scan the negs to post online, but sometimes they ask to print with the enlarger. Phones, of course, are used for snapshots. Each of them has a nice digisnapper but they don't really seem to get used that much any more.

Ham radio seems to be much the same, the older guys are going for the SDRs and the really high priced gear. Younger guys are often not that impressed and very happy with the older rigs.

Maybe it's like older fellows and vettes.

Has anyone else noticed this trend? Sounds like some of you have.
    I wonder if one reason might be that digital is just so much faster than doing your own darkroom work. Of course this doesn't matter if you send it out. But I have a HUGE backlog of negatives unprinted going back at least a year - most have been contacted but that's all -and several sheets of 4x5 and at least a half dozen more rolls of 35mm and 120 to develop. Working a full time job AND having a life with a wife now, AND the fact she likes to travel (she also hugely encourages my photography as I encourage her poetry) AND the fact we're visiting two sets of family in two different states on holidays and special occasions AND the fact I have other hobby interests, there's just no TIME. One problem is that with no running water in my darkroom right now set up and clean up times, already long enough, are extended. It's not like many hobbies I can for an hour here and there as I can. An hour is not enough time to get set up and then cleaned up leaving no time for actually printing, and even two hours means maybe half of it devoted to printing and hardly worth the effort. Digital I could, if I were so inclined, shoot away, process a few images a bit at a time on the computer and save my intermediate steps. I'm not doing that, though I expect to get into some hybrid workflow soonish (what else am I going to do with the 4x5 Ektachrome stashed in the freezer now that Ilfochrome is defunct anyway?)

As a middle aged adult I find my life incredibly rich, but incredibly busy and complicated. I love analog photography but it's just really hard to squeeze in time for it.

WRT ham radio - heck, I lost interest in ham radio many years ago mainly because all the other hams were boring old farts. They knew the technology, which had incredible capacity and potential to connect people in the days before the Internet, but had nothing worth saying and there was almost no one I cared to talk to. The exceptions were a few young guys about my age who were all local and we wore out the 2m repeaters (and upset not a few of the stodgy old guys we called Greyfaces (nod to anyone who catches the reference!)

So you mean to tell me there are young people in ham radio now? Wow. I've been wanting to get back into radio, but my attraction is almost completely to the old gear, stuff I wanted and couldn't afford when I got started in the 70s and older stuff yet that I can actually understand and work on. The old stuff to me has heart and soul in a way that a wunderbrick of ICs never will.

Quote Originally Posted by bugbugbug View Post
    Lomography manufactures film? I thought they just re-branded. Where is the Lomography film factory?
    Dirka-Dirkastan, actually. Film, F### YEAH!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    could be those older folks are more "blazé" or in otherwords have lost the pride in the process and are more interested in a quick result. They have no interest in needing to work for results anymore.And they defend their current position with biased pixel/grain counting "tests". I can relate to having "lost the passion" with my current job but it's not really a good thing...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I can relate to having "lost the passion" with my current job but it's not really a good thing...
    Me too. Hence, analog photography! Agreed, it's not really a good thing.

So you mean to tell me there are young people in ham radio now?
    No, it is still mostly boring old farts. "Young" people in ham radio are in their early 50's. We do have a few intelligent, enthusiastic souls on our local repeater that I will credit with getting me restarted in analog photography.

Unfortunately, both are dying out dinosaurs of avocations. I would go so far as to say digitable technology has been the downfall of both.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I definitely think the turning one's nose up to film is an old fart thing, I almost never get that from young people, ages 15-30 roughly.

For example, the city of Glenwood Springs, CO built a new high school a few years ago. At the insistence of several teachers, an impressive 7 enlarger station darkroom was built. In the first semester is was 75% full, now there is a waiting list since it is 100% every year. When I talked to some of the students and asked them why they are interested in it several of them said that the whole hype engine behind the digital and internet age is kind of off-putting, one young lady went as far as to say "It all gives me a headache"...

There is now such an enormous difference between what I read on the internet and what I encounter in person that is is almost troubling at times, but for the most part it is a relief. A few months ago, I got invited to become a faculty member of a new media program at a local college who's namesake is that of an author who wrote the book on Mr. Jobs. I met with the Dean of Instruction and while it went well, I implored him to also bring back some form of traditional workflow to the school and told him why I think it is important. He agreed and is looking into it..

Tomorrow I get interviewed by a documentary film maker about Kodachrome, one of the backdrops for B-roll footage will be the now empty store front of what used to be a Wolf Camera, the only place to get a photo printed in one of the most photographed towns on earth. In a town of 6,000 year-round residents, we used to have two full service labs that could turn around up to 8"x10" sheet film in 4 hours, now we have nada.

The winds of change in the industry are still strong enough to push you across the Pacific, it's an all hands on deck kind of thing to keep film around now, but we all know that....

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I definitely think the turning one's nose up to film is an old fart thing, I almost never get that from young people, ages 15-30 roughly.

For example, the city of Glenwood Springs, CO built a new high school a few years ago. At the insistence of several teachers, an impressive 7 enlarger station darkroom was built. In the first semester is was 75% full, now there is a waiting list since it is 100% every year. When I talked to some of the students and asked them why they are interested in it several of them said that the whole hype engine behind the digital and internet age is kind of off-putting, one young lady went as far as to say "It all gives me a headache"...

There is now such an enormous difference between what I read on the internet and what I encounter in person that is is almost troubling at times, but for the most part it is a relief. A few months ago, I got invited to become a faculty member of a new media program at a local college who's namesake is that of an author who wrote the book on Mr. Jobs. I met with the Dean of Instruction and while it went well, I implored him to also bring back some form of traditional workflow to the school and told him why I think it is important. He agreed and is looking into it..

Tomorrow I get interviewed by a documentary film maker about Kodachrome, one of the backdrops for B-roll footage will be the now empty store front of what used to be a Wolf Camera, the only place to get a photo printed in one of the most photographed towns on earth. In a town of 6,000 year-round residents, we used to have two full service labs that could turn around up to 8"x10" sheet film in 4 hours, now we have nada.

The winds of change in the industry are still strong enough to push you across the Pacific, it's an all hands on deck kind of thing to keep film around now, but we all know that....
    Thanks for the press release!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Thanks for the press release!
    If you haven't figured out why people are put off by your attitude, those five sarcastic words sum it up nicely.

I'm as realistic as they come with respect to not only photographic technology, but every other aspect of life as well. However, I don't visit pools just to pee in them. Please join Aristophanes, wherever he/she went.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    If you haven't figured out why people are put off by your attitude, those five sarcastic words sum it up nicely.

I'm as realistic as they come with respect to not only photographic technology, but every other aspect of life as well. However, I don't visit pools just to pee in them. Please join Aristophanes, wherever he/she went.
    It's not costing me any sleep. Honest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The fact is that within the small film photography market the only section that shows huge growth year after year is the 'toy camera' users. Lomography.org is the world's largest film and film camera retailer by far. Without their financial help we wouldn't have the selection of films available today. I think APUG should take this fact into consideration.

Shooter
    127 Format
    What never seems to be taken into condideration is the massive economic depression the US has been through the past 5 years. This affects luxuries like film and processing immensely.

How many companies didn't survive the 1929 depression?

As the depression winds down, people are having a bit more fun and playing with film photography.

Look at the prices of used film gear. It has shot up in the past year. Many objects like bodies and lenses have doubled. Auctions are drawing multiple bids. People will want film for those cameras.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    It's not costing me any sleep. Honest.
    That was obvious from the ongoing behavior. Thus my futile attempt to explain why it should.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin