Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,966   Posts: 1,558,429   Online: 960

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    All that is required is to solve some engineering problems... The obstacles ultimately are political and financial.
    I think there may be more than just political and financial devils in those engineering details...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    Nuclear fusion, if ever realized, will bring another form of very dangerous pollution in the long run, "heat" pollution. The huge amount of energy that will be produced if ever we find out how to exploit nuclear fusion will remain "trapped" on Earth (because of its limited dissipation capabilities) and, in the very long run, will create another greenhouse effect, of much bigger dimensions as energy will be so cheap to produce. I actually hope that is never found because I cannot imagine a collective effort to reduce consumption of something useful and basically free, everybody will try to "ride free" on others.

Biofuel, biomasses are the most likely answer in the intermediate term. Brasil is going to be Saudi Arabia of the future. The world will consume biogas, ethanol and biodiesel etc. in power plants which are sure to be safer than any atomic thing and will not increase the greenhouse effect. This is not utopia, it's very much present technology and behaviour.
    So the future is: much more alternative energies (wind, solar, possibly hydroelectric where feasible) complemented by biofuels of various kind (gaseous, liquid, solid).

Regarding the end of oil in 2050, I doubt it. I'm 46 now. When I was 6, I used to read that in 40 years oil would be over. Quite worrying. The same term was given when I was 16, when I was 26, when I was 36, and now. I bet my family jewels that in 20 years time we will read that oil is going to end within 40 years. The mining industry does not look for reserves beyond a certain satisfactory known capacity. Reserves are always, in the long run, about 40 years because looking for oil (or metals) is expensive. The same "40 years" saying applies to copper, silver, gold etc. The fact is that we searched only a small part of the planet. Besides, we might find new ways of extracting metal, or hydrocarbons (see the recent example of shale gas, or "unconventional gas", a total revolution in the industry, or the Canadian extraction of oil from schists) from places which were deemed unprofitable.

The reason why we should look for alternative sources of energy is not the exhaustion of oil, but its "dirtiness" and its effect on world climate in the very long run.

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Our comfort and convenience... everything human beings alter... destroys the earth. We are our own worst enemy (in the long run... or short run... in whatever time-frame you choose to view it).
    Last edited by Old-N-Feeble; 05-18-2012 at 06:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only long term energy sources are Fusion, Fission, Biomass, Solar, Wind, and Tidal. Except for Solar, Wind and Tidal, the others produce heat and some produce some form of toxic waste. Wind is bad for birds, Tidal changes the sea, Biomass produces CO2, Fission produces heat, radiation and toxic waste and Fusion produces heat and eventually can produce toxic waste.

Nothing we do to produce energy is safe or non-toxic. Maybe we can beam the sunlight to earth via mirrors or microwaves, but imagine what would happen if a mirror went out of adjustment? There is no safe energy producing system.

And some forecasts that I have seen do not give us the 2050 date!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All forms of man-made energy transformation result in heat transfer and/or toxicity. Some are less efficient/toxic than others.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We should dump all of that excess energy into the 10th dimension and rid ourselves of the Red Lectroids!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm you're you're right, PE... you and Einstein.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The only long term energy sources are Fusion, Fission, Biomass, Solar, Wind, and Tidal.
    And Geothermal.

My own idea is to shoot a looooong cable way out into space, and fasten it to the ground. Then, as it winds back in we have gears and stuff that turn to make electricity.

Maybe we need to send two cables in opposite directions so we don't pull the planet off its orbit.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Geothermal depletes with time. It cools the core of the earth rapidly causing shrinking of the crust and earthquakes. I omitted it due to that problem.

The cables into space have been considered and described by Arthur Clark and others, but there is a need for several more generations of development in material strength before such a device can be built. I believe that he explores it in his SF book "Fountains of Paradise" but there are many others.

Of course, if we knew enough, we could construct a Ringworld or a Dyson Sphere.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Geothermal depletes with time. It cools the core of the earth rapidly causing shrinking of the crust and earthquakes. I omitted it due to that problem.
    So we just have to cap off a few volcanoes. The heat's coming out anyway, so we'll just use it, instead of it coming out all over the place as hot rocks.

The cables into space have been considered and described by Arthur Clark and others, but there is a need for several more generations of development in material strength before such a device can be built. I believe that he explores it in his SF book "Fountains of Paradise" but there are many others.
    Yeah, but don't those use the magnetic field or something? My idea has the rotation of the Earth winding it back in, so it would just have to be able to resist salt water where it crosses the oceans, and make sure it doesn't get cut by mountaintops. I figure high grade stainless steel will work.

Now I just have to figure out how to keep it from getting tangled around the moon.

Of course, if we knew enough, we could construct a Ringworld or a Dyson Sphere.

PE
    You never heard of Molly Ringworld?

As for the Dyson Sphere, it's already been done. www.dyson.com/homepage.asp
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin