Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,550   Posts: 1,573,072   Online: 825

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    MIT still has an operational nuclear reactor, parked in the middle of Downtown Cambridge. I think it uses the same type of fuel that the Kodak reactor does/did. 90% of the people in town walk right by that reactor every day but don't even know what it is. The folks at MIT are somewhat quiet about the fact that there is a reactor sitting in the middle of their campus but if you ask them about it, you'll probably get a nonchalant, "Yeah, it's over there," as the person points it out.
    Technically, it's in Kendall Sq., so not really "Downtown," to the extent that Cambridge actually has a "downtown". Every now and then, they'll offer a public tour of the reactor, but I have yet to be able to score a ticket--they're very limited, and are all taken within hours of availability. And during lat year's open house, due to my own bad planning, I missed out on a tour of the fusion research lab.

Given that my entire neighborhood is surrounded by biotech research labs, MIT's reactor is not high on my list of worries.

I'd be really surprised if the fuel was really "weapons grade." Technically, I suppose, any "highly-enriched uranium" could be fashioned into a bomb, but I'd guess what they had was way below what is usually used in bombs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is journalistic sensationalism to me. I don't see how a "Nuclear Reactor" can operate on subcritical mass. The device in question is a "Californium Multiplier" which is a unique and rare instrument containing a subcritical mass of uranium used to produce a neutron beam for research.

It looks like it is a clever alternative to a particle accelerator.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by F/1.4 View Post
    LOL I love the comment "momma don't take my californium-252 away"
    *conspiracy theory*
    - Kodak dismantles the nuclear reactor in 2007
    - Kodak ceases production of Kodachrome in 2009

How long does a batch of that secret Kodachrome dye last PE? 2 years or so? I expect no response....
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    I'd be really surprised if the fuel was really "weapons grade." Technically, I suppose, any "highly-enriched uranium" could be fashioned into a bomb, but I'd guess what they had was way below what is usually used in bombs.
    I think they do actually have highly enriched uranium at the MIT reactor. As in weapons grade. The little info I could find on it stated 93% enriched, which is pretty darn high.

Also, if you want to get a tour of the MIT fusion lab, better try hard this year. It's unclear whether it is going to enough funding to continue.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Kodak, via it's Tennessee Eastman subsidiary, played a key role in the Manhattan Project, providing women to operate one of the enrichment systems at Oak Ridge. So it doesn't surprise me that they would have been 'trusted' with the neutron device in Kodak Park. The fact that almost no one knew it was there just shows that the trust was not misplaced.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    I think they do actually have highly enriched uranium at the MIT reactor. As in weapons grade. The little info I could find on it stated 93% enriched, which is pretty darn high.
    Research reactors are typically using fuel in the 20-30 percent range. There's no practical reason to use 90+ percent in a reactor--it would be too hard to control. Also, MIT is in the process of converting to LEU.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodachrome couplers have a half life longer than most nuclear fuels.

It is not well known but many EK researchers from the WWII era worked on the Manhattan project. They were drafted!

And here, all along, I thought that the basement of Kodak Office was the executive parking lot.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I know MIT is in the process of converting. Still, the info I found stated very clearly 93% enriched uranium. MIT is one of two research reactors in the country that still use highly enriched uranium, if facts on the internet are to be believed.

http://www.rertr.anl.gov/RERTR33/pdfs/S8-P1_Newton.pdf
    http://dels.nas.edu/resources/static...tonNAS-RAS.pdf

I think using HEU in research reactors was more common in the past, along with higher enrichment values.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    And here, all along, I thought that the basement of Kodak Office was the executive parking lot. PE
    He.....so when you used to get home late and you said that you had to help your boss who had a flat tire in the subbasement parking.....we knew where you really were
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    He kept me after once and I missed my car pool. He drove me home.

True story. But, I worked in a different building, not the office downtown.

PE

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin