Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,336   Posts: 1,537,569   Online: 1088

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I saw that yesterday; didn't have the stomach to post it here...

Not good news it seems, a patent that they currently license to other firms for abt $1bil
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Why would Apple care, you don't need film anymore, just buy an iPhone and get the right app...

Effing hipsters.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Apple claims that back in the 80's, they and Kodak had a partnership to create some kind of camera, it never went to market, but Apple believes that the technology they brought to the table for this partnership was then patented by Kodak and then Kodak turned around and sued Apple....

Anyway, all this this does matter a lot to Apple bc they will eventually kill the P&S and a treasure trove of patents related to photography will be the next big frontier
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    This only relates to a few Kodak patents; there are many more still in litigation.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    ^Which makes the sale of these patents harder. I wonder what company would want to buy Kodak's patents when many are being litigated about. That is the part that really worries me, Kodak needs this cash to move forward to be a printing (and I hope film) company but the above is a not so good outcome (ie one of their patents was invalidated)
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All this suing over rudimentary technology isn't good for innovation. A good business for lawyers, not so good for actual people designing stuff. I don't hold in high regard Kodak's decision to make a business of patents. I do like their film and hope that gets spun off before the lawyers suck kodak dry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I understand it, the current market value of the patent portfolios is that they allows patent holders to extract large licensing fees from others.

It seems that in today's world, very few patent holders actually manufacture using their patents.

Those licensing fees replace the cash flow that innovators used to get from their inventiveness.

Sad, isn't it.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    I don't hold in high regard Kodak's decision to make a business of patents..
    Desperation, I think. Look for anything with value to "monetize".

It should be noted that it's not over yet. Kodak is appealing.

(Not nearly as appealing as it used to be)
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This does not surprise me, it's hard to see how any of these patent suits are going to work at this point. Add to this the fact I got a personal email last week from one of the very highest on the film totem pole at Kodak saying that after 20 years, they have left as of this week to work for another company and the slide just continues....

The latter is going to be fairly big news once it hits the web, I am waiting to see who breaks it first, it sure as hell won't be me...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin