Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,845   Online: 1072

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Other than a few times when I forgot to reverse a darkslide and ended up with a double exposure,
    I doubt that I've made an exposure error even .001% of the time in the past half century, regardless
    of format. Heck, I dropped my light meter in a snowmelt creek a couple summers back, and even the
    chromes I took on that trip were spot on, based simply on memory of analogous exposure situations.
    But given the fact that most the texting generation will probably be unable to spell any word over
    three letters long or be able to comprehend 10% of the Readers Digest Condensed Dictionary, the
    disposable cardboard film camera will probably be impossible to comprehend. Nothing works anymore
    unless you have 379 programs you have to learn to turn off before you can take a picture.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In my not so humble opinion, this was a poor article and did the film community no favors. YMMV

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Dang... all those light streaks and such I never wrestled with in the 20 years I used film.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Too many people around the NYT know film--and know better--to have let this goofy piece get published. Bizarre, especially when compared to this CNN piece from last year:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/08/20/living...yet/index.html

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My first thought was, "film is back? I didn't know it had left." After reading the article I agree with David. It is poorly written. Lots of "hip" jargon: "part with a few bills," "invest a significant amount of time — and coin —..." Journalism isn't what it used to be.
    Last edited by Dan Henderson; 05-31-2012 at 04:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not defending it, but to give it some context, this is a regular weekly column devoted to new "tech" things....ie desktop speakers, internet radios, stuff like that.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Incompetent jorurnalism plain and simple. A decent 110 camera can beat any camera phone made, and 35mm is so far ahead it isn't worth comparing. As for usability, things don't get much easier to use than the Stylus Epic, which was also pretty cheap at $79 when discontinued. So the only valid complaints on the list were the limited number of shots and the inconvenience of having to get processing. The latter seemed an odd coupling with the amount of space devoted to instant film.

Shooter
    35mm
    I guess I'm cool again. Is it okay if I don't have any light leaks?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Film is back?
    Oh wooooow. I think the imperfections are in the writing craft of journalism.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This person needs to be clued in. Go to

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/refere...ham/index.html

and write her an email. My newer film bodies are older then her.
    W.A. Crider

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin