Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,283   Online: 961

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Finally after all these years, now that the NYT approve the use of film, I will finally be able to sleep at night with a clear conscience!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "Let’s start with the cons. Analog cameras require a little more precision to operate than digital ones. It can take some time to figure out how they work and to learn how to reload them without dropping them on the sidewalk. The film itself is fairly delicate and often needs to be refrigerated and shielded from the sun."

"And when the prints show up, there can be wild variations in color and the sort of unpredictability that turns a photo into something that seems like a unique piece of art."
    The author's readers seem to be ham-fisted, camera-dropping nincompoops. And as everyone knows, if you drop film on the "sidewalk", it breaks and all the pictures will fall out!

Cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP View Post
    Incompetent jorurnalism plain and simple. A decent 110 camera can beat any camera phone made
    Except, of course, that the majority of 110 cameras were not "decent". They were in fact "crap". I remember this facet of using them clearly. Even as a kid I could not be fooled. As soon as I could get my hands on something better, the 110 was history.

Yes, it's kind of a dumb article--a young tech writer writing about some lomo stuff for for her audience. Yes, film was finicky and difficult, which is why it's hard to believe that billions of people used it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any article that mentions film, without "is dead" attached, is a good thing, regardless of whether it is poorly written, or focused on a small subset of film use.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    "Techno junkies" should be outlawed from writing articles dealing with any form of art. They have no clue and no feel for the medium. I have seen this kind of thing in the local paper here and I’m surprised I have any hair left! I love my "seemingly archaic art …" since it requires craft and vision which these kinds of people know nothing about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most any name brand auto loading point and shoot with DX coding and AF, in combination with a roll of Tri-X is the most fool proof combo you can get. I used to carry prints around in a portfolio just to show people that its not all lomo, film produces high quality and detailed images.

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, no camera is entirely "fool proof". People still manage to stick their finger in front of the lens just as the shutter trips, or obscure the flash of Aunt Grettel managing a rare smile with the sun beaming down behind her.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Indeed I stand corrected, almost fool proof haha.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP View Post
    Incompetent jorurnalism plain and simple. A decent 110 camera can beat any camera phone made, and 35mm is so far ahead it isn't worth comparing.
    I mean no disrespect, but I am not in agreement with this.

I did a show last year of photos from my iPhone 4, not even the 4S, in Hipstamatic that were printed in 10" x 10" and two of them at 30" x 30", all looked great, sold enough on the opening night to pay for 15 new iPhones. I can tell you with full confidence that even an ASA 100 film shot in 110 would not begin to compete with the above.

I'm sorry but it is this kind of statement that really makes the non-film using community laugh, does us no good...at all.

As for the article, meh, I have read better in the NYT, and I shoot for them several times a year...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I cant believe people buy hipsmatic prints lol. But yes cell phone quality is decent in bright light. My previous nokia n72 had an AF zeiss lens with an actual xenon flash tube. It took amazing 5mp photos in the day, and the flash was and still is leagues ahead of the LEDs now. No funky inphone image editors back then either.

But the cell phone is as I view it a last resort, I've probably taken only 75 or so shots with my iPhone 4 these last two years ive had it.

I'm hoping this phase of photography ebbs soon. too much lomo for my taste not everything requires over saturation and vignettes.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin