Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,842   Online: 895

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've got a good use for cell phone cameras. You see, just below the platform of my big Ries wooden
    tripod there a little hook where you can hang a mesh bag. Sometimes even with an 8x10 camera there's too much wind for a steady shot. So you take a bunch of rocks or cell phones or whatever
    and throw them in that little mesh bag to add extra weight and stability. Now that's technology!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I read the article "in the flesh" so to speak. My diner has the Times on a small stand so I "borrowed" a copy to peruse during my lunch. I was disappointed that they only focused on the non-traditional Lomography, Polaroid etc and not more on traditional uses of film that still have a strong following. However, I agree with the poster above who says young people don't read newspapers anyway. Most youngsters get interested in film from what other youngsters are doing with film. Youngsters mimic each other as they do in all generations. If film remains interesting to some youngsters, it will be interesting to others, notwithstanding what the Times says or not.

Also, much of the spread of film, and this is a guess, may be through social sites like Facebook which allows you to post your Lomography. Which reminds me. My daughter gave me this little box for my birthday. It has all these little colored translucent plastic pieces. You're suppose to place it in front of the lens for interesting colored shots. Now I think I figured out what to do with them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have to agree with a lot of the discussion here that there was a bit too much emphasis on the lomography/flawed aspect of film (although some of their cameras look like a lot of fun) but it was nice they were discussing film. I would have liked to have seen some mention of the large format work being done in film that is the total opposite end of the spectrum from what the lomography folks are doing. (Not to mention a lot of fine art photographers are still using film.)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cepwin View Post
    I have to agree with a lot of the discussion here that there was a bit too much emphasis on the lomography/flawed aspect of film (although some of their cameras look like a lot of fun) but it was nice they were discussing film.
    The problem was not really that there was too much emphasis on Lomo, since that was clearly the actual topic of the article. The real problem was it didn't make clear that that was the real topic of the article. The point of the article was that some people like Lomo because it gives you something very visually different from the clinic sameness of the usual digicam. It was just expressed very poorly. If it had been clearly expressed that what they were talking about was a subset of film photography, it would have been a better article.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If The New York Times says it, it must be true.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    If The New York Times says it, it must be true.
    Can Lomo and Holga save film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lomo, Hippo, I had my fun with it, like any medium, if you pair it up nicely with the right subject, it rocks....it's not like film has not had passing fads before...

I don't really shoot in Hipstamatic anymore and the one show is the only one I will ever do. That said, I love, love Love the app called "Viewfinder Pro" to pre-visualize a potential shot before even setting up my view camera...

Shooter
    35mm
    I failed to find out the reason why Lomo has to be done with film? I thought it can be better done with a digital like the cell phone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Can Lomo and Holga save film?
    It's just another post for people who can't face facts, and like clutching at straws.like the ones who can't accept that that Kodachrome is no more.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I failed to find out the reason why Lomo has to be done with film? I thought it can be better done with a digital like the cell phone.
    These days, very little needs to be done with film. To say that it can be "better done with a digital" misses the point of why we choose film.

Every time I see the dismissive attitude towards Holgas/Dianas, I'm pretty certain it comes from someone who has never tried a Holga/Diana. We use them because they're a lot of fun...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin