Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,984   Online: 683

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    It's just another post for people who can't face facts.
    Be nice Wallace. If Gromit decides to shot some film, ANY film, it may not bring film back but it will help will help us all out by keeping some of the lines running for a bit longer.

Shooter
    35mm
    As head student leader of a university photography club in 2008, I started seeing this trend, and I was annoyed by it. People started bringing up Holga...this was before Lomography was really popular. I really didn't see the point in equating film with cheap plastic cameras. People were assuming that one automatically went with the other, even 4 years ago. And this was before IPhones really took off.

But I'll tell you, I got a handful of members interested in trying the legendary Kodachrome. We bought a bunch of rolls off of PKM-25 for a good price. I think people enjoyed the experience of shooting Kodachrome before it ended.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The up side of the Lomography "movement" is that it tends to counter the growing perception that film is no longer a casual, everyday medium.

Most people who shoot with Lomography equipment do so because they enjoy it - and when is that not good?

It would be nice, however, if there was a better appreciation of the alternatives.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I actually like the plastic aesthetic of Lomo and Holga cameras, but my biggest objection is their lack of exposure control, typically offering two apertures and one shutter speed - two if you count bulb. Their operation relies on film's dynamic range and the auto-exposure employed in the typical photo lab's printing technology to get adequate prints from over or under exposed negatives.

-Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's been a while since I've haunted this place, due to business in academia.

I'll take any article with good news, as well! I'll also do my darndest to save the art one frame at a time and take the opportunity to educate anyone who's willing to listen.

One of my Japanese classmates graduated and I shot some graduation pictures of him and his mother with E100G and Super 8. I just sent the film off to get processed and I just know the results will be excellent. He told me that he didn't think he could learn to shoot film and I told him "Nonsense. It took me an afternoon to learn the basics of film."

I'll be sure to post some links once I get the film back!
    Typical digital zombies say: "Adapt or die!" "The world is changing, change with it!" "Analog is old and nasty! EEEEEEEWWWWWW!" "Why should I pay money for getting my pictures when I can have everything NOW?" "Why shoot manual when you can have the camera do everything automatically?"

Primary 35mm camera - Pentax K1000
    Secondary 35mm camera - Mamiya/Sekor 1000 DTL - M42 Mount
    Medium Format: Mamiya RB67

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Let's see ... all you need is an f-stop setting, shutter speed per ASA, meter reading, and focus.
    Anything else is redundant. That makes a basic film camera about a thouand times easier to use
    than something which comes with an owner's manual as thick as a phone book (remember those?),
    and that you have to open up seventy-nine optional programs and turn all but one off before you
    push the button. But the problem I always have, is where do you attach the darkcloth on a digital
    camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Let's see ... all you need is an f-stop setting, shutter speed per ASA, meter reading, and focus.
    Anything else is redundant. That makes a basic film camera about a thouand times easier to use
    than something which comes with an owner's manual as thick as a phone book (remember those?),
    and that you have to open up seventy-nine optional programs and turn all but one off before you
    push the button. But the problem I always have, is where do you attach the darkcloth on a digital
    camera?
    I have been unable to learn chimpin'. Is there a remedial chimpin' class available?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Put a pinup sticker on the camera back, it'll get you to chimp

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin