Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,976   Online: 928

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I'm not surprised. My wife and I live in France about 3/4 of the year. The interest in analogue photography is much bigger in Europe and the UK than in North America. France and England each have several large vendors of films, paper, chemicals and equipment. The photo magazine I read every month always includes some analogue info and has an extra issue every year dedicated to black and white.
    It just seems to be more of an 'arts' mentality. At any given time, there are dozens of photo exhibits going on in Paris and London. To find even one or two on the go in Toronto is becoming a rarity.
    I have people in Canada and the US look at me like I'm from another planet when they find out I'm shooting film, in Europe, they don't give it a second thought.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice snap shot!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not bad.
    In Finland we have a new president as well. However, the so-called official photograph of him was widely criticised. Photoshopping is so evident, have a look:
    http://www.iltalehti.fi/uutiset/2012...59656_uu.shtml

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Three threads merged...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Looks like it could be part of a college student's typology project - just another guy, centrally composed. "But Mr. President, look at that BOKEH!!!"

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jojje View Post
    Not bad.
    In Finland we have a new president as well. However, the so-called official photograph of him was widely criticised. Photoshopping is so evident, have a look:
    http://www.iltalehti.fi/uutiset/2012...59656_uu.shtml
    Mmmhh, the pin-ups on my calendars are photoshopped in a much less evident way...

Have a look at this other one:

http://www.quirinale.it/elementi/Con...o=Foto&key=145

They don't even say who is the photographer, the picture seems to me well executed, not evidently retouched and, judging from the artifacts, it should be a scan from a print (?). He was elected in 2006. Next one is elected next year. I hope the official portrait it's taken with film, and not evidently retouched.

Imagine that, a conventional portrait, made by a conventional photographer. How petit-bourgeois! (And the guy is even a former Communist!).

Fabrizio

His lips have a visible make up, I guess.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for merging the threads Suzanne.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Je pense que si Annie Leibovitz obtenu le concert que nous serions vraiment obtenir ce que WOW! facteur qui brille à travers. La photo comme il est apparaît comme une déclaration valable pour le cinéma, mais pas par n'importe quel tronçon de compétence technique, qui je pense est assez pauvre.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Je pense que si Annie Leibovitz obtenu le concert que nous serions vraiment obtenir ce que WOW! facteur qui brille à travers. La photo comme il est apparaît comme une déclaration valable pour le cinéma, mais pas par n'importe quel tronçon de compétence technique, qui je pense est assez pauvre.
    Annie would have made it be too theatrical in my view whereas Depardon photographed this street per se. The more I think about this photograph, the more I begin to like it. Hollande is shown as a part of the government, not the government (ie at a desk governing), something subtle, different, brilliant here....

Some photos of the setup...

http://www.lense.fr/2012/06/04/franc...mond-depardon/
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    Actually I have the impression the lens is probably slightly wide angular, the camera is aimed slightly downward, which makes the head of the President so unfortunately prominent. Buildings are not supposed to cut a head in two, but this is no normal building, and no normal head, so why should the photograph be normal?

Besides, remember that during the electoral campaign this candidate promised to renegotiate all the rules about composition, which were unfairly dictated by the Germans profiting from the fact that they made the camera and the lens.

You can actually see a subtle political message there: the photographer "of the peasant" (very worker-minded, well done, good shot) instead of the photographer of the celebrities, the portrait like your aunt would have made it (power to the people!), the tailor who was working as a milkman until election day, it all says "make no mistake, I'm not your usual President working for the bourgeois and the banks".

He's not holding a black child in his arms only because it's an official shot.

Fabrizio

Yes my politically incorrect idea is that he's a bloody demagogue. And I have all the right to express my opinion because he's a "cousin" after all
    If you tili the camera down, the head would appear smaller.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin