Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,838   Online: 726

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Selling your stock through Flickr

Take a look at the stock deal between Flickr and Getty. It's an outright rape to me. But I'll let you be the judge.

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/06/04/...es/#more-57989

I just put a photo in a show and it's a 60/40 split and 60% goes to me. I thought it was a bit steep.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's just an offer. It's up to you to accept it or not.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    80/20 is ridiculous but hey, to each his own. A new local gallery has some of my work and it's 50/50. Yes, steep also, but 50% of nothing is still nothing...but if prints sell, then I'm happy. Now, giving up rights for an 80/20 deal? No. Then again I don't do stock photography, which is a totally different business model.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    80/20 is ridiculous but hey, to each his own. A new local gallery has some of my work and it's 50/50. Yes, steep also, but 50% of nothing is still nothing...but if prints sell, then I'm happy. Now, giving up rights for an 80/20 deal? No. Then again I don't do stock photography, which is a totally different business model.
    I think 70/30 is good.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I think 70/30 is good.
    Yeah, Clive, that is the norm I think. I gave the aforementioned gallery 50/50 because they talk a big game and I really want to see if they perform. Stock is a volume game though and it can work for some.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Getty= garbage heap...

I rep my own stock and keep 100%, it still pulls in significant income per year. I saw where the Getty business model was going 15 years ago, bad deal then, carrier suicide now.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good for you! It looks like all the money you make from stock images is yours. I think with the Internet, it makes stock agencies like Getty less valuable and maybe one day, irrelevant. My question to APUGer is what do stock agencies offer photographers these days?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I sell some through Alamy and their split is 60/40 in favor of the photographer. They currently have over 31 million pics online so the competition is tough.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin