Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,217   Posts: 1,659,500   Online: 814

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213141516171822 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak's core competency from the start was Chemistry. Remember that all analog photography is based on chemistry and there were Tennessee Eastman and Texas Eastman along with Distillation Products Industry which made a bedrock of Kodak's competency. Each was closed or spun off.

Coating was ancillary to make things possible.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Steve Jobs didn't step in at the 11th hour and bring Apple out of bankruptcy, with Apple's sales at a miscule percentage of what they once were. Jobs didn't reinvigorate Apple computer products, he expanded Apple into a market which needed improvement. Phones and music players weren't what Apple was known for, but Apple could manufacture them. Apple did not invent anything new, they simply looked at existing markets and products where an improvement would be an amazing jump.

I'm sure that there are Jobs-like people in Kodak. But there is the basic concept of "too little, too late." When the ship has already smacked into the iceberg, a company needs Superman, not a screaming and bullying CEO. Kodak needs to take the blinders off, jettison everything that doesn't turn a profit, and then rebuild. Can Kodak actually profitably compete in printers? For consumer printers, it's been no good for them, but they keep trying to stay in the market, so they keep burning cash.

Where could Kodak go where they can actually make money? As PE has said, they spun or sold off a lot of profitable divisions. So Kodak still has some chemical engineering, and coating. What can be coated? There was a mention in an article about wallpaper. How about coating smart fabrics? Would it be cool to wear a Kodak picture t-shirt? Petapixel.com had an entry about a t-shirt with display and a camera. Couldn't Kodak do better with a luminous, computing line of clothing? How about Kodak photo print decals? Slap a Kodak decal on your stuff and flash your pics.

There was a recent inovation of 100,000 DPI printing. Can Kodak get onto that? But whatever Kodak does, they are going to have to get through Chapter 11, because I doubt they'd ever get through a "Chapter 22" (repeat Chapter 11).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    No matter how much I'd love to have a Lamborghini, no matter how much I admire them and value them, I doubt I'll ever be able to afford one.

I'd sure jump at the chance to drive one, though.
    I'd settle for an Aston Martian.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak owned O-Led technology that would permit flat screens that could be folded like cloth. A good friend was head of the division working on them. Kodak sold that division to a Korean company.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Kodak's core competency from the start was Chemistry. ... Coating was ancillary to make things possible.
    Ron, I guess I disagree. George started the company to coat film and the chemical side of the business grew as a result of a desire to control the materials used in making coatings.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fred;

I was speaking from the POV that George Eastman had to work with chemistry and learn from chemists before he coated. And his early coating equipment was war less sophisticated than his making equipment. He had chemical engineers to design that equipment.

Also, the engineers designed the molecular still to allow production of the very small, complex and unstable chemicals used in photography. This was one of Kodak's great inventions and contributions to chemical production. DPI was organiced around this apparatus.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Ron,

At this point, there is certainly no denying that the chemical part of the business is more successful than the coating part. Eastman Chemical stock is around $54.00 vs. $0.23 for EK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Kodak's core competency from the start was Chemistry. Remember that all analog photography is based on chemistry and there were Tennessee Eastman and Texas Eastman along with Distillation Products Industry which made a bedrock of Kodak's competency. Each was closed or spun off.

Coating was ancillary to make things possible.

PE
    But what about now? Kodak no longer owns those. Now, it seems to me that coating is a basic competency, when it comes to producing products. Other basic competencies exist, it appears, such as producing and working with nanometer-scale particles.

I wonder what's left of their R&D. Even if they continued to innovate, without the intent to produce but with the intent to sell the technology, maybe that would be something.
    Last edited by lxdude; 08-14-2012 at 03:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I made this point earlier!

If you look at Kodak as a chemical company, they sold off all core divisions and now have to buy things from outside. They do operate some R&D, but outsource some.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Could you imagine if Kodak bought Apple when it had the chance? It boggles the mind. No IPod, IPhones: probably no Apple.

I agree that the management is more concerned with their pockets than saving the company. They are making one monumental blunder after another. I don't use Kodak film and never have, but for the good of photography I hope someone has the foresight to wrestle the coating division away from those morons so Kodak film will continue.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin