Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,293   Online: 815

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314151617181923 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    and never consume coffee.
    Same here. Use it process film but don't drink it!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Today is the day they announce the result of the auction.

February 2013 is the big announcement about the CH 11 results.

Lets hope for the best both times.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    ...I don't dog ear books when I read them in the book store....I have never once complained about the cost of film so you introducing this into your rant is again, nonsensical...It is shocking that something as basic as this needs explaining.
    Nothing you wrote needed explaining. You have taken my observations and, instead of considering the possibility that they are valid, decided to attack the observer.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Wow...
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Wow...
    Brian, why the recurring need to perform a Steve Jobs deathbed impression?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Yeah. Now I remember why I have Sal on ignore at the LFPF...
    Gee Roger, that's the first time anyone has posted they've done so. I find it quite amusing since, unlike some members, my practice has been to avoid wordy, repetitive comments, mistaking a forum for a chat room or stating opinions as fact.

I've only used the ignore function (here and at largeformatphotography.info) for a handful of people who are rude, obnoxious and/or passive/aggressive. You don't qualify as any of those, so I'll not add you to my list at either forum.

Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    ...A book like PE's has ever right to cost what it does, because the appeal is very limited and so sales will not be high.

Just because I cant afford a $120 book does NOT mean that I dont value it. Such an assumption is pure nonsense.
    The market environment we live in sets a thing's value at what someone is willing to pay for it. That you can't afford it is not the crux. Rather, that you "wish you could flip through it" without buying it is. You've valued it at $0. I made no assumption -- it's an observation. An uncomfortable one, perhaps, but valid.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Kodak had plants in: ...
    Does anyone know, is X-Ray film still coated in the Windsor, CO, plant or is that moved to Rochester? Despite the plethora of digital medical imaging devices, I have got to believe Kodak still sells a boatload of T-Mat G. X-ray is a cheap modality and very widely available. With currently climbing medical care costs I would think the insurance companies would be pushing x-ray because it is so cheap. At one time, medical imaging films were several billion a year in profit, never mind sales. Of course, they (kodak) had pretty much tried kill off that product towards the late 1990s, early 2000's as well in the name of "core competencies". DuPont, Fuji and Agfa were the major competitors in the 80s and 90s. I'd heard at my current job that DuPont got out of the business (for the same "core competencies" reasoning but they have teflon and stuff to sell) but I believe both Fuji and Agfa still coat X-Ray film today.
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    All the business factors almost certainly preclude Kodak's film division
    aka Accountants = TROLLS!!!!!
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    kb;

Kodak sold all health care products to a Canadian company. It has since changed its name so I cannot give you the new name. It remains to be seen what (if any) proportion Kodak still makes. In fact, there is a small operation in Oklahoma which is commented on extensively in another thread.

It might be added that since Kodak has sold off almost all digital divisions and is auctioning all patents, about all that remains Kodak is the theater digital projection group, the digital printer group, and the film division. Kodak is reverting slowly but surely to a film company.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Brian, why the recurring need to perform a Steve Jobs deathbed impression?
    Sal, I'd rather PM you the answer to your question; the answer is not very flattering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve Jobs did not say "Oh WOW" he said "Oh, OW". He was in pain:

Kodak did not release the results by noon. The report was that they were waiting for "trumping bids". So, the update will be at 5 or 6 on the local news (if then).

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was (am) in pain too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The market environment we live in sets a thing's value at what someone is willing to pay for it. That you can't afford it is not the crux. Rather, that you "wish you could flip through it" without buying it is. You've valued it at $0. I made no assumption -- it's an observation. An uncomfortable one, perhaps, but valid.
    The only thing that makes me uncomfortable is your staggering lack of intellectual rigor. Believe what you wish.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin