Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,753   Online: 1122

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 610111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I made this point earlier!

If you look at Kodak as a chemical company, they sold off all core divisions and now have to buy things from outside. They do operate some R&D, but outsource some.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Could you imagine if Kodak bought Apple when it had the chance? It boggles the mind. No IPod, IPhones: probably no Apple.

I agree that the management is more concerned with their pockets than saving the company. They are making one monumental blunder after another. I don't use Kodak film and never have, but for the good of photography I hope someone has the foresight to wrestle the coating division away from those morons so Kodak film will continue.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Lointain View Post
    I agree that the management is more concerned with their pockets than saving the company. They are making one monumental blunder after another.
    I saw the problems starting in the later '60s with the rise in MBAs with no product experience in management positions. As I've said many times, "Two things have led to the downfall of US Corporations: the MBA and the spreadsheet." With the computer spreadsheet, the MBAs were able to 'fiddle' with the figures and go for short term gains at the expense of long term gains.

Car Guys vs. Bean Counters: The Battle for the Soul of American Business by Bob Lutz talks about the issue in the auto business, and I certainly saw it at Kodak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    "Two things have led to the downfall of US Corporations: the MBA and the spreadsheet."
    Oh my... This absolutely demands a repeat posting...

The sea change in the American corporate mindset over the last couple of decades has almost succeeded in destroying us all.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Does Kodak have a business plan that has anything to do with reality? They've been selling off and spinning off everything, and all they're left with is a huge coating machine which makes some money, and a bunch of other stuff that doesn't. There's a report that Kodak has just released a business plan, but the report didn't say what Kodak actually plans to do in the future.

There's also mention in the news that since Kodak is having a hard time selling its patents, it might mean bad news for Nokia's and RIM's patent sales. I wonder how long Kodak will extend the bidding.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So what, then, is the deal with this? Now I'm really confused. What Kodak facility is located in Kingsport, Tennessee? Must not be a film-related facility, right?

Eastman Kodak Is Hiring

Note the Ph.D. Polymer Applications Research Scientist position at the bottom.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    So what, then, is the deal with this? Now I'm really confused. What Kodak facility is located in Kingsport, Tennessee? Must not be a film-related facility, right?

Eastman Kodak Is Hiring

Note the Ph.D. Polymer Applications Research Scientist position at the bottom.

Ken
    I'm sure those are actually jobs for Eastman Chemical - some of them actually say that.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post

The page is confusing because it mentions the Eastman Kodak Co on the left. However, all the listed jobs are with Eastman Chemicals which was split off from Eastman Kodak in 1993. Eastman Chemicals has been doing nicely.

One of former CEOs Kay Whitmore's many mistakes.
    Last edited by Prof_Pixel; 08-15-2012 at 04:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ahh, I see. Two of the nine do say that. Of course, two of those I didn't open...

Thanks, Matt. (And Prof_Pixel.)

Ken

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I'd settle for an Aston Martian.
    A sexier British version of the Curiosity Rover?
    Last edited by lxdude; 08-15-2012 at 03:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin