Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,845   Online: 707

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 121617181920212223242526 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The article mentions Kodak's Specialty Chemicals business, whatever that consists of.

It does seem that Kodak wants to keep the movie film.
    I thought all the film is made in the same place. I wonder what the plans are regarding that. Maybe Kodak will make film under contract.

I just do not understand why they kept Perez. I'm beginning to think Perez Hilton would have been better.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope they at least do the coating of master rolls....

Both still and motion stock are coated on the same line in Building 38, which much of the machinery rests on solid blocks of concrete that go down some 40 feet to Rochester bedrock greatly eliminating problematic vibrations. Kodak will continue offering motion stock through 2015 as per a new contract with several major studios, part of their debt is some 26 million owed in overdue rebates to these MP industries.

So maybe they will coat master rolls of it and some other company will slit, package, store and distribute it....?....If not there, then what....

PE, care to weigh in on this?
    Last edited by PKM-25; 08-23-2012 at 10:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know nothing. Sorry.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipA View Post
    I thought Kodak chemistry was already spun off a while back, and is a profitable business. Ron will surely know.
    The Photo Chemistry was licensed to Champion, and Champion are one of the large creditors owed piles of money according to the bankruptcy filing.
    Last edited by MattKing; 08-23-2012 at 09:13 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: misbehaving '
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The Photo Chemistry was licensed to Champion, and Champion are one of the large creditor's owed piles of money according to the bankruptcy filing.
    Noted.....20 more 5 liter packs of Xtol in my B&H basket.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    So, if maybe someone could distill this down, what exactly is Kodak selling? The still camera films and color paper? Does this include the coating facilities? If it doesn't, what is another company going to do with the recipes for PORTRA, TRI-X and EKTAR, just to name a few flagship products? We've already heard, and some of us experienced first hand, the difficulties inherent in making the same emulsion twice, let alone in another plant. Obviously it can be done, but .... really?

Is this supposed to be another distributorship deal?
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    So, if maybe someone could distill this down, what exactly is Kodak selling?
    I think the answer is that at this point, only upper Kodak management knows what this REALLY means. It MIGHT be just a "trial balloon" to see if there is any interest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    So, if maybe someone could distill this down, what exactly is Kodak selling? The still camera films and color paper? Does this include the coating facilities? If it doesn't, what is another company going to do with the recipes for PORTRA, TRI-X and EKTAR, just to name a few flagship products? We've already heard, and some of us experienced first hand, the difficulties inherent in making the same emulsion twice, let alone in another plant. Obviously it can be done, but .... really?

Is this supposed to be another distributorship deal?
    It can't be the coating facility unless Kodak plans to lease it back for the production of motion stock which they are commited to distrubuting through 2015. There is one big-ass automated coating facility at building 38 that does all the stock, motion, still, etc.

This aspect of the "sale" is at the very least, mystifying.?..

Maybe the motion picture industry will buy it and we will buy still film from them....?.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    It can't be the coating facility unless Kodak plans to lease it back for the production of motion stock which they are commited to distrubuting through 2015. There is one big-ass automated coating facility at building 38 that does all the stock, motion, still, etc.

This aspect of the "sale" is at the very least, mystifying.?..

Maybe the motion picture industry will buy it and we will buy still film from them....?.....
    FUJIFILM needs to step up and buy this facility. They are always going on and on about their commitment to film. Time to put actions behind those words.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think the answer is that at this point, only upper Kodak management knows what this REALLY means.
    Oh, that's comforting!

It MIGHT be just a "trial balloon" to see if there is any interest.
    Either the balloon or they have a buyer, or at least a buyer in mind that they've had discussions with and have a good idea where it's going to go.

In my experience with corporate deals, very little is done by "rolling the dice." Usually by the time the public hears about something like this it is a done deal. Too many incentive plans, bonuses and plain old money wrapped up in these deals to just hang out a "for sale" sign. Clearly, with the timing of this announcement, if the patent sale didn't do what they wanted, this was "Plan B." There's too much riding on this to just float it out there and see if it sells. Their major creditors would not stand for that. The creditors and/or the courts probably demanded they try to sell the patent portfolio first and this has been brewing in the background and kept within the 19th floor at 343 State Street.

Who is still friendly with Kodak that can do their own coating, wants to have coating done, or might want to contract Kodak's coating? (As in, throw in the towel on Building 38 and divest or shutter it. Building 38 doesn't sound like it fits with Perez's future plans.) Those answers might be very interesting.

Something here doesn't make sense.
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin