Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,244   Posts: 1,680,180   Online: 922

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14181920212223242526 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post
    Actually, Roger, Freestyle markets a Legacy Pro brand product, L110, which is a copycat of HC-110. I haven't used it so I can't attest to its worth, but:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/10190-...Make-2-Gallons
    I know about it. I use Legacy Pro brown toner because Kodak only sells it in some huge jug for $300, and I use LP rapid fix because I can get it in 5 gallons which is cheaper than the Kodak 1 gallon and not as ridiculously huge as the Kodak 25 gallon size. But people who know HC 110 say that L110 is more different from the real thing than many other LP chems. Many are the identical formula but some apparently are not.

I wasn't thinking in terms of color but there's Fuji and then Tetenal, in sizes and convenient kits more suited to most hobbyists anyway. Not identical though, granted.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Steve Jobs didn't step in at the 11th hour and bring Apple out of bankruptcy, with Apple's sales at a miscule percentage of what they once were. Jobs didn't reinvigorate Apple computer products, he expanded Apple into a market which needed improvement. Phones and music players weren't what Apple was known for, but Apple could manufacture them. Apple did not invent anything new, they simply looked at existing markets and products where an improvement would be an amazing jump.

I'm sure that there are Jobs-like people in Kodak. But there is the basic concept of "too little, too late." When the ship has already smacked into the iceberg, a company needs Superman, not a screaming and bullying CEO. Kodak needs to take the blinders off, jettison everything that doesn't turn a profit, and then rebuild. Can Kodak actually profitably compete in printers? For consumer printers, it's been no good for them, but they keep trying to stay in the market, so they keep burning cash.

Where could Kodak go where they can actually make money? As PE has said, they spun or sold off a lot of profitable divisions. So Kodak still has some chemical engineering, and coating. What can be coated? There was a mention in an article about wallpaper. How about coating smart fabrics? Would it be cool to wear a Kodak picture t-shirt? Petapixel.com had an entry about a t-shirt with display and a camera. Couldn't Kodak do better with a luminous, computing line of clothing? How about Kodak photo print decals? Slap a Kodak decal on your stuff and flash your pics.

There was a recent inovation of 100,000 DPI printing. Can Kodak get onto that? But whatever Kodak does, they are going to have to get through Chapter 11, because I doubt they'd ever get through a "Chapter 22" (repeat Chapter 11).
    Brian, you obviously know nothing about Steve Jobs, nor Apple. Nearly every one of your claims about Jobs and Apple are exceedingly wrong!
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Update, yesterday Kodak announced that the auction is on indefinite hold....

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...nclick_check=1
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Update, yesterday Kodak announced that the auction is on indefinite hold....

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...nclick_check=1

I doubt that the bankruptcy is on indefinite hold.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Could be they have a buyer for the film division and they can pull off the re-org without the patent sale?

Ok, unrealistic optimism. It's free and makes me feel better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wouldn't that be nice... but probably not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It would be nice if Kodak could do what Ilford did and just concentrate on scaled down film production. Return to its roots, as a much smaller company. Lose all the other baggage. But I don't see that happening.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Skip;

Kodak has done that already!!!!!!!!!!!

We have discussed that ad nauseum on APUG.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE,

Sorry, but I apparently missed it. Or it could be that it is not what I'm talking about. If Kodak had done what I am referring to, it would have kept core businesses related to its strengths in analog photography, including the chemical and health care businesses. And now Kodak wants to sell off the personal imaging division? Why? So it can waste more money on technology it largely pioneered, but can't seem to capitalize on in the market? How will that help Kodak photographic film from going the way of the Dodo bird? I don't care about Kodak-branded batteries, Christmas tree lights, consumer ink jet printers, commercial printers and book publishing presses, or digital sensors, digital cameras, or digital print services. I care about Ektar, Portra, Tri-X, Plus-X, Double XX, E100 films, 64T, TP, HIE, EIR, and Kodachrome, not to mention cine films, especially the reversal films. Look how many of Kodak's great films are gone!

I have not made a study of Kodak, but from what I've read in this forum and elsewhere, Kodak has continued to make and sell film products, supporting the bottom line at a continually decreasing rate, while at the same time it squandered capital on ill-conceived, or at least poorly executed, ventures. While it treated film like a cash cow, it also stopped marketing film to the public generally, and did little to promote it against the onslaught of digital imaging.

I'm talking about turning Kodak into a much smaller company focused on its roots, analog photography (ok, maybe inkjet paper and inks too, if they'll do it right). I'm not talking about sitting on its laurels and coasting on past greatness, but actively pursuing what market remains, and working to expand it. The recent introduction of the 2332 Color Asset Protection film was a good move.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipA View Post
    I'm talking about turning Kodak into a much smaller company focused on its roots, analog photography (ok, maybe inkjet paper and inks too, if they'll do it right).
    This business model works for Ilford.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin