Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,045   Online: 897

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14181920212223242526 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Roger - one thing that keeps me loyal to the Kodak chemistry brand is the very consistent qualtity.
    I prefer their RA4 chemistry to the various do-it-yourself kits (though Fuji/Hunt may be equally good,
    and I haven't tried any Arista private label product yet). HC-110 is fairly complicated to replicate,
    though this too has been allegedly done. But why bother? Hopefully, this will be true of film as well.
    Someone else will own the business and run it with the attention it deserves, but otherwise, the
    quality will be kept intact. But I do agree that manufacturing buyouts are a roll of the dice - more
    often than not the purchasers are idiots with a bunch of MBA consultants whose only real world experience is behind a Starbucks counter. But I do know a number of positive stories too, where a
    bankrupt company or division came out much better in the long run.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    I do know a number of positive stories too, where a
    bankrupt company or division came out much better in the long run.
    Like say...Ilford!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    You can readily get other brands of "Xtol in all but name" anyway.

There's almost nothing sold under the Kodak brand of chemicals any more that isn't available virtually the same elsewhere. The only exception I can think of is HC110.
    Yeah, just as easy to order Xtol now and not have to think about it for awhile. I now have a total of 30 x 5L packs, should be good for quite some time.
    Last edited by PKM-25; 08-24-2012 at 01:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post
    Actually, Roger, Freestyle markets a Legacy Pro brand product, L110, which is a copycat of HC-110. I haven't used it so I can't attest to its worth, but:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/10190-...Make-2-Gallons
    I know about it. I use Legacy Pro brown toner because Kodak only sells it in some huge jug for $300, and I use LP rapid fix because I can get it in 5 gallons which is cheaper than the Kodak 1 gallon and not as ridiculously huge as the Kodak 25 gallon size. But people who know HC 110 say that L110 is more different from the real thing than many other LP chems. Many are the identical formula but some apparently are not.

I wasn't thinking in terms of color but there's Fuji and then Tetenal, in sizes and convenient kits more suited to most hobbyists anyway. Not identical though, granted.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Steve Jobs didn't step in at the 11th hour and bring Apple out of bankruptcy, with Apple's sales at a miscule percentage of what they once were. Jobs didn't reinvigorate Apple computer products, he expanded Apple into a market which needed improvement. Phones and music players weren't what Apple was known for, but Apple could manufacture them. Apple did not invent anything new, they simply looked at existing markets and products where an improvement would be an amazing jump.

I'm sure that there are Jobs-like people in Kodak. But there is the basic concept of "too little, too late." When the ship has already smacked into the iceberg, a company needs Superman, not a screaming and bullying CEO. Kodak needs to take the blinders off, jettison everything that doesn't turn a profit, and then rebuild. Can Kodak actually profitably compete in printers? For consumer printers, it's been no good for them, but they keep trying to stay in the market, so they keep burning cash.

Where could Kodak go where they can actually make money? As PE has said, they spun or sold off a lot of profitable divisions. So Kodak still has some chemical engineering, and coating. What can be coated? There was a mention in an article about wallpaper. How about coating smart fabrics? Would it be cool to wear a Kodak picture t-shirt? Petapixel.com had an entry about a t-shirt with display and a camera. Couldn't Kodak do better with a luminous, computing line of clothing? How about Kodak photo print decals? Slap a Kodak decal on your stuff and flash your pics.

There was a recent inovation of 100,000 DPI printing. Can Kodak get onto that? But whatever Kodak does, they are going to have to get through Chapter 11, because I doubt they'd ever get through a "Chapter 22" (repeat Chapter 11).
    Brian, you obviously know nothing about Steve Jobs, nor Apple. Nearly every one of your claims about Jobs and Apple are exceedingly wrong!
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Update, yesterday Kodak announced that the auction is on indefinite hold....

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...nclick_check=1
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Update, yesterday Kodak announced that the auction is on indefinite hold....

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...nclick_check=1

I doubt that the bankruptcy is on indefinite hold.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Could be they have a buyer for the film division and they can pull off the re-org without the patent sale?

Ok, unrealistic optimism. It's free and makes me feel better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wouldn't that be nice... but probably not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It would be nice if Kodak could do what Ilford did and just concentrate on scaled down film production. Return to its roots, as a much smaller company. Lose all the other baggage. But I don't see that happening.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin