Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,759   Posts: 1,484,014   Online: 1201

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Such a shame. I am more grateful than ever now for Ilford.
    I came to that same conclusion years ago after listening carefully to what Kodak's upper management and board of directors were saying publicly about where they were taking the company. The end result was therefore no surprise. At least to me. I'm largely over the trauma now, having reached that fifth grief-coping stage of final reconciliation and acceptance.

I have compared the Kodak fiasco as similar to standing next to the railroad tracks, trying to convince someone standing on them to step off because a train is coming. The closer the train comes, the more anguished the plea. But no matter what's said, the person can't be convinced that anything is wrong, and won't budge. Eventually you might get them to turn around and look. But when they respond, "Oh that. No worries. That's not a train," all you can do is shake your head, turn around, and walk away. No need to look back. You already know what's going to happen. Everybody not standing on the tracks knows it...

Now when this subject comes up I usually just sigh and continue walking away. Last weekend I was out with my new Fuji GF670 loaded with Ilford film. Hung out at a local public fishing pier all afternoon. Everyone knew what I was doing, but no one cared. It was very relaxing.

But it is a shame.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    I think Ilford should buy it. Then they'd have color neg and b&w film.
    No way. That would put Ilford in way too much risk. We'd risk losing everything if Ilford had the Kodak boat anchor attached to them. It's a nice fantasy, but let's keep it real.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Though I'd hate to lose Tri-X I can live very well without Kodak in black and white. The real loss would be color negative as Fuji just doesn't have anything as good as Portra and Ektar. Sigh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    According to the news here, we should have more information by the 13th. That is when the auction results will be made public..

PE
    Is that a Friday?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Monday!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Though I'd hate to lose Tri-X I can live very well without Kodak in black and white. The real loss would be color negative as Fuji just doesn't have anything as good as Portra and Ektar. Sigh.
    I'm playing with Reala right now (in 120) and am finding it quite good. I guess that is no longer available in 135.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Reala I have not tried, so I'll have to reserve judgement on that. But it's not available in 35m OR sheets, at least not in the US (with the usual possible exceptions of directly importing it, if it's available elsewhere.)

Fuji COULD, and their 160 was pretty good. It just seems Fuji ceded negative film to Kodak and Kodak ceded positive film to Fuji. That might change if Kodak goes away, granted.
    Last edited by Roger Cole; 08-09-2012 at 08:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well lets not start crying in our milk quite yet, folks. It ain't over yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What's for sale? I thought it was Kodak digital patents, some 1100 of them. That's what the article linked in the OP and a couple of subsequent posters have said.

Suppose someone buys them and Kodak doesn't have to file chapter 8, what of the film and paper division? Is there any reason to think that Kodak will continue to produce and market film and paper? It doesn't seem like there's enough money there to keep Kodak going.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipA View Post
    What's for sale? I thought it was Kodak digital patents, some 1100 of them. That's what the article linked in the OP and a couple of subsequent posters have said.

Suppose someone buys them and Kodak doesn't have to file chapter 8, what of the film and paper division? Is there any reason to think that Kodak will continue to produce and market film and paper? It doesn't seem like there's enough money there to keep Kodak going.
    When was the last time Kodak turned a profit? It has been many, many years hasn't it? That tells us something.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin