Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,244   Posts: 1,660,159   Online: 695

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    With esprit de corps so rock solid at Kodak, what explains Scott Disabato bailing for Canson? Just coincidence, right?
    I'm sure they are stressed, but hopeful. I think we all know what the chances are of a film division survival or even a purchase / spin off. Maybe Scott moving on says a lot, I don't know. For example, one of my main clients is a ski area. Last year, a new young marketing manager moved in and shook things up a bit. Several photogs did not get contracts renewed and key people under him that I had been dealing with for over ten years all left. So I thought the whole shebang was hosed.

But now they have new blood, younger more forward thinking, energetic folks...and I have to say much to my surprise, it is far better than it has ever been, my work has doubled and we have a blast. So I am not saying that Scott and company were a tired affair, but maybe that with what Kodak's film group has planned in a best case scenario, the fit was no longer right, especially considering what his salary looked like after 20 years.

I have a hunch what the future might hold, but I would rather not go into it, so I keep buying and using the products along with Ilford and hope for the best, make enough investments on my end to add some security to the whole thing.

I understand the speculation, especially as we get closer and closer to what will be Kodak's do or die dates. But when it gets to be a dissection party or witch hunt, sometimes I just want to scream.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I'm sure they are stressed, but hopeful. I think we all know what the chances are of a film division survival or even a purchase / spin off. Maybe Scott moving on says a lot, I don't know. For example, one of my main clients is a ski area. Last year, a new young marketing manager moved in and shook things up a bit. Several photogs did not get contracts renewed and key people under him that I had been dealing with for over ten years all left. So I thought the whole shebang was hosed.

But now they have new blood, younger more forward thinking, energetic folks...and I have to say much to my surprise, it is far better than it has ever been, my work has doubled and we have a blast. So I am not saying that Scott and company were a tired affair, but maybe that with what Kodak's film group has planned in a best case scenario, the fit was no longer right, especially considering what his salary looked like after 20 years.

I have a hunch what the future might hold, but I would rather not go into it, so I keep buying and using the products along with Ilford and hope for the best, make enough investments on my end to add some security to the whole thing.

I understand the speculation, especially as we get closer and closer to what will be Kodak's do or die dates. But when it gets to be a dissection party or witch hunt, sometimes I just want to scream.
    People are just reacting to published Kodak-related news items. Personally, I can't see the point of trading in hearsay, undisclosed sources, or info from unverifiable insider leaks/contacts. Don't like the news? Sorry!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They threw away the market ... marketing and supply chain issues were just handing business to Fuji.
    ... and that is EXACTLY the stories my friend tells (except instead of Canada he speaks of Hollywood)!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Brian;

I know about bad decisions. ... After all, I AM a Kodak retiree...
    Yes, I know that. I was poking at your use of present tense.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well Brian, they made a lot of bad decisions, but they are still making them right up to today! Past, present and probably into the future unless someone makes a big turnaround.

Fuji is making a good profit from selling cut sheet CA color paper, but Kodak discontinued cut sheet Endura. Kodak requires a dealer to order a minimum case quantity of certain items which have come in larger and larger sizes and case size thus making it hard for the smaller dealer to stock or order.

EK has reduced the local sales "zones" and shuffled them such that if I buy some film here in Rochester, it comes from the Atlanta sales zone. There used to be a Rochester sales zone which was quite logical. They have muddled the zones in Hollywood in the same way.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    People are just reacting to published Kodak-related news items. Personally, I can't see the point of trading in hearsay, undisclosed sources, or info from unverifiable insider leaks/contacts. Don't like the news? Sorry!
    Rare agreement here...

PKM-25 (Dan), could it be that your frustration with other's frustrations results from the fact that you DO have current contacts at Kodak—presumably cultivated via your Kodachrome Project—that are saying things to you off the record, and we DON'T? And that if the rest of us were in a position to hear what you've heard, we might see the situation more like you do? You drop tasty hints. But you're obviously not in an unconstrained position to follow them up with hard information. Or even hard speculation.

CGW is right. All the rest of us know is only what's published in the media, driven primarily from a Wall Street risk/reward perspective. And that's as skewed a perspective post-bankrupcy as it was pre-bankruptcy. At least as far as Kodak film's continued manufacturing is concerned. Wall Street is severely unconcerned with our desires for continued availability of Kodak film.

Everyone will always fill in the unknown with worst-case scenarios. Probably originates with the human survival instinct, I suspect.

Ken
    "When making a portrait, my approach is quite the same as when I am portraying a rock. I do not wish to impose my personality upon the sitter, but, keeping myself open to receive reactions from his own special ego, record this with nothing added: except of course when I am working professionally, when money enters in,—then for a price, I become a liar..."

— Edward Weston, Daybooks, Vol. II, February 2, 1932

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Everyone will always fill in the unknown with worst-case scenarios. Probably originates with the human survival instinct, I suspect.
    I relate the gap-filling-in more to the human GOSSIP instinct.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... or the human "know-it-all" instict. ha ha ha.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    PKM-25 (Dan), could it be that your frustration with other's frustrations results from the fact that you DO have current contacts at Kodak—presumably cultivated via your Kodachrome Project—that are saying things to you off the record, and we DON'T? And that if the rest of us were in a position to hear what you've heard, we might see the situation more like you do? You drop tasty hints. But you're obviously not in an unconstrained position to follow them up with hard information. Or even hard speculation.
    Nope, I only know to a small degree what efforts are being planned in terms of marketing, the most important thing I know is that they are re-vamping the site and that since all marketing budgets were logically slashed in the face of reorganization they are relying heavily on word of mouth, social and people like us to use the stuff and keep the faith. I just see how many posts these topics get compared to others and it is a kind of a downer. For example, there is a guy who posted does film have a future not long ago and it is already well on the way to three pages long..

It's like people talking incessantly about guitars and rarely do we hear a note, kind of sad...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I'm sure they are stressed, but hopeful. I think we all know what the chances are of a film division survival or even a purchase / spin off.
    We do??

I think we DON'T. And maybe that's what you meant.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin