Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,213   Online: 873

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Brian;

I know about bad decisions. ... After all, I AM a Kodak retiree...
    Yes, I know that. I was poking at your use of present tense.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well Brian, they made a lot of bad decisions, but they are still making them right up to today! Past, present and probably into the future unless someone makes a big turnaround.

Fuji is making a good profit from selling cut sheet CA color paper, but Kodak discontinued cut sheet Endura. Kodak requires a dealer to order a minimum case quantity of certain items which have come in larger and larger sizes and case size thus making it hard for the smaller dealer to stock or order.

EK has reduced the local sales "zones" and shuffled them such that if I buy some film here in Rochester, it comes from the Atlanta sales zone. There used to be a Rochester sales zone which was quite logical. They have muddled the zones in Hollywood in the same way.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    People are just reacting to published Kodak-related news items. Personally, I can't see the point of trading in hearsay, undisclosed sources, or info from unverifiable insider leaks/contacts. Don't like the news? Sorry!
    Rare agreement here...

PKM-25 (Dan), could it be that your frustration with other's frustrations results from the fact that you DO have current contacts at Kodak—presumably cultivated via your Kodachrome Project—that are saying things to you off the record, and we DON'T? And that if the rest of us were in a position to hear what you've heard, we might see the situation more like you do? You drop tasty hints. But you're obviously not in an unconstrained position to follow them up with hard information. Or even hard speculation.

CGW is right. All the rest of us know is only what's published in the media, driven primarily from a Wall Street risk/reward perspective. And that's as skewed a perspective post-bankrupcy as it was pre-bankruptcy. At least as far as Kodak film's continued manufacturing is concerned. Wall Street is severely unconcerned with our desires for continued availability of Kodak film.

Everyone will always fill in the unknown with worst-case scenarios. Probably originates with the human survival instinct, I suspect.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Everyone will always fill in the unknown with worst-case scenarios. Probably originates with the human survival instinct, I suspect.
    I relate the gap-filling-in more to the human GOSSIP instinct.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... or the human "know-it-all" instict. ha ha ha.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    PKM-25 (Dan), could it be that your frustration with other's frustrations results from the fact that you DO have current contacts at Kodak—presumably cultivated via your Kodachrome Project—that are saying things to you off the record, and we DON'T? And that if the rest of us were in a position to hear what you've heard, we might see the situation more like you do? You drop tasty hints. But you're obviously not in an unconstrained position to follow them up with hard information. Or even hard speculation.
    Nope, I only know to a small degree what efforts are being planned in terms of marketing, the most important thing I know is that they are re-vamping the site and that since all marketing budgets were logically slashed in the face of reorganization they are relying heavily on word of mouth, social and people like us to use the stuff and keep the faith. I just see how many posts these topics get compared to others and it is a kind of a downer. For example, there is a guy who posted does film have a future not long ago and it is already well on the way to three pages long..

It's like people talking incessantly about guitars and rarely do we hear a note, kind of sad...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Nope, I only know to a small degree what efforts are being planned in terms of marketing, the most important thing I know is that they are re-vamping the site and that since all marketing budgets were logically slashed in the face of reorganization they are relying heavily on word of mouth, social and people like us to use the stuff and keep the faith. I just see how many posts these topics get compared to others and it is a kind of a downer. For example, there is a guy who posted does film have a future not long ago and it is already well on the way to three pages long..

It's like people talking incessantly about guitars and rarely do we hear a note, kind of sad...
    People discuss what is on their mind at forums. This happens all across various topics. With regards to film, topics like this appear at other places besides apug.org. Why? Because the state of film today and its potential future inspire such questions. People want to talk about it. Where? At forums. This is a natural process and it appears that this bothers you a lot. Perhaps not reading here would be of help to you, or more positively, start discussions about what YOU want to talk about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm sure they are stressed, but hopeful. I think we all know what the chances are of a film division survival or even a purchase / spin off.
    We do??

I think we DON'T. And maybe that's what you meant.

Shooter
    Multi Format

OTOH, I'm going to spend a fair amount of time in the darkroom this weekend. I have so much backlog I need to do that much more than shoot more. There's a healthy mix of Kodak (TMY-2 in 4x5, Tri-X and TMZ in 35mm, Tri-X in 120) Ilford (Pan F+, FP4 and Delta 3200 in 120) and even some Foma (Fomapan 400 4x5) that I need to develop, and prints to make from already developed FP4+, Pan F+ and TMZ negatives. I have here on my desk three rolls of 120/220 C41 to go into the mail, two Portra 400 and an obviously outdated but frozen until used 220 roll of Agfa Optima II 400, plus three rolls of E6, an E200, an Elitechrome 100 (and I will miss them, still have some of both in the freezer) and a Fujichrome 400 (great film.)

Of that, all but the Optima, which isn't as good as the Portra 400 anyway, and the Kodak E6 are available new. I'll print the black and white on superb papers, Ilford MGWT FB and Adox MCC 110. Photo life is good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, tomorrow (Saturday) I'm off with my GF670 folder to hang out down at the wharf district in Seattle for the entire day. The weather forecast looks good—a minor miracle in Western Washington, even in August—and I don't want to waste it. Always lots of interesting stuff there for an ongoing small project of mine. And a fine chance to continue getting used to a fine new camera.

Then Sunday morning I'll set my alarm for 4:30am in order to be set up onsite at a pre-scouted location to catch the early morning sunrise on a newly restored bit of wonderful Americana subject matter. This will involve my fully restored 8x10 Calumet C1 and a pair of G-Clarons. Given the rarity of this format out in the wild, it will also likely involve yet another impromptu film and camera seminar with the curious who are always attracted. Always a good opportunity to educate people about the ancient ways of photography.

And I always keep a stepstool in the truck just for the kids who always want to look under the darkcloth to see for themselves just what the mystery is all about. ("That's the biggest LCD I've ever seen! But it's upside down!!")

So although it's not my vocation, it is my avocation. And you're not the only one out there practicing it.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin