Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,270   Posts: 1,660,692   Online: 1074

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I am very new here and dont know about either your book or DVD. Please inform me. Is there a web site that has all the details?
    Just follow the banner ads here on APUG.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I am very new here and dont know about either your book or DVD. Please inform me. Is there a web site that has all the details?
    "Photographic Emulsion Making, Coating and Testing" Book & DVDs By Ron Mowrey

Ken
    "When making a portrait, my approach is quite the same as when I am portraying a rock. I do not wish to impose my personality upon the sitter, but, keeping myself open to receive reactions from his own special ego, record this with nothing added: except of course when I am working professionally, when money enters in,—then for a price, I become a liar..."

— Edward Weston, Daybooks, Vol. II, February 2, 1932

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Ken. I was trying to be generic so that those in Europe would see the items at Fotoimpex.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    ...I think we all know what the chances are of a film division survival or even a purchase / spin off...
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    We do??...
    Yes, we do. About the same probability as winning a Mega Millions jackpot.

The absolute futility of these discussions is amazing. If you love Kodak film, load up your freezer with it. If it's color, buy a Jobo, since commercial color processing will not likely last much longer than Kodak.

If you love black and white film (but not a particular Kodak emulsion), buy it -- as well as your paper -- from Ilford. Among first-tier quality manufacturers, Ilford will be producing for the longest time. If Ilford's site lease isn't renewed when it expires in another (approximately) fourteen years and/or its owners' children aren't interested in taking over the business when their parents reach retirement age, make sure you've loaded up your freezer with Ilford's products too.

Otherwise, either start coating your own or move on to electronic imaging. It's really as simple as that. No gnashing of teeth (or the forum posting equivalent) will change things. APUG's membership number multiplied by ten couldn't affect the market sufficiently to alter these realities.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Thanks Ken. I was trying to be generic so that those in Europe would see the items at Fotoimpex.
    No such thing as too much word-of-mouth. The full set is on my Christmas list as well...

Ken
    "When making a portrait, my approach is quite the same as when I am portraying a rock. I do not wish to impose my personality upon the sitter, but, keeping myself open to receive reactions from his own special ego, record this with nothing added: except of course when I am working professionally, when money enters in,—then for a price, I become a liar..."

— Edward Weston, Daybooks, Vol. II, February 2, 1932

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Utter nonsense Sal. We do NOT know - and neither do you.

And as much as I love Ilford, and as much as I agree that they make great black and white products worthy of our support, they are not the ONLY game in town. Black and white is easy enough to make that someone would step in. Foma is doing fairly well and Adox is coating great paper and will no doubt get film figured out, or would if we didn't have so many other options for black and white.

I'd give up imaging as a hobby if we only had digital. This isn't bashing, I simply don't particularly enjoy it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Utter nonsense Sal. We do NOT know...
    Dan and I and everyone else who's observed the corporate world "know" in the same probabilistic sense that we "know" we're not going to win a Mega Millions jackpot. All the business factors almost certainly preclude Kodak's film division, as circumstances have shaped it to be, surviving or being sold / spun off. Nothing to do with the products, people that actually make them or superiority of chemical imaging. Reality simply sucks, but it's real.

...I'd give up imaging as a hobby if we only had digital...I simply don't particularly enjoy it.
    That sums up my attitude perfectly. However, I don't let the sentiment blind me to reality. Kodak management made many decisions over the course of decades that rendered yellow-box film's demise virtually unavoidable.

I become frustrated reading multiple threads/posts by people who emotionally refuse to see that reality. It's an utter waste of bandwidth and time that could be better used photographing. I've filled my closet and freezer with "doomsday" supplies of Azo and 5x7 320TXP respectively, against the possibility that I'll outlive Ilford. In the meantime, I'm happily shooting Ilford film and printing the resulting negatives on Ilford paper. My suggestion to anyone concerned about the future: stop "talking" about it and do something similar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Who's Dan? If you mean the poster I was replying to, his post is doubly puzzling in that case because the rest of the post sounded optimistic. That's why I was so confused about it - he sounded like he was saying "of course this won't happen" yet in the same post also saying Kodak film would survive.

Maybe he's saying the overall company will survive and film will continue to be part of it. I don't know - I couldn't puzzle it out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Who's Dan?...
    Dan is Dan Bayer, who posts here as PKM-25. If you click on the Kodachrome Project link in his signature block, you'll be taken to some of his work. Note the copyright notice at the Kodachrome Project pages' bottom.

...If you mean the poster I was replying to, his post is doubly puzzling in that case because the rest of the post sounded optimistic. That's why I was so confused about it...
    Dan is apparently just as weary of the wasteful, negative Kodak speculation in forum threads/posts as I am. His approach, despite a realistic appreciation of how unlikely it is that Kodak's film division will survive, seems to be an attempt to engender positive results by promoting Kodak products. While wishing him all success in that endeavor (after all, someone does occasionally beat the odds and win a Mega Millions jackpot), I don't hold out much hope. It just seems more productive to take a probabilistic approach and support Ilford.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Ken!

As for Kodak's film division surviving, EK has spun off several divisions which are doing well on their own. Management is set up to allow this transition to take place quite easily. In fact, the most recent reorganization described here on APUG will improve the ease of such a transition. In fact, such a transition may have been anticipated.

There are so many rumors here in Rochester that are possible or impossible I never bother to post any, but some of them are quite plausible. Lets just say that film is not done until it is really done! The same is true for EK!

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin