Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,405   Online: 1006

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Outstanding Ken! Outstanding!

Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Well Brian, they made a lot of bad decisions, but they are still making them right up to today! Past, present and probably into the future unless someone makes a big turnaround.

Fuji is making a good profit from selling cut sheet CA color paper, but Kodak discontinued cut sheet Endura. Kodak requires a dealer to order a minimum case quantity of certain items which have come in larger and larger sizes and case size thus making it hard for the smaller dealer to stock or order.

EK has reduced the local sales "zones" and shuffled them such that if I buy some film here in Rochester, it comes from the Atlanta sales zone. There used to be a Rochester sales zone which was quite logical. They have muddled the zones in Hollywood in the same way.

PE
    Hey PE, at Kodak's peak, how many film plants did they have running? Do you know that kind of information? I am just curious as the plants seem to have had enormous capacity. It is impossible for me to guess how many plants they had that produced film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak had plants in:

Australia - coated just about everything.
    Canada - B&W paper and some films
    Brazil - B&W paper
    China - Joint production of color films
    England (Harrow) - Just about everything.
    France (Chalon) - Just about everything
    US - Colorado - Medical products (Films) and color paper in wide widths.
    - Rochester - Everything 6 color paper machines (4 in operation at any one time), B&W paper coaters, pilot coaters, 21" film machnes and two or three full width film machines. Research had about 10 coaters, the widest were 10".

Now there are only 2:

Rochester - Film
    Harrow - Color paper

And by contract when needed - wide color paper on demand at Colorado.

See fit to add or subtract, as my memory is not what it used to be.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Knowing the number of plants would be interesting, but I'd also like to know production rates and major customers, and the demand of those major customers. Us still photographers are likely to have always been minority consumers... considering Kodaks customers in motion picture industry, US government, other governments, etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brian;

When I was one of the people leading the film work at Cape Canaveral in 1961 -1962, we used $50 M in all film and paper products and had them delivered by refrigerated freight car! When I joined EK in 1965, they were making 500M sq ft of color paper / year at about $1 / square foot retail. That dropped to about $0.50 / square foot as production improved, mainly by means of higher speeds and the slide coater. The curtain coater tripled that speed. This is just a tiny look into very secret figures that go far beyond this.

Just as a side note, in 2005 Kodak expected about a 30% drop in sales for the whole year, but it dropped 30% in one quarter. Kodak shut down the paper plant, Agfa failed and Ilford ran into problems. So, this is endemic to the whole business.

PE
    Last edited by Photo Engineer; 08-10-2012 at 09:18 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... I could only guess about some of the other "secrets"... but know better than to guess out loud or ask!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Brian;

When I was on of the people leading the film work at Cape Canaveral in 1961 -1962, we used $50 M in all film and paper products and had them delivered by refrigerated freight car! When I joined EK in 1065, they were making 500M sq ft of color paper / year at about $1 / square foot retail. That dropped to about $0.50 / square foot as production improved, mainly by means of higher speeds and the slide coater. The curtain coater tripled that speed. This is just a tiny look into very secret figures that go far beyond this.

Just as a side note, in 2005 Kodak expected about a 30% drop in sales for the whole year, but it dropped 30% in one quarter. Kodak shut down the paper plant, Agfa failed and Ilford ran into problems. So, this is endemic to the whole business.

PE
    Wow! Did you get some photographs of the Norman invasion the next year?

(J/K, I know that was a typo and most likely supposed to be 1965.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Roger, I fixed that. But Harry too a quarrel in the eye the next year didn't he? What a bummer!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks PE! You sure have a lot of history to share. I appreciate your time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So pay me. I'm retired!

Actually, buy my book and DVD.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin