Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,785   Online: 778

Page 1 of 26 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak Concedes Difficulty in Drawing Lead Bidder for Patents

Kodak Concedes Difficulty in Drawing Lead Bidder for Patents at http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/06/...r-for-patents/ doesn't sound good, but I certainly hope it works out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The question has to be what Patents do Kodak hold that competitors want to buy. First they are going to see how they can get around them, and then if they can't will weigh up whether a company in Bankruptcy (OK Chapter 9) could afford to take them to court anyway.

I'm quite sure that Kodak could either licence or sell off Patented technology but at the moment it looks like a fire sale and Patents are not tangible assets.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    and didn't they just lose a court case against apple ( and another ) involving patent infringement ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    The question has to be what Patents do Kodak hold that competitors want to buy. First they are going to see how they can get around them, and then if they can't will weigh up whether a company in Bankruptcy (OK Chapter 9) could afford to take them to court anyway.

I'm quite sure that Kodak could either licence or sell off Patented technology but at the moment it looks like a fire sale and Patents are not tangible assets.

Ian
    I don't see this situation helping film one way or the other. I think we all are clouded in our vision in that there is tremendous hope and desire to see Kodak stabilized and keep film going. Certainly an admirable hope, that is for sure. However, the reality I suspect is different. I see Kodak doing nothing more than everything it can to extract cash out of the decaying corporation as it heads towards final oblivion. Unless I am wrong, there is no plan for the future, no plan for growth, just systemic cashing out across the board, returning to share holders as much money as they can before the company is completely worthless.

I have been part of a corporate take over. My company was bought out by a competitor. Me and my colleagues all rationalized an infinite number of scenarios where we would keep out jobs. All of these situations made great sense and it was a "no brainer" that we would survive. The buying company had an awful building, ours was brand new. The buying company had no space for growth at their facilities, ours was loaded with extra space, etc. For nearly a year we lived with these rose colored glasses and then it was announced our facility was closing, with virtually everyone losing their jobs. The buying corporation never had any intention at all to move. They just bought us and shut us down. Took our customer list, and left.

Not the exact same situation as Kodak's bankruptcy, but there are some similarities regarding corporate behavior.

I just dont see any planning Kodak has for a future. Selling off their CCD division was proof positive to me that they have no intention remaining a relevant player i the digital world. Printers? Yeah, Kodak is going to survive going up against HP, Canon, and Epson. I dont think so.

Someone has to buy the film division and fast. That is the only hope for Kodak's film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dumb moves by Kodak, chasing after patent infringement is not a way to increase earnings or to fix their bottom line. I wonder how much they are spending on lawyers which they could be throwing into R&D to actually make something that adds value to the company.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Dumb moves by Kodak, chasing after patent infringement is not a way to increase earnings or to fix their bottom line. I wonder how much they are spending on lawyers which they could be throwing into R&D to actually make something that adds value to the company.
    It's not a dumb move if your goal is to extract as much cash out of a dying company as quickly as possible. As I wrote above in a different post, the goals of Kodak might be clear for us to see if not colored by the tremendous hope that they survive as a film company.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    i believe they won decisions in similar patent infringement cases in the last few years
    so they thought it was going to be another sure thing, and it would bolster their portfolio ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now everyone that wants a piece is just a vulture sitting by the wayside or circling. They can wait and drag these things out, litigation always takes forever. Kodak on the other hand cannot, and will more likely run out of liquid assets or not get another loan guarantee to fund these expensive patent infringement cases.

Also who will ultimately hold these patents if the do collapse even after attempted restructuring? That's another question that other companies may be asking aswell. How low in price will Kodak go if no one is interested in the current price. It may get up to a point where these companies they are suing may find it cheaper just to buy the rights than prolong the fight in the courtroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is there any timeline for Kodak to exit bankruptcy or is that to be determined?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    ^ Thought the timeline was 1 year, so maybe that puts it early 2013.

Another ruling today, the judge didn't dismiss Apple's claim that they own 10 of the 1000 patents, so it looks like all 1000 patents will be auctioned, just 10 of them Apple is going to go after when the new buyer takes over these 10 disputed ones. Ultimately that baggage lessens the price of the portfolio since 10 of the patents will land the new owner in court upon the closing it sounds...
    http://www.nasdaq.com/article/judge-...20120613-01165
    Andy

Page 1 of 26 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin