Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,431   Online: 818

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    From the second picture down in this article: http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...e-russell.html

It seems to me that journalist Chris Wain is doing something much more important than taking 'iconic' photographs.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    These guys put their life on the line to get pictures and who can say he missed an iconic moment as even two photographers in the same place with loaded cameras would produce very different pictures. What one guy missed while he reloaded, he may make up for later. However, a Leica is definitely not the sort of camera you can reload while running across a battlefield.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's always just blown my mind -- while I'm fiddling with loading my M4 -- how Robert Capa could have loaded his Leica (I'm assumiing) while landing on the beach on D-Day: http://www.skylighters.org/photos/robertcapa.html
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For those guys, dependability in poor conditions is what really counts, and for David Burnett and Nick Ut, Nikons and Leicas delivered the goods. In my quick google search there is a photo of Nick Ut with a Nikon F and a Leica around his neck.
    I've not used a Leica, but Nikon F's aren't necessarily all that easy to load either, especially if you happen to be running down a dirt road, with the camera in one hand, the back in the other hand, and the film in your third hand.
    It's all in the timing, and anticipation of the next shot, sometimes things work out, and other times they don't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jglass View Post
    It's always just blown my mind -- while I'm fiddling with loading my M4 -- how Robert Capa could have loaded his Leica (I'm assumiing) while landing on the beach on D-Day: http://www.skylighters.org/photos/robertcapa.html
    Although he also used Leica cameras sometimes, Capa used Zeiss Contax 11 cameras on D Day.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 06-20-2012 at 04:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I kinda get tired of this 'fiddly Leica' film loading thing... Anyone can load an M3 quickly once they've given a go a few times. The other M's are quicker still. It's frankly a myth perpetuated by people who haven't used one.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mesh View Post
    I kinda get tired of this 'fiddly Leica' film loading thing... Anyone can load an M3 quickly once they've given a go a few times. The other M's are quicker still. It's frankly a myth perpetuated by people who haven't used one.
    The OP was referring to a LTM camera, not an M, at least the illustration would suggest it in the original article. And don't try to suggest that an original II/III is not fiddly - not only do you have to thread the film into the take-up spool, but you have to specially trim the leader to boot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    The OP was referring to a LTM camera, not an M, at least the illustration would suggest it in the original article. And don't try to suggest that an original II/III is not fiddly - not only do you have to thread the film into the take-up spool, but you have to specially trim the leader to boot.
    Until the 60s (I think), all 35mm film had long leaders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    From the second picture down in this article: http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...e-russell.html

It seems to me that journalist Chris Wain is doing something much more important than taking 'iconic' photographs.

Steve.
    ^This. This was the human thing to do.

Shooter
    35mm
    Although he also used Leica cameras sometimes, Capa used Zeiss Contax 11 cameras on D Day.
    Right!
    Capa was a Contax user.
    He only used the Leica at his beginnings, his photographs from the spanish civil war were taken with a Leica (the "dying soldier" for example). After that he got himself a Contax (more expensive than a Leica at that time) and gave his Leica equipment to Gerda Taro. He continued using the Contax II and later the Nikon S series, and the Rolleiflex (which he hated). On D-day he used a Contax, as he wrote in his autobiography ("Slightly out of focus"). The day he died in Indochina (1954) he was carrying a Nikon (color) and a Contax (B&W).
    Marcelo

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin