Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,692   Posts: 1,548,952   Online: 786

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak Rochester employment

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Is the total number of Kodak employees laid off since the start of the digital revolution several times larger that the number of remaining Kodak employees?
    Based on the work I was involved in, I consider the start of 'the digital revolution' at Kodak to be 1990; at that point Kodak Rochester employment was about 42,000. It is presently about 6,000.

http://www.krlretirees.com/files/Kod..._Rochester.pdf

Shooter
    35mm
    I do what I can to encourage film use. My son loves projecting slides. In that respect he's like me. Sadly, Kodak no longer makes transparency film. So he and I are Fuji shooters. Back in the day, if it wasn't Kodak, I didn't look twice at it.

My daughter took a few pictures with my son's camera and liked it, so I think I will get her a film SLR for her birthday. She likes both B&W and color, but doesn't want to shoot slides, so I'll be picking up some print film for her. Probably T-Max, and some Kodak color negative. So she will be the Kodak shooter more than likely.

Earlier I said I didn't shoot any Kodak. That's not entirely true. The occasional roll of B&W is Kodak, and I do shoot digital on a Kodak P&S. The cameras just seem to behave more predictably than other brands of digital P&Ses (the exception being the one Pentax digisnapper I had - that was a sweet camera for a P&S).
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    @Pioneer,
    I know what you mean about rationing the film and it being like Christmas every week. Even though we send ours out to a lab instead of processing it ourselves, we still like getting the slides back and tossing them in the projector for the very first time.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    It doesn't really matter. The divisions are only in the sales departments. The departments making actual product will not be divided up.
    I think it matters - from our point of view - because if film products had their own division it would be easier for a prospective buyer to figure out how profitable/not profitable film production is at Kodak.

Splitting film products into several divisions makes the sale - refinancing etc. of each division easier to understand for a prospective buyer/financier but not the "film and film related products" per se.

That also works in case of liquidation. If film were a separate entity and were profitable it would be easier to find a buyer in case of liquidation.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    The last eight data points fit that curve very well. Looks like around a year left until zero, at least in Rochester. Reality sucks.
    Last edited by Sal Santamaura; 07-16-2012 at 09:58 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Misread the x axis.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    The last eight data points fit that curve very well. Looks like around a year left until zero, at least in Rochester. Reality sucks.
    no way sal,
    its all cute puppies, butterfly kisses, rainbows and unicorns ...

its too bad LOMO doesn't have enough cash on hand to buy the film division
    its them and HOLGA who are the new face of film based photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    there you go !!

they should come out with a series of commemorative box cameras

"the original holga "

thanks brian you made my night

- john
    Agree, sell it in the lomo store and people would probably eat it up...for a healthy profit no doubt

Shooter
    127 Format
    Commemorative 126 Instamatic for the 50th anniversary in 2013 !!
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm

What's ahead?

Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Commemorative 126 Instamatic for the 50th anniversary in 2013 !!

That could happen (if a company from China buys the camera part of Kodak).

I grew up in Ann Arbor, Michigan - the home of the Argus camera. Argus went belly up after being purchased by Sylvania in the late 1950's. Many years later - in the early 1990's If I remember correctly - I saw an Argus Camera booth at the Photo Marketing Association (PMA) Trade Show with a nice display of old Argus products and a bunch of new low-end 'stuff'. Argus Camera is now a holding company out of Illinois bringing in low end products from Asia. It amuses me to see them still claim the Argus heritage http://www.arguscamera.com/history/index.html

This is what I fear will happen to Kodak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    Based on the work I was involved in, I consider the start of 'the digital revolution' at Kodak to be 1990; at that point Kodak Rochester employment was about 42,000. It is presently about 6,000.

http://www.krlretirees.com/files/Kod..._Rochester.pdf
    So we are talking about a 7:1 compression ratio! That is grim. Really grim.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin