Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,620   Online: 746

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    PE, I would much rather that you run Kodak.
    Thanks, but no thanks!!!!

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    If Kodak were to go out of business then there is just the little matter of the adverse affects of decreasing competition on the consumer.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Amen to that one. I shudder to think what the repercussions would be.

Kodak makes a lot of film. People like us buy a lot of Kodak film. If they go out of business and stop making film, who picks up the slack? And at what cost? Lots of demand and very little supply. Oh...what a headache. $10.99 a roll film might look like a real bargain in a couple a years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Amen to that one. I shudder to think what the repercussions would be.

Kodak makes a lot of film. People like us buy a lot of Kodak film. If they go out of business and stop making film, who picks up the slack? And at what cost? Lots of demand and very little supply. Oh...what a headache. $10.99 a roll film might look like a real bargain in a couple a years.
    Fujifilm would pick up the supply, at least for color print film and a bit of b & w. They would probably do very well with the added volume.

Shooter
    35mm
    It will be interesting to see if Kodak can find a buyer for film manufacturing who wants both the equipment and the name. My biggest fear is they will want only the name.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For a variety of reasons, Fuji may not be able to pick up the slack if Kodak ceases film production.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    For a variety of reasons, Fuji may not be able to pick up the slack if Kodak ceases film production.

PE
    I agree. Increasing your volume out the door for this type of product is not like Saudia Arabia opening up the spigot. Even if Fuji or Ilford have some idle coating machines standing by just waiting to fire up, which I very seriously doubt, the raw materials to supply them just will not be there. Almost all manufacturing companies today work on a very tight supply line where materials arrive at almost the same time they are ready to use them. And then the suppliers themselves probably can't ramp up that fast. Remember, Japan is one of the main practitioners of "just in time" supply chains. Companies are starting to rethink this practice based on some recent natural disasters but nobody has changed the practice yet.

And then there is the QC issue. Just turning up the machines isn't all that has to be done. Then comes the issue of shipping the product to the point where it can be sold. I could go on but I am willing to bet it would take at least 12 months to see any increase in supply from any of the other manufacturers, and that estimate is almost certainly wildly optomistic. Realistically it will likely be 3 years and the price increase will be dramatic.

Kodak may be in trouble, and production is nowhere near what it used to be, but they still pump out a bunch of film. All I have to say is I hope you have lots of film in your freezer if Kodak stops making film, cause it is gonna be a bit of a dry spell.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I surely hope Kodak stays in business but at the very least keep the film and chemistry operations running. My guess is those divisions make money so they should hopefully survive even if it's separated out. I will add, economics being as they are if there's profit to be made in film and chemistry there will be someone making it. Remember what happened with Polaroid....the engineers banded together and formed the impossible project. I also think the lomorgraphy movement....if it's not just a "fad" will help. I should add one final thing there are people who don't even know people still shoot film. Funny story, I was talking about film shooting with someone and someone else came over and when I told him what we were discussing he didn't even know film still existed (and this is a bright educated person.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Stock Up on Little Yellow Boxes

I am not an expert on Kodak or the film business. I do believe that Kodak will stay in business. At least I hope so. But I do know a fair amount about business and what it takes to run and manage a business. I have been following Kodak's little drama with great interest for quite awhile because I personally believe that the outcome will have a huge impact on whether film is able to maintain the small surge it has recently seen, or whether that surge is strangled before it has a chance to qualify as a true come back. I do not believe that film will ever totally go away, it still has a place in our world. But whether you want to believe it or not, that world of film will shrink dramatically, and quickly, if Kodak's film business goes under. Every now and then I read a little post from someone exhorting us to go buy some Kodak film. I think that the movie industry will have a much larger impact on the film business, and I am not sure that a few APUG members, or DPUG members, can really have that big an impact. But it certainly can't hurt. Don't ignore the other film companies, we certainly need them too. But, if you can afford it, try to buy a few extra rolls in the little yellow box. If nothing else, stock up your freezer a bit. You may be glad you did.

Now, before you think that I am just a doomsayer, I can assure you I am not. I am betting more than my film money on Kodak making a comeback. I am not so sure that their current management can pull it off, but I am still buying up their stock. I certainly do not recommend that you do the same as it is probably a fool's play. I know that it is a bit of a speculative play right now but I think that Kodak, and especially film, has a very bright future ahead, and at the current stock prices I cannot resist.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just checked their financials on the WSJ site and indeed they're in the hole big time. However if they can get money to pay off their debts and separate the profitable parts of their business they might make it....in which case Pioneer at 25 cents/share you might win on this one..but it's definitely one for your "Mad money" not money you're not willing to see disappear.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin