Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,049   Posts: 1,561,078   Online: 784

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Fujifilm would pick up the supply, at least for color print film and a bit of b & w. They would probably do very well with the added volume.

This is a valid point.

Maybe fewer, but bigger suppliers.

Perhaps primarily Fuji and Ilford.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cepwin View Post
    it's definitely one for your "Mad money" not money you're not willing to see disappear.
    Without a doubt. Investors in a company filing for bankruptcy usually lose so you never invest the milk money. But it is those little "mad money" bets that occasionally pay off big time. Face it, no one is getting rich buying Treasuries right now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post
    This is a valid point.

Maybe fewer, but bigger suppliers.

Perhaps primarily Fuji and Ilford.
    You obviously dismissed the posts with counterpoints. Or you didn't read them.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What?!

Earlier this year in its U.S. Bankruptcy Court filings, Kodak listed a variety of potential sales, including Cinesite, a special-effects business it unloaded in May, as well as its polyester film business, paper and output systems operation, and the motion-picture film business.
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ion/56149400/1
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We live in interesting times

Shooter
    Multi Format

On Reorganizations.

Once upon a time a CEO of an underperforming corporation was ousted. Since he had a nice golden parachute, he decided to give his successor some good advice.
    "In the top right hand desk drawer," he said, "you'll find three numbered envelopes." When you find yourself in a crisis, open the lowest numbered envelope and follow the advice inside."

The new CEO put on their best phony smile and bade the old CEO farewell. 6 months later the company was still underperforming and the board of directors was not happy. In desperation the new CEO opened the envelope #1. "Blame your predecessor," it read.

This proved to be good advice, and the board, shareholders and business press seemed content to wait for a turnaround. Unfortunately, things didn't get better, so 9 months later the CEO opened envelope #2. "Reorganize," it read.

This again quieted the critics for a while, but in the end, the new executives weren't any better at solving the key business problems than the old ones. Finally, the CEO opened envelope #3.

It read, "prepare 3 letters."

Shooter
    35mm
    I wish I had the money to buy the Kodak film division. I think it would be a profitable business doing what Kodak was doing in the beginning of time that is to make, sell film, paper chemistry and to provide processing for film and optical printing. There may be not much business in film but there isn't much competition either.

Shooter
    35mm
    Any way I had a good chunk of my savings invested in Kodak and now I lost everything but Perez is expecting to get his bonus for losing my money. Wow.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Personally I don't think the Kodak name has any value at all. As it is, most people have no idea that film even exists any more. Second, the Kodak name represents third rate crap cameras and printers. Why does anyone think they are bankrupt in the first place? Their crap didn't sell.

But I do love their film and paper products. It would be a crying shame to lose what is left of them.

I have optimistic hope that the film and paper business will survive and it makes no difference whatsoever what the name is. (as long as it isn't Blix).
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    George Eastman got his ass saved several times by people he treated shabbily. One can say it was different times in the Belle Epoque. EKC later heavily depended on Bell & Howell Co. The latter was a behind-coulisses floatation with an anonymous co-owning. 35-mm., the 16-mm., Double-8, and Super-8 projects were basically developed in Chicago. Super-8 is said to have been Kodak’s biggest single business. Since chemical film now slips into the past EKC has no chance in the long term unless they manage to be productive on a small scale.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin