Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,904   Posts: 1,521,251   Online: 1099

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Target Pulling its Wet Labs

I got the bad news this weekend. This is too bad. The people there know me, and they've never had a mishap with the 100+ rolls of film they've developed for me in three years. It's two minutes from my house. No date, but I was told that all the Targets will be pulling their wet labs soon.

So my options now, in order of preference, are:
    1. Find a new local lab. Wal-Mart and Costco are about the only ones I'll consider. Even so, I think they might mail it out.
    2. Develop it myself. This makes me nervous; everyone in the house is sensitive to stinky chemicals.
    3. Send it to a lab. More expensive, more time consuming. And I just hate dropping undeveloped film into a mailbox.
    4. Shoot more black and white. Well...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    4. Shoot more black and white.
    I vote for #4.

Honestly, any color film I shoot (very little) gets scanned and printed digitally. So few places print medium format color neg that it seems the only solution.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    35mm
    Few Wal-Marts have wet labs. Most if not all have a send-out service. Wal-Mart's send-out service is handled by Fuji, who does C-41 development. Turn-around time is 3-7 days. E-6 dropped off at Wal-Mart, at least here in the midwest, is sent to Dwayne's by Fuji. Add 1 week for E-6 service.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Around here (Dallas TX area), most Walgreens and CVS stores, and selected Costco and Sam's Club stores process C-41 in the store (not send out). WalMart is send-out to Fuji.

If you can't find another local lab, then try #2. It's easy, once you figure out what chemicals to buy. There's plenty of help for that on this forum.

The chemicals for C-41 and RA-4 are not especially smelly. Have some ventilation in the room you process in.

I draw air into my darkroom through a light-tight darkroom louver that I installed in my darkroom door. I have an exhaust vent over my sink that vents to the attic, but it would be much better to vent to outdoors if you can. Make sure all of your ventilation is light tight.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Same thing began happening to me 3-4 years ago. No more Costco film service. Then it was no more film service from my local pro lab, followed by no more film scanning for proofs and prints. We're all seeing the results now of decisions people made about film use at least 5-8 years ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilford makes some pretty low odor fixer which you might want to try for the b/w. For color work I used Citizen Photo in Portland, OR which does an excellent job, is much faster than most labs and the most affordable for slide and color I've found.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    FWIW, I've had no problem mailing (USPS Priority, it has tracking and costs a few dollars) to various labs for my E6 processing (about 30 rolls a year, split into batches of 5+).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know it takes longer, and there is risk mailing film, but I mail my color and have had good results.
    I use Dale Lab. for most of my work, but sometimes use Bison Photo, as I do some 110 film and they do that.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    2. Develop it myself. This makes me nervous; everyone in the house is sensitive to stinky chemicals.
    If you can develop b/w, you can do C-41. Be a little careful about your temps and you shouldn't have any problems. The chemicals are not smelly. I develop mine in a basement bathroom (with bathroom exhaust fan running) and there's plenty of girl stuff in there that's far more smelly than the C-41 chemicals.

If you do decide to try this route, I would suggest getting one of the digibase C-41 kits from Freestyle to start with. The powder kits work OK but the liquid based kits will give you much better results. You could try one of the small kits on a few rolls and decide if it works for you.

That being said, I never had any problems sending film out, but I always worry about my films cooking in a metal mailbox or on a shipping dock somewhere.
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also vote for #4. Do more B&W.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin