Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,652   Online: 940

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well... I will certainly be shooting a lot more slide film. If E-6 goes away it won't be because I did not use enough of it!!!!!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Is this just for the UK market or will it affect the US market also?

Anybody know for sure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Looks like just the UK.

'Fujifilm Professional has revealed that production of a number of its films is to cease. The affected films are Fujichrome Velvia 100F in 35mm, 120 and 4x5 inch formats and Velvia 50 in 4x5 and 8x10 inch. The last shipment of these films will arrive into the UK in December 2012.' - http://www.ephotozine.com/article/fu...ontinued-19729

The announcements have only been on British based sites.

Shooter
    35mm
    That's still not good news, as what gets discontinued in GB eventually gets discontinued elsewhere. It's getting harder and harder for this Team Ostrich member to keep his head buried in the sand.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hmm... I suppose there is still hope then. Fuji still sells 220 format Velvia 50 and 100 only in Japan, albeit at insanely high prices.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I actually think that it's not such a bad thing.

Here's why: There is a limited volume of E-6 sold. Obviously, there is a best seller, a second best and a worst in Fuji's line-up. As such, there is an opportunity to streamline the range. Fuji would have done the due diligence on what sells best, second best and worst. They have simply taken a business decision to remove some of the dying wood. They would have concluded that 100 was the best seller.

It is a far more efficient (not arguing necessarily"better" here; just efficient) business model to only offer one film in E-6 as it reduces variance. And, efficient production models have a greater chance of longevity. You just need to look at Porsche in the 1990s when they basically scaled back to offering only the 911 range to see that this is a proven paradigm.

I think that this decision means that there will be at least one E-6 LF available for a while, yet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    They would have concluded that 100 was the best seller.
    Popular opinion...

http://www.into-the-light.com/2007/0...live-the-king/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    What is sad is that my son just got into film shooting, and he shoots slides like me. The thought of E-6 going away ...
    PROVIA
    VELVIA 100
    These are not going away! Lots more slide film!! Keep shooting! Keep shooting!
    Velvia 50 is also still going to be available in roll film, i.e., 35mm and 120.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Which Fuji E-6 process emulsions will remain in 4x5 and 8x10, and which in 135 and 120?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was gonna post the news but someone did already, sigh, so much for me wanting to shoot 4x5 velvia 50 in the future.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin