Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,055   Online: 944

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

BJP: Fujichrome Velvia 100F gone, Velvia 50 gone for LF

Fujifilm discontinues two professional films

Velvia 100F is no more (last stock being shipped in December), and Velvia 50 is discontinued for LF.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Da Costa, Fujifilm
    It is an unfortunate consequence of digital capture that some of the slower selling silver-halide lines will drop off the radar. Fujifilm will continue to manufacture a wide range of film, and the increasing support for our Choose Film group illustrates there is still a passion for film photography throughout the world.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Wait...what?! I mean 100f, eh whatever, but 50?!?!?! I did not see that coming, especially after the big hoo-ha over it's discontinuance last time!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm incredibly shocked about Velvia 50. A LOT of LF landscape photographers in the UK will be lost with this news.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At least the last shipment isn't until December, I have about 20 each rolls of Velvia 135 and 120 in my deep freeze and it gives me time to buy some more if I wish.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For anyone who knows the British photographer David Ward, the thought of him going digital sometime soon is a bit sad. I'm sure more so for him.

Shooter
    35mm
    I can see the 100F, it's similar to Provia 100F; but the 50? Ugg. Guess it's time to go on an E-6 binge.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, Fuji is still making Provia and Velvia 100 in 4x5 and 8x10, so it's not like everything is going out the door. And according to Fuji, Velvia 100F was introduced in 2003, so I'm guessing that Velvia 100 was supposed to be the replacement, anyways.

And Velvia 50 apparently is still being manufactured in roll film format.

Really, just how much of a market does LF E-6 command, anyways? Not a lot. Kodak dropped E-6 entirely. I had thought they would have whittled it down to 100G, but kept it in production.

Dangit, I always hate stuff like this, although I know it's coming. It's like my feet keep getting closer to the edge of a cliff.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I switched from Velvia 50 to 100 a while ago because I found that they appear damn near identical and I gain that extra stop. Oddly, I feel 100 has slightly more latitude as well. 100f had a weird look to it that I never trusted.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm
    This is how you can help to maintain Film:
    Buy fresh
    buy often
    shoot the lot
    develop ASAP
    And don't use those D things.

At least the last shipment isn't until December
    Velvia 50 will still be made in 135 and 120. Don't worry! Just go out and shoot those 20 rolls! And buy more!
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    35mm
    What is sad is that my son just got into film shooting, and he shoots slides like me. The thought of E-6 going away is very sad for the two of us, as we both like to project our slides. The slides we have will still work in the projector, but when we can't get any more slide film, then what? I can't print all my good pictures at 16x20 - slide film made showing pictures to a group of people a breeze, and when I step up close to the screen, I see more detail, not bigger pixels.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin