Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,991   Posts: 1,524,222   Online: 1141

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Then we shoot B&W. And when B&W film is gone, we coat and shoot glass plate.

Or maybe an Impossible-like project will come along, we could be part of it, and we'll make and sell some crappy approximation of today's decent film that we'll nevertheless be happy to shoot, hipster like, but better than nothing. Until we die. And who cares beyond that?

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipA View Post

Or maybe an Impossible-like project will come along, we could be part of it, and we'll make and sell some crappy approximation of today's decent film that we'll nevertheless be happy to shoot, hipster like, but better than nothing. Until we die. And who cares beyond that?
    I don't know. I doubt it will work out. I love instant film but the Impossible Projects imitations are practically worthless to me. I don't know of any serious photographer who would even consider using it. You'd need a product of at least comparable quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E76 View Post
    I don't know. I doubt it will work out. I love instant film but the Impossible Projects imitations are practically worthless to me. I don't know of any serious photographer who would even consider using it. You'd need a product of at least comparable quality.
    How about better than the original? Fujifilm Instax instant film. Pretty amazing color there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know, E76. I suspect you are mistaken. People create art with the materials that they have available to them. But then, most of us aren't artists. I am probably not even a serious photographer, despite the fact that I shoot all formats and every kind of film from 8x11mm to 8x20 inches. But I have an SX-70. I'm happy to be able to use any instant film I can get for it. I got some great photos of my dog tonight, an old girl, and I fear she won't be with me for much longer. I'm going to treasure these photos. I like photography, even when it's not serious.

I wouldn't say that Impossible film is an "imitation" of anything. I think they are doing their own thing, marketing to the hipster / Lomo crowd. It seems to be working for them. I'd like better color, sharpness, and saturation, but I'll take what I can get. It can be challenging to get what I consider a "good" photo with Impossible film, but I like a challenge. Go browse their galleries. You will find at least some photos you consider good, imitation film or not.

For every serious photograher who won't consider using a crappy approximation of today's decent films, I bet there will be 50 casual photographers who will, if that is all that is available to them. The serious photograhers can go explore digital, if that floats their boat. Ugh. I can't think of anything more lifeless and boring.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    That's all fine and great....until we lose Kodak. Then what?

Fuji could probably buy Kodak's film business.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just would like to point out that the fact that film sales of Fujifilm now account for 1% of sales, while in 2000 it accounted for 19% of sales, doesn't mean - as one would instinctively think - that film sales have dropped to 1/19 of what they were, because in the meanwhile sales of cameras have certainly climbed a lot (not very many digital cameras around in year 2000, and not very many cameras sold by Fujifilm in that year either, Fuji never was a big player in camera making before the digital age).

The two data I would be interested in are:
    - Is film profitable at the moment? (this information should be in the stock exchange filings, although I agree that the attribution of common costs makes this kind of measures always a bit tricky)

- How much film is sold today by Fujifilm compared to year 2000?
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I miss Astia a lot. And I haven't seen Superia 800 or Pro800Z in any format for a while now...
    Don't think I'll miss Pro160 if it goes: never liked it for scanning. And Reala doesn't stand a chance against Ektar100.

Provia100F is so close to Astia nowadays in terms of grain that it is a perfect substitute: my carefully collected Astia Neat Image grain samples all match 99%-100% to Provia RDPIII, which is the best proof they are just about the same!

All Provias are sensational slide films, never seen better. Definitely worth the extra moolah. And Superia 400 (Xtra-400) is a sensational colour negative film nowadays. I've got so much stashed away of both, I think I'll run out of places to develop them before I run out!

Long live Fujifilm. Only wish their digital cameras came anywhere near what their film does. Nope, I really don't like that Xpro-1: there is so much wrong with it... But it's excellent if it sells well, it'll help the film side to stay viable.
    Cheers
    Noons (Nuno Souto)
    Gallery here

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I don't see why any company would sell a part of the company which is profitable - especially Kodak if it's their only profitable part.

Steve.
    The problem is the share holders want more return on investment. If their film business is worth $1 million but the profit is only 1% they declare that profit too small. They then decide it would be better to sell it for the million and invest that money in the next big thing. But they keep getting the next big thing wrong and make no money at all.

Kodak has sold off may parts of the company that were profitable. You can't really find a good buyer for a division that is lossing money. They then used this money for their mostly failed transition into new technology.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I don't see why any company would sell a part of the company which is profitable - especially Kodak if it's their only profitable part.

Steve.
    As Brian said ...

In 2004 Eastman Kodak sold its Civilian and Governments Systems to ITT. C&GS had less than 0.1% of Kodak's employees and brought in over 3% if the profit in 2003. Must feed greedy stock holders ... want brains ... want brains ...
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipA View Post

These post-apocalyptic posts always give me hope.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin