Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,234   Online: 835

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Fuji statement: Commitment to film

Hello dear film friends,

just as an information (and without comment):

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nb2...l#.UAmKn6CT9ju

Best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    35mm
    Their statement leaves Ilford out completely (not to mention smaller manufacturers), so I assume they are speaking here about color films exclusively.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That kind of press release is always welcomed. Good for them for being forthright and public about their current corporate position

The cynical side of me, though, wonders what factors (and how close we already may be to the decision limits) they have set that may change such a corporate position.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A bit of good news!

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think at this point I'd like to see Fujifilm sell the film business, or spin it off. They've said it's less than 1% of their business, but their business is 10's of billions of Euros a year. So the film business is probably still a couple hundred million a year, a huge business by most people's standards.

Let it run as an independent business, same for Kodak.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nakajima said that the company will be required to take measures in the future to improve the profitability of the photo film business, including trimming its product lineup and passing higher costs onto customers.

Translation: Be prepared for even less choice and even higher prices--and possibly the end of production--since it's <1% of our business and likely falling.

I'm filing this with the bubbly interviews with ex-Kodak US marketing manager for professional film, Scott Disabato, who was talking about a "very real resurgence in film" in 2010 and as late as 2011 on the eve of the 1/2012 bad news.

Let's see where we stand Q3-Q4.

Guess Ilford is too small for Nakajima-san's radar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So... Fuji remains in the film business as a service to people who use film, in case EK decides to stop making film?

Well, whatever their reasons, I hope the gentleman quoted speaks truthfully.

Nakajima said that the company will be required to take measures in the future to improve the profitability of the photo film business, including trimming its product lineup and passing higher costs onto customers.
    Higher costs are inevitable, but the "trimming its product lineup" part worries me.
    "What drives man to create is the compulsion to, just once in his life, comprehend and record the pure, unadorned, unvarnished truth. Not some of it; all of it."

- Fred Picker

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thegman View Post
    I think at this point I'd like to see Fujifilm sell the film business......

Let it run as an independent business, same for Kodak.
    I don't see why any company would sell a part of the company which is profitable - especially Kodak if it's their only profitable part.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... ya, but it is always hard to know if htat is real profit or profit "on paper". Accounting hijinks are legion.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    I'm filing this with the bubbly interviews with ex-Kodak US marketing manager for professional film, Scott Disabato, who was talking about a "very real resurgence in film" in 2010 and as late as 2011 on the eve of the 1/2012 bad news.

Let's see where we stand Q3-Q4.
    It's Q3 now, almost 6 months after Kodak filed for ch11, and they still coat film! Yes, they did discontinue their comparatively tiny E6 lines (which weren't their main focus anyway), but even under intense financial pressure they hold on to their coating lines. Think about this ....
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin