Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,718   Online: 783

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    No different than burning a cross while screaming that blacks aren't human.
    That's an extremely poor analogy. You may want to rethink it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found most of the responses intellectually empty. Silly emotional defenses rather than thoughtful answers. I shoot both film and digital, and have never felt the kind of transcendence that some of these guys are ascribing to film. Its just another medium, and I'm glad I have the choice. Some shots work better with digital and some with film. To say that one of them is always inferior is simple ignorance. No different than burning a cross while screaming that blacks aren't human. I doubt such sentiments will influence Kodak to keep making film.

I thought your post was quite agreeable and lucid. Until I saw this intellectually bereft statement: No different than burning a cross while screaming that blacks aren't human. I doubt such sentiments will influence Kodak to keep making film.

Really sir. THIS, from an American!?
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found most of the responses intellectually empty. Silly emotional defenses rather than thoughtful answers. I shoot both film and digital, and have never felt the kind of transcendence that some of these guys are ascribing to film. Its just another medium, and I'm glad I have the choice. Some shots work better with digital and some with film. To say that one of them is always inferior is simple ignorance. No different than burning a cross while screaming that blacks aren't human. I doubt such sentiments will influence Kodak to keep making film.
    How do you know what will influence Kodak? You have your way of looking at things, other people have theirs. Emotional demand supports the sale of many products, and that is as good a reason to manufacture a product and sell it as any. Do you imagine that all film emulsions were invented and marketed solely based upon their technical merits?

All reasons for preferring film, shooting film, or wishing for the continued existence of film matter. Even yours. Because in the end, any reason that translates into SALES is what matters.

Edit: By the way, I'm not facebook literate (don't have an account there), so I might be missing a trick, but I see less than 50 comments on that page. Which of those do you (Chris) consider intellectually empty and unlikely to persuade Kodak? And where is your comment? I'd like to enjoy your doubtless highly intellectual comment.
    Last edited by SkipA; 07-20-2012 at 06:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's a bit extreme... I'm not sure anyone who thinks film is superior to digital (personally I don't... each medium with its own strengths and weaknesses) is necessarily on the same level of profound ignorance as those burning crosses for really stupid and misguided racially motivated reasons.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    That's an extremely poor analogy. You may want to rethink it.
    It represents blind hate and ignorance. That's why I chose it, and it is a perfect analogy. From the responses, you guys seem to think I'm endorsing racism. Quite the opposite. I grew up around that stuff; the biggest KKK group in the United States was based in northeast Indiana when I was a teenager. I found that kind of baseless hate repulsive then and still do.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I never thought you were endorsing racism. To compare people who choose one media over another with racists is absurd, and tasteless. A little thought could have provided a better analogy. This one completely misses...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I found most of the responses intellectually empty. ... I doubt such sentiments will influence Kodak to keep making film.
    Kodak asked for people to tell the world why film matters. They didn't say, "Tell us why we should keep making film, because we're just itching for a good reason to turn off the lights!" If someone's response is emotional, then that's their reason for why film matters to them. If it's a technical reason, then that's fine, too.

I'm another social network avoider, so I can't post on that page why film matters to me.

Why does film matter to me? Because it's a physical construct. Its grains are never in the same pattern, much like every snowflake is different. When I use it, I don't need to worry about Moiré patterns. When I use Kodak color film, I don't spend time worrying that the colors are inacurate. I get a reliable result, time and time again. I get more resolution from film than what an 80Mp camera can deliver, at 1/3,333rd of the price. Each photograph results in a physical object which has been proven to last over 100 years, despite radical changes in technology. Film cameras work as long as film is available, and cameras over 100 years old still function beautifully today. When will digital technology match these things? I don't know. I don't care. I have film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It represents blind hate and ignorance. That's why I chose it, and it is a perfect analogy. From the responses, you guys seem to think I'm endorsing racism. Quite the opposite. I grew up around that stuff; the biggest KKK group in the United States was based in northeast Indiana when I was a teenager. I found that kind of baseless hate repulsive then and still do.
    Simple ignorance (your words) about the differences between film and digital are not the same as "blind hate and ignorance" akin to the acts of the KKK, the analogy is not apt, and though I don't think you are endorsing racism, you seem to be trivializing the suffering of those that were the targets of such " blind hate and ignorance."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for stating that clearly and concisely SuzanneR. I knew what and understood why Chris said what he did, but it was a poor analogy and trivializing what some people suffered with.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    already posted a comment,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin