Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,540   Posts: 1,572,769   Online: 886

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Lucky had a working agreement with Kodak from 2003 to 2007, when Kodak pulled out as they perceived a shrinking market in China.
    But Lucky gained know-how.
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-2SP, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    When a 3rd or 2nd world country modernizes it doesn't go through the stages that a 1st world country went through.

The technology path goes straight from where they are to a level that is on a level with or ahead of the technology of the 1st world.

China will not go through a period of upgrading Lucky film to the level of Kodak's final technology but will leave film development behind and go straight from Holgas to the 12MPix 24x zoom P&S's that are built into their G4/G5 phones, with a commensurate leap in the professional market.
    Excellent point! But ultimately disheartening... and I guess it depends on the influence that a resurgence of film in the west has on their own culture and development. Something we're all responsible for. If only it was Japan.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't feel China will save film - the're going smart phone with camera instead.

If you want to encourage film use, have you considered being a photography merit badge counselor for the Boy Scouts? See http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Photography for the US description.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    ERA film was far superior to Lucky and did Kodak not have something to with the demise of ERA?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    I don't feel China will save film - the're going smart phone with camera instead.

If you want to encourage film use, have you considered being a photography merit badge counselor for the Boy Scouts? See http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Photography for the US description.
    I am one, and have introduced several Scouts to analog. The requirements don't require film but the principles (f/stop shutter speed) that are required are easier to demonstrate with a camera that you can look through.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Kodak had a partnership with Lucky for a while, and then Kodak pulled out when they realized that the people with the disposable income were buying cell phones and digital cameras instead of film cameras. I don't remember what the write-down was, but it was absolutely huge.

No, China won't save film by itself. If Kodak stops selling film, don't expect anybody to take over their equipment. It will get scrapped out, and then business will shift to other surviving manufacturers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Exactly, you, along with friends in Beijing, Shanghai, and Wuhan, have all filed similar reports of not much film and even less processing worth the money(HK is the exception). Why would they tool up to supply a small, probably shrinking export market?
    Well, the hope among all of us here is that the film market isn't shrinking anymore, has found bottom, and maybe ticking up a bit with a film revival.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Kodak had a partnership with Lucky for a while, and then Kodak pulled out when they realized that the people with the disposable income were buying cell phones and digital cameras instead of film cameras. I don't remember what the write-down was, but it was absolutely huge.

No, China won't save film by itself. If Kodak stops selling film, don't expect anybody to take over their equipment. It will get scrapped out, and then business will shift to other surviving manufacturers.
    I didnt mean that Chinese consumers would save film, but rather Chinese manufacturers. China could manufacture film in a cost effective way for export to the west. Something Kodak cannot do even after a decade of trying.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hopefully. As people turn to alternatives for film, those alternatives tend to improve in order to retain their customers. Chinese films will improve.
    Maybe if we are really lucky, Shanghai or Lucky will release color, slide, and b/w LF films. And if we are really lucky, maybe we will even see an instant film in the future.
    Hang on, time to write letters to Lucky and Shanghai.
    I don't care if I have to order film online from the company that makes it. Instead of shipping to stores, just have the customers order it and pay for their shipping. Yet another way to cut costs.
    Then again, maybe I just like shooting film enough that I don't want to complain about who makes the film.
    If a Chinese company makes affordable LF film, I'll shoot it and be thankful that there are still plenty of options for LF film. Hell, if Kodak went under, I'd try and get a hold of some of the processing stuff and start production of a cheap film in china.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    There is a big profit for Chinese companies. Electricity and wages are at 1/10 level of western countries and they can produce everykind of machine 1/30 the price. If they could sell TriX clone for 6.5 dollars a roll , company owners would be very very rich in China. And all doesnt depends on Chinese investors , one of old AGFA , Fuji , Kodak engineers could collect some money from investors and build a industry in China.

China , 6 HP Diesel engine comes for 150 dollars , motorcycle costs 250 dollars etc etc.

I am thinking to live at Singapore at Future andlearn chinese than immigrate to China. Every year China produces
    10 000 000 university graduates , Greece size. If European Union would give 300 billion dollars not to Greece but this 10 million kids , it would turn to 100 trillion dollars.

Idiot Europeans.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin