Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,114   Online: 1035

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Can China Save Film?

Since China has a film producing company, they must immediately go to the front of the line in the list of companies that can save film. Why? Their costs must be very low. I dont know how old Lucky is, but they arent as old as Kodak and never grew as large as Kodak or Fujifilm, so they dont have the legacy problems that these two companies are facing. Of course, their products are not as good (i'm guessing), nor as diverse. But they can get there if there is a real market for film. They could hire PE as a consultant and shoot right to the top in no time.

Lucky Film, imported into the US and other western countries! Hopefully soon.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've never been to China but one of my friend who lived there from 2008-2010 said in China people still use film a lot. Is that true?
    Oh I used Lucky film in the 90s and they were far from quality of Kodak/Fuji/Konica/Agfa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Certainly with my generation - and definitely in China ('flush times') - there seems to be a sense of collective entrepreneurship. Something has to happen before the end and if not, hopefully a phoenix from the ashes. There is enough passion surrounding film that another Ilford popping up has to happen? But something tells me it depends on how slow 'the death' is. If it passes over us, we submit, if films are dropped quicker (although horrible in the short term), it's more of a shock to the system - a motivator for those with the facility to do something about it? With this phasing out I feel we're being manipulated into acceptance. I don't like it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just a pity that PE has a working knowledge of Japanese instead of Chinese. Fate should have decreed that he was stationed in Formosa in his formative photographic years instead of backing William Holden when attacking "Bridges at Toko Ri". Mind you I don't suppose knowledge of Korean would help with the Chinese language

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hopefully not. If Kodak goes away, my sincere hope is that the current users of Kodak products who are serious about analog processes migrate to Ilford's products, which are second to none. I suppose there will always be people who want to use cheap crap, but I'd rather that stuff stayed the way it is, so that Ilford and Kodak might survive and continue to make the venerable materials many of us consider important.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 07-21-2012 at 05:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Hopefully not. If Kodak goes away, my sincere hope is that the current users of Kodak products who are serious about analog processes migrate to Ilford's products, which are second to none. I suppose there will always be people who want to use cheap crap, but I'd rather that stuff stayed the way it is, so that Ilford and Kodak might survive and continue to make the venerable materials many of us consider important.
    Ilford can't help film users who desire color.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Just a pity that PE has a working knowledge of Japanese instead of Chinese. Fate should have decreed that he was stationed in Formosa in his formative photographic years instead of backing William Holden when attacking "Bridges at Toko Ri". Mind you I don't suppose knowledge of Korean would help with the Chinese language

pentaxuser
    One doesnt need to know the the Chinese language to work here. I've been here 3 years and do not speak Chinese. Not much anyway. If I can do it, surely PE can too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MFstooges View Post
    I've never been to China but one of my friend who lived there from 2008-2010 said in China people still use film a lot. Is that true?
    Oh I used Lucky film in the 90s and they were far from quality of Kodak/Fuji/Konica/Agfa
    Hard to say how much film use there is here. I never see anyone who is obviously using film during my walks around here. I did see one day a guy with a 4 x 5 camera once. But for the most part, film is not easily found here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When a 3rd or 2nd world country modernizes it doesn't go through the stages that a 1st world country went through.

The technology path goes straight from where they are to a level that is on a level with or ahead of the technology of the 1st world.

China will not go through a period of upgrading Lucky film to the level of Kodak's final technology but will leave film development behind and go straight from Holgas to the 12MPix 24x zoom P&S's that are built into their G4/G5 phones, with a commensurate leap in the professional market.

Shen Hao and Chamonix cameras and TWSBI fountain pens are examples where China & Co. have been willing to but modern technology to use making retro product. It is very possible that Lucky will go the same route - as you say, they don't have all the baggage to weigh them down.

Ilford had to go through bankruptcy, a split and buy-out of the assets [liabilities, more like] of the B&W bit of the business - and they are now introducing new papers and even cameras [well, more a glorified cigar box, but its the thought that counts (Bloody hell it does)]. I think many here are hoping for the same to happen to Kodak now that it is in bankruptcy court.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Hard to say how much film use there is here. I never see anyone who is obviously using film during my walks around here. I did see one day a guy with a 4 x 5 camera once. But for the most part, film is not easily found here.
    Exactly, you, along with friends in Beijing, Shanghai, and Wuhan, have all filed similar reports of not much film and even less processing worth the money(HK is the exception). Why would they tool up to supply a small, probably shrinking export market?

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin